• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

17 years later...got my GRAIL...SHOWCASE 4

68 posts in this topic

I hope Forumites will indulge me as I make a separate thread devoted to this acquisition which arrived this morning.

I've been trying to get a SHOWCASE 4 since 1990.

Apart from the fact they are harder to find than a condom in the Vatican, or a German with a sense of humour, they're so damn expensive...even in the lowest of Grades.

This copy has the obvious tear missing from the front cover which plummets the book down in grade..also a little staining in the bottom left, and top right on the rear. Apart from this it presents very very well for the grade, and looks awesome in hand.The Book still has rich vibrant colours.

The main question for me before I purchased was, 'Can I live with the tear?'

The answer was and is yes. What swung it was that the tear does not cut into the title of the book or the numbering.

I am so glad I went for it. :cloud9:

Showcasefront.jpg

I hope Forumites will indulge me as I make a separate thread devoted to this acquisition which arrived this morning.

Apart from the fact they are harder to find than a condom in the Vatican, or a German with a sense of humour, they're so damn expensive...even in the lowest of Grades.

This copy has the obvious tear missing from the front cover which plummets the book down in grade..also a little staining in the bottom left, and top right on the rear. Apart from this it presents very very well for the grade, and looks awesome in hand.The Book still has rich vibrant colours.

The answer was and is yes. What swung it was that the tear does not cut into the title of the book or the numbering.

Showcasefront.jpg

Congrats on the great book. As far as the tear goes, put a positive spin on it. There is way more of the cover left than if it had been a distributor return!!!!

Showcasefront.jpg

Congrats on the great book. As far as the tear goes, put a positive spin on it. There is way more of the cover left than if it had been a distributor return!!!!

Thanks Sean.

The tear really is'nt all that bad in the flesh, or I have gotten used to it..but either way it was'nt bad enough to prevent me going after it. I reckon if that piece was there (it measures about a half inch wide to four inches long approx at its thinnest end) the book would have graded about a 3.5 poss a 4.0

Welcome to the club headed by esquire with his 9.2 entry.

I assume this was the same copy being sold raw on ebay a few months ago. It didn't meet his reserve and I contacted him about joining his (now your) copy with this one below. Not sure if it made sense but both issues have pretty significant flaws that are tough to get past. Certainly mine more than yours but still.....I'd love to marry these two.

Would it make any sense at all to do one of these two things. Marry your cover to mine create a double cover book with decent eye appeal and nice interior.

or

Use my book as the parts book, to replace the interior and bottom and top corners with restoration efforts. Remainder book would be your interior and my cover now with even more pieces missing.

or

leave well enough alone.

I always lean towards the first selection as it causes the least amount of overall damage but enhances eye appeal. I guess I'm a big fan of marrying two books to create a better one. May not work here but I can't help but think about it.

I have to post this book again as it always cracks me up. Only one worse is the monster rat chew Hulk 5(?) that appears every now and then on these boards.

scan0005.jpg

Welcome to the club headed by esquire with his 9.2 entry.

You mean the $125k book?

I assume this was the same copy being sold raw on ebay a few months ago. It didn't meet his reserve and I contacted him about joining his (now your) copy with this one below. Not sure if it made sense but both issues have pretty significant flaws that are tough to get past. Certainly mine more than yours but still.....I'd love to marry these two.

Yes, I think so..same copy..he lowered the Reserve

Would it make any sense at all to do one of these two things. Marry your cover to mine create a double cover book with decent eye appeal and nice interior.

or

Use my book as the parts book, to replace the interior and bottom and top corners with restoration efforts. Remainder book would be your interior and my cover now with even more pieces missing.

or

leave well enough alone.

I always lean towards the first selection as it causes the least amount of overall damage but enhances eye appeal. I guess I'm a big fan of marrying two books to create a better one. May not work here but I can't help but think about it.

I have to post this book again as it always cracks me up. Only one worse is the monster rat chew Hulk 5(?) that appears every now and then on these boards.

What kind of a nutter would do that? Cut out the centre piece of the book?

As regards your idea.

I assume you are talking about restoring both books into one for a decent re-sale.

This idea has merit to me only if I were thinking of selling.

I would like to keep the book as is, warts and all.

If I decide any different in the future, I will contact you certainly (thumbs u