• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I dont understand

23 posts in this topic

A lovely page. And more of a splash page than most of the "it's five panels but I'll call it a splash 'cause one panel IS a little larger than the others" splash pages that are put on the 'bay of late. I'd have pegged it for well over $100.

The negatives as I see it: The artist is Bill Jaaska and not much has been heard of him for the last decade. Even back then, he was mostly a Teen Titans guy. He's got a nice, clean line but he's never developed a base with collectors. As I type this, you can find a Jaaska TERMINATOR page on CAF for $10 + shipping.

Also, the "Forge" storyline in Uncanny #263 never seemed to grip its audience. I'd guess that there aren't many collectors just dying to get a page, even a splash page, from that particular book.

Finally: The auction ended in mid-afternoon on a Monday. Work and the stream of life kept me away from eBay for most of the day; I'm betting it kept most of the bidders away, too.

Specifically growing up in the era that the piece comes from, and I buy art exclusively from comics I grewup/currently enjoy, I was suprised to see from what/when this page came from. I'm NOT that suprised it didn't sell for more due to the artist/ characters. If I hadn't have known better I would have sworn that was Storm and not Jean Grey. I don't buy pieces with the intention to resell, but if that was indeed your goal with this it's a really a hit or miss piece, reguardless of it's "splash page" appeal. Sorry you took a dent. It doesn't help that the X-Men aren't all the buzz right now, reguardless of the Messiah Complex storyline going on.

Sorry to hear that it went so low Danny.....I was actually considering placing a bid just because it was a nice page. Unfortunately, I'm not a very big X-men fan, so it would look out of place in my small OA collection :(

Hopefully you didn't lose too much money on it :wishluck:

A lovely page. And more of a splash page than most of the "it's five panels but I'll call it a splash 'cause one panel IS a little larger than the others" splash pages that are put on the 'bay of late. I'd have pegged it for well over $100.

The negatives as I see it: The artist is Bill Jaaska and not much has been heard of him for the last decade. Even back then, he was mostly a Teen Titans guy. He's got a nice, clean line but he's never developed a base with collectors. As I type this, you can find a Jaaska TERMINATOR page on CAF for $10 + shipping.

Also, the "Forge" storyline in Uncanny #263 never seemed to grip its audience. I'd guess that there aren't many collectors just dying to get a page, even a splash page, from that particular book.

Finally: The auction ended in mid-afternoon on a Monday. Work and the stream of life kept me away from eBay for most of the day; I'm betting it kept most of the bidders away, too.

Good points

Thanks everyone.. I didnt lose what you would call a huge amount of money, but % wise it was disgusting. I'm payed either 125 or 150 for the page not so long ago. I figured I would have no problem getting my money back :( .

Specifically growing up in the era that the piece comes from, and I buy art exclusively from comics I grewup/currently enjoy, I was suprised to see from what/when this page came from. I'm NOT that suprised it didn't sell for more due to the artist/ characters. If I hadn't have known better I would have sworn that was Storm and not Jean Grey. I don't buy pieces with the intention to resell, but if that was indeed your goal with this it's a really a hit or miss piece, reguardless of it's "splash page" appeal. Sorry you took a dent. It doesn't help that the X-Men aren't all the buzz right now, reguardless of the Messiah Complex storyline going on.
I had no inention of selling it anytime soon, but when you want something you have to sell something, which in this case I wouldve just kept it if Id known I would lose money.