• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The National Reports..

41 posts in this topic

Mini-Report. More later.

Saw and talked to Harry (Burntboy), Matt Nelson, Mark Haspel, Brian Ketterer (Foolkiller), Paul Merolle (silverandbronze), Harley Yee and his brother Ron, Bob Storms, Ted (Superworld comics), Byron & Maria (tvcomics), Bill (Shadroch), Andy (Golden Age Collectibles), an artist Joe Califiore who turned out to be the brother of an old school chum of mine....Carmine Infantino, who asked Harry for two million to sign the gorgeous giclee print of one of the Sid's Luncheonette I scanned for Harry who was patient enough to wait over a year for it......Tom Gordon....JC from Gemstone.

Spotted..... Tom Brulato, Ayers in full uniform...not kidding...Mason Reese...still as homely as ever....the guy who played Chekov on Star Trek....a woman from Lost.....and 800 fanboys. The blue chick from Farscape.

I didn't buy a single thing. Met my daughter and she spent an hour roaming around with me (patient girl) before I took her out to lunch. Tried to find Harry and Bill later at the bar they went out to, but didn't find them.

I took about three photos. Will post them tomorrow.

Red Hook

PS.....disappointing news....Steve (Big Dog) Borock took ill and returned to Sarasota. Get better fast BD!

I think the show is busier than previous years. As i sit at my booth and watch everybody walk by, there seems to be an expression of happiness on everyones faces. (Except the guy who stole my chair, i got it back). I think new yorkers were craving for a show as there has not been one in quite a while. I met Andrew (GAcollectibles). Nice guy, we chatted for a bit. Thats all that i met. If anyone sees me, im the guy selling the bags, boards, toploaders and gerber products (whats left of it, thanks everyone!!). stop by and say hello.

Jeff

Spent the better part of the afternoon there.An awful lot of the same old,same old.

Went with cash and some prime trade bait looking for an Avengers1.Ended up selling some of the trade bait and without a #1. But I did score an Avengers Tumbler.

Picked up a copy of The Three Minute Sketch book and had it signed by many of the artists.- Neal Adams, Ayers,Tim Sale,Norm Breyfogle,Alan Weiss,Frank Cho,Bob Layton,Sean Chen,Tim Vigil,Sergio Aragones,and Bernard Chang. The latter few all drew additional sketchs for me in the book on their page. The book includes several blank pages and Mark Bode,Jimmy Palmotti,Dave Simons all took the three minute challenge. Joe Simon and Carmine Infatino wouldn't do a sketch but autographed the book.It's a great book for a great cause and I had a lot of fun making the rounds. Most artists hadn't seen the finished product yet,so it wasn't like they were signing their 15,000 Green Lantern or whatever.

In the GOOD NEWS Department,I'm happy to report that Harley finally moved the Superboy 89 he has had since at least 2004.I guess if you hold on to a book long enough,someone will pay the price. Unless it got stolen.

The CGC dinner was much smaller,but quite enjoyable.As was watching several out of town forumites attempting to navgate the NYC subway maze and its newfangled technology.

Picked up a copy of The Three Minute Sketch book and had it signed by many of the artists.- Neal Adams, Ayers,Tim Sale,Norm Breyfogle,Alan Weiss,Frank Cho,Bob Layton,Sean Chen,Tim Vigil,Sergio Aragones,and Bernard Chang. The latter few all drew additional sketchs for me in the book on their page. The book includes several blank pages and Mark Bode,Jimmy Palmotti,Dave Simons all took the three minute challenge. Joe Simon and Carmine Infatino wouldn't do a sketch but autographed the book.It's a great book for a great cause and I had a lot of fun making the rounds. Most artists hadn't seen the finished product yet,so it wasn't like they were signing their 15,000 Green Lantern or whatever.

(thumbs u glad you liked it!

pretty sure that Shad meant Joe Simon.............

i had one of my best cons ever. met up with a bunch of boardies during the day, had dinner with some more later that evening, helped Silver and Bronze at his Toon Tumbler table (picked up Bullwinkle and the Avengers), manned Matt Nelson's small booth for a shor while, spent quite a bit of time talking to Byron and maria (TV Comics - their little light sabers were doing quite well) and even chatted a bit with Mr Storms.

my highlight ws getting that long-awaited print of my copy of MIS #90. Brad does them in OA size and it was mounted and framed. and then one of my personal alltime favorite artists signed it - Carmine Infantino (SA Flash, Deadman, Adam Strange, B&B, etc).

negotiating the NYC subway is quite a challenge for the newbies and getting to and from Shun Lees was quite the adventure, although Shad and Paul weren't all that much better at it than Ellen and I................Harry.

Two more photos.....

Matt Nelson expounds on the joys of niche collecting....

nelsonexpounds.jpg

and this is a funny one......saw Chuck R. working his way through a table of long boxes and decided to capture the moment. Only when I got home did I realize I got a pic of Paris Fred looking extremely excited about his latest finds! Sorry I missed you PF! Unless I'm mistaken, that's Tom Brulato to Chuck's right.

chuckparisfred.jpg

Oops,I miissed one of my con hi-lites.

At the same table that Brad took the picture of MH Chuck,I overheard Captain Woodchuck himself arguing over what he percieved as an overgraded book.The book in question was a GA book with a name scribbled across it. The seller was saying that the writing shouldn't affect the grade. Chuck replied that his buyers had higher expectations and that MH has the tightest grading in the biz.

Oops again.

So that's Tom Brulato. I ran into him and we kind of recognized each other from shows in the late 80s,but I couldn't remember his name.Only that he always spent a lot of money for the small shows we'd meet at.He hasn't changed much in the fifteen years since we last talked.

One other hilight for myself was running into Haywood Nelson(Dwight from Whats Happening). I used to coach him on a basketball team when I was a Senior in HS and he was a freshman.It was nice to find out he keeps in touch with many of the old gang even though he lives out on the wrong coast.I don't and I live thirty miles away.