• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The National Reports..

41 posts in this topic

Oops again.

So that's Tom Brulato. I ran into him and we kind of recognized each other from shows in the late 80s,but I couldn't remember his name.Only that he always spent a lot of money for the small shows we'd meet at.He hasn't changed much in the fifteen years since we last talked.

One other hilight for myself was running into Haywood Nelson(Dwight from Whats Happening). I used to coach him on a basketball team when I was a Senior in HS and he was a freshman.It was nice to find out he keeps in touch with many of the old gang even though he lives out on the wrong coast.I don't and I live thirty miles away.

damn you're old

Oops,I miissed one of my con hi-lites.

At the same table that Brad took the picture of MH Chuck,I overheard Captain Woodchuck himself arguing over what he percieved as an overgraded book.The book in question was a GA book with a name scribbled across it. The seller was saying that the writing shouldn't affect the grade. Chuck replied that his buyers had higher expectations and that MH has the tightest grading in the biz.

He must have lots of elves working in order to tightly grade and load 10k books a day.

Here is my mini-report. Only went one day (Sunday) got there shortly after 10, first thing I did was drop off some raw modern UXM to be graded at the CGC booth. Saw and chatted a little bit with Mark Haspel and Bradley X2. Also chatted with Kevin Boyd. Walked the room a bit, found some stuff for my secret santa. I saw the guys from Hotflips and introduced myself and I also met Sharon (skypinkblu) and her husband. Two very nice people. We chatted a bit and Sharon took me over to meet Andrew(GACollectibles) and we chatted some more. We parted ways and was on my hunt for the few missing books in my x-men set.

Went over to Bob Storms booth but no luck. Then to Superworld. Still no luck. Looked at the stuff Metro was selling, They had one book I was looking for ( a nice X-men 57 CGC 9.4) Stopped by Dale Roberts booth and chatted with him but still no luck. Brian (Foolkiller) stopped by when I was there and quickly said hello before departing. Walked past soem people dressed as jedi and some guy(?) dressed as some sort of fairy with cardboard wings and pigtails. Don't ask. Saw Walter Koenig signing autographs. Chatted with Paul(silverandbronze) at his booth for a while. Having no luck, I was about to call it a day when I ran into Ghost Town and decided to hang a bit more. We walked the floor, chatting about our recent pickups. He was on the hunt for high grade 25 cent Marvel Picture Frames. We chatted some with Shelton the organizer of Heroes Convention Charlotte. A little bit later I had enough and headed out

The forum dinner Saturday night was smal but very nice. Harry (Burntboy) and his wife were as charming as ever. I got to meet and chat with Paris Fred who was very nice. I also go to meet forumite (Bill)Shadroch and (David) dm1138??Sorry if I got your CGC name wrong.Silverandbronze was there as well. Mark Haspel and Bradley X2 were there to represent CGC and Mark brought with his friend Mike and collector Tyler Pokrass. We were given a small private area near the bar and a great time chatting comcs. We also had the chance to introduce ourselves which was very nice. Steve Borock was missed and we all hope he gets better soon but Mark did a fine job hosting this year's National forum dinner. (thumbs u

Not much for me to report on at the National...

stopped by many of the dealers' booths... nothing spectacular anywhere really -- Joe Verneault and Gus of silver age had the most intriguing new stuff -- lots of new DCs. Many of them had page quality that wasn't amazing... but many of them had remarkable gloss and good color strike.

Picked up a few books here and there... spoke to Paul Meroli, saw a bunch of forumites... had lunch with Dave, Gene, and Hari... very enjoyable time!

New York is always fun... and this was a fun way to end the comic show year!

Hey everyone.

Im finally back at my warehouse unloading. I thought the National this year was pretty good. I think there were a lot more people that turned out than in previous years. I met some Forumites. KC123us came over and we chatted a bit (nice to meet you) and Sharon (skypinkblu) and her husband are always a pleasure to talk to. Got to talk to Neal Adams for about a half hour about the Ali/Superman book with my friend so that was cool (And he gave me a free cookie!!) I also got to see a couple of artist friends of mine that i hadnt seen in a while (Mark Sparacio and Billy Tucci). They are always real cool. Got to talk a lot with Guy Dorean about getting special artist backing boards made up. Bought a couple of books from Harley and talked trash to the Neat Stuff crew. That was pretty much my weekend.

Oh, and Haywood Nelson's character on What's Happening was Dwayne. Just an FYI.

Wish i got to meet more of you guys from this board. Maybe next time. Next show im doing is the Steel-City Con. If you see me there, stop by and say hi!!

Oh and Chuck from MH bought about 10 long boxes from me and 30 Treasury Books.

Here is my mini-report. Only went one day (Sunday)

. Walked past some guy(?) dressed as some sort of fairy with cardboard wings and pigtails. (thumbs u

Wait! Parker was there?? :o

:signfunny:

Hey everyone.

