• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Part of Comics History Gone...

11 posts in this topic

I was sad to hear this weekend that the Sheradon Bal Harbour (formerly The Americana) Hotel was demolished to make room for a new spiffy high rise condo.

What does this have to do with comics? Well the site was the location of Miami's biggest Comics convention ever back in 1975... Miamicon I.

miamiconcover.jpg

Everyone who was anyone in comics attended. Adams, Kirby, Lee, Bode, Beck, and others too numerous to mention. I attended as a young lad and to this day it is still one of the most pleasent comics experiences I've ever had. Everytime I visit Miami and pass the place (used to live not far from the Hotel), I fondly remember the convention. Now there isn't anything left to remember it by... :(

Jim

Nice info I wasn't even born then,

The answer to the question no one asked or cares about.

:signfunny: That wasn't very nice, but it was funny all the same...

I went to that con. I was 16 years old. I lived in Miami Beach at the time. Can't say I remember much about it though.

I remember the con vividly. Entrance was $3.50. The dealer's room was in the hotel's main ballroom. Set-up in 4 ailses with a dealer's and creator area. There was also 2 movie rooms. It was there I saw Night of the Living Dead and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (theatrical version I didn't know existed) for the first time. I had nightmares about Night for weeks afterwards.

Maybe I remember it so well because I was so young (10) and had never been to something like it before.

Back in the late-90s I bought the con program off eBay. Here's a link...double click on Program Contents to get the full program...

MIAMICON I Program

Jim