• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sources for Print Run Information?

20 posts in this topic

I found this for print run info on Valiant comics:

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/printruns.asp

but where does one find out how many copies of other comics (particularly older ones) were printed? Is there some kind of large index out there somewhere?

- SK

The Standard Catalog of Comic Books is a great tool for this,it's by the editors of CBG( Krause Publications) and costs $35.95.

It is HUGE though...

The hardcover version of Volume 1 sold out fast at Wizard Chicago about 2 years ago. Softback may still be available or wait until Vol. 2 comes out around summer, 2004. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Softcovers can be had on ebay for cheap if you're just a little patient.

For the more modern books, I think they used Capital City and Diamond Distribution numbers...

Though there are some caveats mentioned in the beginning of the book

to explain that the numbers may be partial only...

For older books, I assume they're using the announced numbers from the

subscription/circulation notices.

I'll get the 2nd edition next month and check it out...

I only briefly looked at a first edition while I was in a bookstore once.

For the more modern books, I think they used Capital City and Diamond Distribution numbers...

You are correct Valiantman; CC and DD were the main sources of reference for distribution numbers used by the Standard Catalog of Comic Books/Krause Publications.

In reference to Underground Comix (UG's), the New Wave Underground Comix Price Guide in 1982 by Jay Kennedy remains as the only source that provides the Underground Comix collector with not only distribution totals, but actual numbers for total books printed off the press. Although my research over the years has shown that some of Kennedy's numbers were actually off-base, a large chunk of Kennedy's research into the number of undergrounds which were actually printed -- for not only each title and issue number, but for each printed variation -- to be one of the most concise and ambitious research undertakings EVER. It goes without saying that this body of work cannot be improved upon in the area of recorded printing/distribution totals, and distinguishing printing variations and recorded totals for each independent publisher and their production runs.

Maybe a dumb question here, but where do these guys get their numbers? (i.e. how accurate are these numbers???) confused-smiley-013.gif

Circulation numbers are actually relatively easy to find - the tough ones are for actual sales numbers as opposed to books sold to retailers. If I print 50,000 copies of Smegma Man 1 and sell all of them to a retailer through Diamond, I can claim 50,000 sales. If that same retailer only sells 2 to customers, its still a 50K seller.

They make them up! And they're in bed with Wizard! Especially on VALIANT numbers which were all inflated every single damn one of them sucked they all sucked everything sucks Matrix sucks ;adsgk q nlk31y4l;k3 5l'kqfhl ';m'k, xbnlkqewy4nkqeynbdf'nlkbxz'kzdhb'wqr5u'k,q5ey 'aerl'adsf ml'afd'lk q ey nl'k3q[opiuaerk /nlbxz n/ bdx nl'ks arl ';aeyr n'k

Damn, Donut.

You need to get a handful of Jerkin's Lotion and head for the Latrine.

gossip.gif

You're a little tense tonight. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Damn, Donut.

You need to get a handful of Jerkin's Lotion and head for the Latrine.

gossip.gif

You're a little tense tonight. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He's impersonating CI/JC...... gossip.gif

27_laughing.gif

Sorry to interrupt.

I've been holding off buying the Standard Catalog because the 2nd edition

is due October 31st, 2003...

Amazon listing

The latest CBG is advertising that the 2nd edition is for sale NOW. There's no indication that it isn't available until Oct 31, although I suppose that is possible.

The 1st edition had 50 hardcovers, this time they're printing 500 hardcovers.

Softcover is $34.99, hc is $50. S&H is $4 for 1 book, $2.25 for additional - to US addresses. non-US is $21/$6.

Order online at www.collect.com, or 1-800-258-0929

The latest CBG is advertising that the 2nd edition is for sale NOW. There's no indication that it isn't available until Oct 31, although I suppose that is possible.

Softcover is $34.99, hc is $50. S&H is $4 for 1 book, $2.25 for additional - to US addresses. non-US is $21/$6.

I found a 10/28/2003 date on the Walmart website...

(Walmart has all these books? Who knew?)

$22 is a good deal