• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK shipping advice for slabs

11 posts in this topic

I've searched. I really have. I need to ship 2 slabs to the UK. What are my best options? This is a trade and not a large dollar amount transaction. Accordingly, economy and speed are valued. Tracking and possibly insurance are not needed but a bonus if moderately priced.

Thanks in advance.

I've searched. I really have. I need to ship 2 slabs to the UK. What are my best options? This is a trade and not a large dollar amount transaction. Accordingly, economy and speed are valued. Tracking and possibly insurance are not needed but a bonus if moderately priced.

Thanks in advance.

I wrestle with this problem all the time...

I finally just gave up and paid the $35.15 for Flat Rate Priority International. (After a certain weight, you can't use First Class International and two slabs will bring the weight well over 2 lbs usually.)

If you figure some other method out, I'd be very interested in the solution. (thumbs u

According to the USPS website, first class intl is up to 4 lbs.

2 slabs should be 3 lbs or less and cost $23.20 at the post office.

Priority intl if done online for 3 lbs is only $26.60.

Actually, you're right. It's 4lbs. My packages to the UK tend to be pretty heavy usually so I can't qualify for the lower rates.

EDIT: The EMPTY Priority box can range in weight from 7.3 oz to 8.6 oz. (I just grabbed two boxes and weighed them.) These were the older Priority Flat Rate Boxes though. So let's assume an average box is about 8oz or half a pound.

I have a hard time getting my priority boxes below 2lb for one slab and about 3-4 bagged and boarded comics as freebies with bubble wrap (and the packing slip.) So I agree that 2 slabs by themselves should weigh less than 3 lbs together. Coupled with the box weight of 8 oz, it should still be less than 4lbs (if there are no other comics thrown in.). (thumbs u

Take a 1092 Priority Box, turn it inside out. You can get 3 slabs using the real thick bubble wrap and should be able it ship it Air Mail for around $25.00

Using Intern. Priority Boxes suk, as it costs at the very least $20 for 1 slab plus having to fill out extra paperwork.

I am sending 2 slabs packed inside a smaller FedEx box with bubble wrap and then inside a priority box with peanuts and it weighs about 3 lbs (need to keep it below 4 lbs.) and am shipping USPS Global Priority for $28. You can do the $23.20 1st class rate as previously suggested but that takes longer...Priority is estimated at 6-10 days but my last shipment to UK this way arrived in less than 6 days...

I trudged around the USPS site and here trying to figure out the best way. With 2 slabs, bubble wrap and a priority box, it weighs 2 lbs 7 oz. Total for priority is ~$27.

I just didn't know if there was some secret method the regular int'l shippers here used.

Thanks for the help.