• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Apple Comic Show

38 posts in this topic

So I'm thinking about going to the Big Apple Comic Show with a buddy (medstudentnerd). We're not 100% set on going, but definitely thinking it over since neither of us has been to a big show before. Couple of questions to see what you all think:

1. How much money do you bring to one of these (on average)? Do you need to bring a certain amount to "make it worthwhile"?

2. Never having done so in person, does it typically cost anything to get your comics signed by most of the artists/writers?

3. What other sort of things are there to do at these events aside from buying comics? I know some of the dealers at my local show, but it's smaller and I've been going for sometime. Any different here?

We'd pretty much be aiming to take the train down to NYC from CT and we'd end up making a full day trip out of this. Neither of us will be particularly loaded, so would it be worth our while?

Truthfully the con isnt worth traveling for. Only reason I go is because I live in Queens. Ive gone to plenty and rarely enjoy them. I have more fun hanging out and talking to people than doing comic related things.

The list of artists, writers, and stars looks really good for this show. I was only speaking of my past experiances going to the con. Overpriced goods (with some exceptions such as Bob Storms and a couple of others ) , small space, usually the same dealers. You have different collecting tastes than me so it might be a good show for you if you are looking for some books?

Well, I can honestly say that we'd be going more for the experience of it than making any large-scale purchases (either in quantity or quality). I kind of figure that a healthy amount of time would be consumed with waiting in line to meet some of the artists... but other than that, we weren't really sure what to expect.

We have been setting up at this show for 11 years and have sponsered it for the past 2. The same dealers are usually there but you can find bargains and deals if you look for it. Dealers always have new stock. The only difference with this show is that it seems to have a very strong guest list (as MK has stated). I know a lot of dealers who are setting up here that normally dont because there really isnt another major convention after this until MegaCon in March. Also, its the end of the year and dealers might be willing to part with some stuff at better prices. We have toploaders and bags and boards for sale so if any of you make it to the show, stop by and say hi!! Hope this helps a little bit,

Jeff

Oh yeah... in the event we decide to go with the crack option and drive down there- 1. how far away is the closest parking garage 2. will we have a shot in helll of getting in and 3. what the usual price for all day parking? Thanks!

What we do as a dealer is we unload on thursday and take the train in on friday and saturday. I live in Brooklyn so im able to do that. On Sunday we drive in and can usually find a spot on 10th or 11th avenue and walk to the show (its a bit of a hike but you can usually get a spot on the street over there). hey dont tell everyone my secret though!! :)

Jeff

If you've never been to a major show,it's a good one to start with.There won't be a lot of bargins on Sat,but there will be plenty of artists. Most don't charge to sign books.There should be a fairly large board contingency there Saturday. Check out the CGc Forum clubhouse( also known as the Hero Initiative Booth).

all in all,its a fun show,but not anything like the mega-cons have become.

There are underground gargages not too far from the con, not sure of the price but it wont be cheap

Are you suggesting he park in the Lincoln Tunnel? hm

:baiting:

Actually,if you go down 37th street,there is a parking lot on top on the Lincoln Tunnel. Its one of the cheapest spots in the area,provided there is no event at the Javits Center. Then on the walk back to the show,you can stop at Grays Papaya and enjoy the nector of the gods for only $1.95

www.grayspapaya.com

i didn't know they had parking in the lincoln tunnel.... where abouts?

Anywhere you want Jimbo, just go about half way through and pull over. Parking spots are not marked, so you get to choose.