Im finally back at my warehouse unloading. I thought the National this year was pretty good. I think there were a lot more people that turned out than in previous years. I met some Forumites. KC123us came over and we chatted a bit (nice to meet you) and Sharon (skypinkblu) and her husband are always a pleasure to talk to. Got to talk to Neal Adams for about a half hour about the Ali/Superman book with my friend so that was cool (And he gave me a free cookie!!) I also got to see a couple of artist friends of mine that i hadnt seen in a while (Mark Sparacio and Billy Tucci). They are always real cool. Got to talk a lot with Guy Dorean about getting special artist backing boards made up. Bought a couple of books from Harley and talked trash to the Neat Stuff crew. That was pretty much my weekend.

Oh, and Haywood Nelson's character on What's Happening was Dwayne. Just an FYI.

Wish i got to meet more of you guys from this board. Maybe next time. Next show im doing is the Steel-City Con. If you see me there, stop by and say hi!!

Oh and Chuck from MH bought about 10 long boxes from me and 30 Treasury Books.

Thanks for the report.

I was a bit disappointed by the organization of the show. It seems like a lot of the scheduled panels were cancelled at the last minute. I know two of the three I was interested in seeing did not happen. I also wasn't thrilled with the way they intruded on the one panel I did attend with some stupid promo stuff for something that had nothing to do with the subject of the panel.

Being as how I am mainly an underground collector, I was quite surprised to see there was a decent amount of dealers who carried some undergrounds. No one had more than a box or two, but even that is more than what I found the last time I went to a large show, Wizard World Chicago in 2006.

I was pleased to meet some of the underground comix greats. Kim Deitch was especially great to talk to, I spent at least a half hour there talking to him. Great stories.

Nice VALIANT comics presence there, it was neat to see all the creators who worked together years ago get together and have a lot of fun, both during and after the show.

Chuck replied that his buyers had higher expectations and that MH has the tightest grading in the biz.

:o

bsflag.gif

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Oh my god, that's one of the funniest thing I've read on these boards.

I attended the con on Saturday. Sold a small batch of books to Gary Platt to obtain

some folding money. For several hours I was completely frustrated in finding any books

I needed at a reasonable price. I picked up a small handful of really nice late bronze age

DCs from Dale Roberts. Got a REALLY nice CGC 9.4 Detective 468 (looked like a 9.6 to

me) from Stephen Ritter. Ended up biting the bullet on a CGC 9.6 X-Men 119 from Harley

(didn't want to go home without making some progress on that run).

Ultimately, I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed by the "ask for the moon" aggressive

pricing on many 9.4 slabs. I expect it with 9.6's, but when 9.4's are routinely priced at

6-7 x overstreet 9.2, I'm perplexed. I really have a hard time believing that GPA on a 9.4

Spidey 114 is $515, or $175 for a 9.4 Action 391. The 2 9.4 slabs I did get were very fairly

priced at a little over 2x. I understand that demand and rarity vary, but isn't a GPA multiple of

over 4 for a post-1965 9.4 pretty uncommon?

Anyway, it was a fun show overall, I always wish I could stay longer.

One last high point was getting a first hand look at Matt Nelsons made from scratch Action #1.

Evidently,for some reason,Mr Nelson created an entire AC #1 from the ground up.

He wasn't at the booth when I was shown it,nor later when I returned to ask about it.

I'd love to hear what went into this project.

It wouldn't fool a comic collector,nor was it intended to,but it was neat to see.

I'm a little irritated that I thought I could manage my haul just in my backpack and didn't bring a cart. It would have made the day less stressful and I would have stayed longer (and I guess spent more money...)

Can we get a confirmation of whether Joe Simon was there or not? He cancelled his appearance at Heroes the very last minute this year due to health concerns. He is on my wish list of creators to meet.

Great reports one & all!! Thanks!!

I attended the con on Saturday. Sold a small batch of books to Gary Platt to obtain

some folding money. For several hours I was completely frustrated in finding any books

I needed at a reasonable price. I picked up a small handful of really nice late bronze age

DCs from Dale Roberts. Got a REALLY nice CGC 9.4 Detective 468 (looked like a 9.6 to

me) from Stephen Ritter. Ended up biting the bullet on a CGC 9.6 X-Men 119 from Harley

(didn't want to go home without making some progress on that run).

Ultimately, I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed by the "ask for the moon" aggressive

pricing on many 9.4 slabs. I expect it with 9.6's, but when 9.4's are routinely priced at

6-7 x overstreet 9.2, I'm perplexed. I really have a hard time believing that GPA on a 9.4

Spidey 114 is $515, or $175 for a 9.4 Action 391. The 2 9.4 slabs I did get were very fairly

priced at a little over 2x. I understand that demand and rarity vary, but isn't a GPA multiple of

over 4 for a post-1965 9.4 pretty uncommon?

Anyway, it was a fun show overall, I always wish I could stay longer.

Stronguy made me realize that I can access GPA on my phone! DUH! :makepoint:

I ended up doing just that when going through the slabbed Vampirella's that I bought at WW Texas.