• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I love old fanzines.....

38 posts in this topic

No, I am not the original owner. They're Western Missouri collection issues - I'm currently consigning a bunch of them on eBay, actually, but probably NOT the Alter Egos, because they're just too damn cool.

cbg402.jpg

Man the old TBGs bring back good and bad memories! When I went away to college in the mid 80s my folks tossed all of the ones that I had, they thought they were just old newspapers and not worth anything like all of the comic books were. At the time it really did not phase me too much but now I really wish that I had them back!

No, I am not the original owner. They're Western Missouri collection issues - I'm currently consigning a bunch of them on eBay, actually, but probably NOT the Alter Egos, because they're just too damn cool.

My first contact with comic fandom was in November, 1963 when Jerry Bails sent me a copy of The Comic Reader.

Do you happen to have any issues from that time period?

BZ (worship) of the legendary GA thread, I hope your search is fruitful.

Since this thread is still on the first page after 24 hours I shall follow through with the threat to post more of the early fanzine stuff. Here is a little something (interview) from "The Comic Feature" #3 in early 1960's. I'll hold my comments until after the image:

ComicFeatureInt1095x1516.jpg

What I find amusing is that even the fanboy interviewer of the esteemed Charlton Editor kind of knew ("Spidey sense tingling") that he was being dissed, although that was a term not known in those days.

The other neat thing is the sale of original art in the early 60's at $25 a page!! That was a lot of money back then. The kicker is that it was only sold to "Qualified Collectors".

What? This is way before internet and in the infancy of Fandom. How does one become a "Qualified Collector"?

There are a few "Clampetts" (Jed and Granny style) on these Boards, myself included. Did anyone secure some of this incredibly expensive OA? The artist couldn't have been paid much more by the publisher to produce it back in the day