• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I love old fanzines.....

38 posts in this topic

Part of the fun of this hobby are old fanzines. I am not talking the semi-pro stuff, but the old mimeographed, typoed, faded purple ink kind. The ones where, at times, one goes "WTF were they thinking".

A little backstory. I bid on a whole bunch of these things as a lot. Had it in the bag. Got sniped. :cry:

But then :grin: . The winning bidder was a great friend of mine, so I called him to remonstrate and make him suitably ashamed of himself. Long story short is he sent me four of these things (along with some "My Greatest Adventures" that I didn't have and may post later).

Anyway, on with the show. here is the cover to "Popular Heroes Illustrated #2" from September 1964. What an illo. Done by the Assistant Editor of this 'zine, "LW" better known now for his writing and editing - Len Wein:

PHI2P11272x1650.jpg

Next up are three pages of ads from "Fantasy Hero #2", November 1963. Editor is the familiarly named Bill Dubay and he seems to have done an awful lot in this issue. The ads, however are from Howard (tape is not a defect) Rogofsky. Interestingly, he didn't call himself Howard F.H. Rogofsky, unlike his Marvel (M) and D.C. (D) spruikings.

FHHR1524x600.jpg

FHHR21275x1640.jpg

FHHR31232x1506.jpg

Anyway, submitted for your entertainment. Usually any thread I start drops like a stone, but if I gauge sufficient interest I will post some more pages. The "Grey Grasshopper" :sick: anyone?

Here is the "back page" of "The Comic Feature!" number 3 from June-July in the early sixties (I cannot narrow it down any further).

The interesting part is the the back cover formed the mailing address. In this case it was sent to GW Behymer of Richland, Washington by the editor, Larry Walczak.

Does anyone know any of these people - including those mentioned in the text? There is also a mention of a Margaret Gemignani, who has to be that rarest of creatures, a girl interested in funnybooks in the early sixties (apologies to Maggie Thompson and Irene Vartanoff)

TheComicFeatureBP1272x1658.jpg

Oh, BTW, I think the "Bert I Gordon Fan Club" could have its Annual General Meeting in a Phone Booth somewhere lol

Bert I. Gordon.... jeez. I think I've heard of that Len Wein guy from Comet #1.

One of my most-regretted eBay losses from the past couple of years was a piece of original art done in his fanzine days by Bill Dubay, who later edited several Warren magazines. It didn't go for very much, and I could have bid more.

About a year ago there I remember a ton of ALTER-EGO, BATMANIA, etc. up for auction on ebay. I collect these guys, but I dropped out of the bidding when the prices got crazy... something like $150 for an early ALTER-EGO - YIKES!

I hope Roy Thomas got a kickback!

Bill