• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So.. Is this a joke? What's the story - Action #1 art

18 posts in this topic

I saw the 50some on CAF but I thought there was an early action in the teens known to exist.

Its too bad CAF hasn't been around longer. I'm sure if it had been there since the start of the internet we would have a better understanding of whats out there. Lots of the older collectors who only dabble on the internet haven't put up the really good stuff. There plenty of great pieces out there that need to be shown.

What are the earliest superman covers known? And where can you find pictures of them?

I saw the artwork from an early Action cover a few years back at a convention. I think it was #15 and the price tag might have been $250K.

So whats the most valuable known to exist cover?

Are there any worth more than 250K?

I would say the cover to Weird Science Fantasy 29 by Frazetta. Frank and Ellie have reportedly turned down $250K years ago.

If it's not that, it sure should be. I can't think of a more deserving piece. Comics' greatest artist, Comics' greatest publisher and Comics' greatest cover*.

*for the sake or argument feel free to add "one of" to each/any of those statements :)

This one?

wsf29.jpg

Hmm I've never seen this cover before. It was a bit before my time and when I collected comics I was always more concerned with 1st appearances and the superheroes. While this one has more artistic value that your avg superhero I would assume a key 1st appearance superhero book cover would command more.

Some reasons why it's a reasonable choice:

(a) It's Frazetta

(b) It's maybe Frazetta's greatest comic work

© It's often called "the greatest comic book cover of all time"

(d) EC, in some circles, represents the height of American comics and comic collecting, as we know it, can trace it's roots back to EC fandom

(e) holy that's a cool image!

Not that I am aware of. It hangs in the Frazetta museum in PA.

I got to see it :cloud9:

Well thats why he can't sell it not so much a matter of $200k or 250k not being enough money. People come to see these things. He sells off to many key pieces and the musuem isn't worth going to.

Although you make a good point, the reason he doesn't sell it is that he considers it his FINEST work. When you walk through the museum and house and see original after original of some of the most iconic comic and fantasy art images you realize the breadth and depth of his work.

He has taken paintings of his walls and sold them to collectors so it is not a matter of dwindling the museum collection to a few dozen pieces.

Although you make a good point, the reason he doesn't sell it is that he considers it his FINEST work. When you walk through the museum and house and see original after original of some of the most iconic comic and fantasy art images you realize the breadth and depth of his work.

He has taken paintings of his walls and sold them to collectors so it is not a matter of dwindling the museum collection to a few dozen pieces.

I was trying to state that the real value is hard to determine because of his museum and the desire to keep the museum attractive to the consumer. I think even if he was offered what he believed to be an over fair market value offer he would decline it.

I didn't know he sold other pieces in the past and thats a very good point. However, I would have to assume he has a core group of items he doesn't plan to sell for any price while the museum remains in operation.