• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you do?

8 posts in this topic

If you buy a piece of art off of the internet with a fair amount of atat unmentioned in the description? This is the second time it has happened for me so I am kind of kicking myself for not asking the seller more questions regarding everything about the piece. I just went to see if I could tell from the scan and I would say you would be hard pressed to tell unless you knew there were stats and totally scrutinizing the piece. I am not totally unhappy at all but the piece definitely does not look nearly as smooth as the scan would tell and I think the price realized could possibly have been less if it was stated in the description.Is it standard for title logos to be all stat? If so then my bad however this logo stat has been cut up all types of ways and reattached to the piece in several spots. Before I show the piece, (I don't want to light the torches) any thoughts? Thanks.

It's fairly standard, and shouldn't be unexpected, for title logos to be all stat.

This is one of the pitfalls of paying lots of money for art you only see represented as a jpeg on the internet! Personally, I'm most infuriated when I purchase a piece of modern art from a recently published book from the artists rep and no mention is made in the page description that part of the art is stat.

I purchased a semi splash page from an artists rep, and the character's HEAD was a stat. It was impossible to tell from the scan, and when the art got to me, I, like you, felt that I wasn't entirely unhappy with it. But you know what? If you're troubled enough by it to post here, I bet this will be one of the first pieces to fall under the axe when it's time to sell.

If you have any reservations at all, they will grow in time. See if you can get the seller to provide a refund? BUT if it's only the title logo, I don't think they should have to, as that kind of comes with the territory.

Earlier this year I bought a page off eBay only to find one of the panels, with a key character was a stat. I wasn't best pleased but wanted the page still...quite torn! I told the seller and after a little back and forth, got a slight refund to adjust what I paid to be more in line with what I would have bid knowing that there was a stat. I still would have bid on the page knowing that there is a stat, just slightly less.

Still like the page though!

Hopefully you can do something similar...

I bought a page that was almost entirely stat! But it was my fault for stumbling onto an auction that was ending and not reading the description carefully.

I quickly sold the page to someone who didn't care and only lost about $10 in the deal. :grin:

Yes, it is very common for title and logos to be stats.

That's how for dozens of issues in the run the corner box and the title looked exactly the same every time no matter whom the cover artist would be.

As well, artists don't know what blurbs and statements the editors will want to add on the cover "A TITANIC TALE TOLD IS THE TRADITIONAL MARVEL FASHION" etc. The artists just created the image, the final look of the cover comes much later.

They would make copies and just paste them down. One issue after another.

In your case it sounds like they had to cut the logo or title to show parts of the art or to fit around some image. This was very common.

I don't pay less for a cover with statted logos and titles. But I do pay MORE for them and for splashes where the title and logo is P&I on the board itself. That is why I love Silver Age title splashes so much. In most cases you got more and better art on the interior than on the cover.

The common question I always ask when buying a piece of art is "are there any NON-LOGO stats?". That will cover any stat that is in the art area, that covers a character or face or background.

Of course, that won't stop certain sellers from lying to you anyway, which has happened to me with at least 1 major art dealer.

C

What are your thought about taking the stats off and selling the page as is.

People will then see the real original art as is

Why would you ever remove a stat? It's only make the piece worse in my eyes. It's not representative of the published image, and there's likely to be glue staining underneath.