• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Some Words Of Wisdom....

67 posts in this topic

... from all you high volume slab sellers.

I am getting ready to dump almost 200 slabbed books. Lots of BA, a bunch of SA, some pedigree books and etc..

I realize that chances are better with auction houses like CL or HA, but how simple are they to use.

Ebay for me has been a very easy avenue to use and I could manage it without a hitch. The ending may or may not be as strong as the other auction houses.

I thought about listing them in my Ebay store but hate the notion that the longer they sit there the greater the urge I will have to keep them doh!

Any sane advice or ideas would be appreciated.

for 10%, an auction house like Clink does all the work...Comic Connect has a big auction coming up in Feb, too, that might be an option...all you do is ship the books to them, and they do all the work

rick

Nik,

The very first thing you do is send a list to your trusted customers, with the price you want for them (screw GPA or whatever...list them at what you need from them) and see how many bites you get. Sent to the right people, you will have no arsing around about pricing, no problems about non-payment...nice, easy transactions.

Once that's been done, what is left - and how much you've moved and at what price - may well guide your next action.

Just my 2c

Nick

I ran into a similar situation earlier this year. I had 275 Bronze Age slabs I wanted to move. None of them were super valuable or high grade so CLink and Heritage were out of the question. I put them all up on eBay ending 60 - 90 seconds apart. To my surprise 90% of them sold for well over GPA, some double and triple. The key factor was the number of slabs available, almost everyone bought multiples and bid accordingly.

Like you have a hard time selling books Nik... lol

I think I would work on selling them off on the boards first, then decide on what is left and go from there.

IMO...

:grin: that's an EXCELLENT idea :grin:

Yes. I don't think you'll have a problem selling the nice slabs. Even selling unwanted slabs is merely a function of price usually.

The logistics of shipping 200 slabs though... that's the big time commitment. Paypal's shipping labels and electronic payment (and packing slips) make it easier. Getting Priority Boxes mailed to your house/business free makes it easier.

Packing the slabs though and bubblewrap... major headache.

I've started using the really BIG bubblewrap (1/2 inch bubbles)... but that's only because I got 2 free HUGE rolls of them from a client. They're like $70 a roll for a bundle of 3 normally. Storing the rolls though.. takes some space.

Good luck!

I would love it if you listed them here though i remember what you said last time after your slab sales thread :(

You know I love all you guys here in a manly way :sumo:

I have no problem listing Raw books here and leaving maybe money on the table but I pretty much believe that selling slabs here, unless you sell them for, nevermind below GPA, sometimes below OS Raw guide is crapshoot.

I would love it if you listed them here though i remember what you said last time after your slab sales thread :(

I have no problem listing Raw books here and leaving maybe money on the table but I pretty much believe that selling slabs here, unless you sell them for, never mind below GPA, sometimes below OS Raw guide is crapshoot.

I tend to agree with you Nik regarding prices realized on slabs sales here(no offense Marketplace :foryou:), but as the other Nick said earlier it sure would not hurt to send out a list of what you have for sale, and what you want for them. Or for that matter post the list here and see what sells. And as Nick also said, throw GPA out the window, ask what you want/need for the books and see if anything moves here before throwing them out there to the deep end of the pool.

If anything it will help you organize your sales list, nail down pricing and avoid listing fees until absolutely necessary.

Ze-

I have no problem listing Raw books here and leaving maybe money on the table but I pretty much believe that selling slabs here, unless you sell them for, nevermind below GPA, sometimes below OS Raw guide is crapshoot.

I don't know, I'm only able to check the boards a few times a week. Every time I look

in the for sale section, I see desirable books being listed at relatively low prices and snapped

up immediately, so I rarely am able to pick anything up. It's almost like people are afraid

to price at all aggressively for fear of being called out on the boards. I'd prefer if people

put asking prices on nice books that might at least ensure they'll last a few hours before the

inevitable :takeit: appears. For the books I'm most interested in, I'm not averse to paying

a healthy price, and most nice books fit that category for someone.

As other have said, you could just type a list (no scans if you don't want to) and post them and say the prices are firm :sumo:

Everyone but gman should respect that :foryou:

The only time I ever packed more than 10 books half of them cracked in transition :tonofbricks: Thats the only time I EVER had a problem when shipping slabs

That's because you shouldn't put 10 slabs in one padded envelope!

:makepoint: