• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first slab...

38 posts in this topic

Greetings all!

As a lurker around here for several months, I have enjoyed the hell out of reading the many threads on here daily -

A long time collector, former manager of a LCS, and just all around comic freak since I was given a 25 cent piece at the tender age of six and traded it to the local drug store clerk for a copy of ASM 147 (that being the first comic I ever actually saw - and it seemed like it was printed by a host of angels on God's own stationary just for me)...

Now, I have entered the fray as a total noob in the world of the CGC'ers.

I got my first one delivered last week - no big whoop, Uncanny XM #148 at 9.6 from Heritage. I bought it just cause it wasn't expensive and I wanted to see what the whole 'slabbed' thing felt like.

I gotta say, it's mixed feelings - the OCD collector mechanism in me went crazy with the idea of a whole new avenue of comic related obsession opening up, but the eternal six year old wasn't too hip to the idea of the untouchable minty goodness locked up inside all that plastic -

So, I am curious as to whether or not y'all have readers to match your slabs or if you have just gone over to the world of the non readable collectible 100 percent?

I can't imagine anyone came into the hobby in the post CGC era and hasn't/doesn't even read comics - is that even possible? :o

At any rate, this is a very cool community y'all have going here - I may need to buy a scanner again...

Welcome to the boards. That first slab is always a memorable one, and you sound almost looney enough to fit right in here. :insane:

Next time you post you can tell us about the first slab you cracked open..(dont worry , we have all done it)

Ze-

Welcome to the Boards!

My first "paid for" book was an Avengers 139, also a 25 center. It would appear that you and I have been collecting for about the same period of time.

I bought my first pair of slabs a little over 3 years ago.....an Avengers 186 and 187 in 9.4. From then on, I was hooked. I have about 135 of them now. I still buy the random raw book, but my main interests right now are pre-code horror/crime books. Unless I know and trust the seller/dealer, it is my firm goal to only buy graded copies from this era, whether it be a 4.0 or a 9.4. I just want to have a pretty good idea of what I will be getting when I make an offer to buy.

When it comes to having reader copies of my graded books, the only area where this is revelant for me is with my Kirby Fourth World books. I have all the tpb's so that I can read them when I want, and keep my slabs for my permanent collection. I try to find old reprints or trades that have the stories that I love from my slabbed pre-codes. That way I can keep them slabbed and still enjoy the book. Most of the selling point with that genre is the front cover anyway.

If you want to crack the slab, then by all means do so. I have only ever cracked one and it was a Showcase 80 that had a slight color touch. To each his own on cracking. There is no right and wrong as long as it makes you happy in the long run. Glad to have another fellow Texan on the boards. (thumbs u

Scott

but the eternal six year old wasn't too hip to the idea of the untouchable minty goodness locked up inside all that plastic -

There are several instances where I've purchased a minty fresh slabbed copy of a book that I bought off the racks when I was a kid, but in all of those cases I do have a reader. In fact, the reader is the copy that I bought as a kid. (thumbs u

I currently have about 16 slabs and about 200 short boxes of raw. I break out the decent slabbed books (or keepers) and integrate them into the raw collection. The bad slabs get resold to some other poor, unsuspecting soul.

I currently have about 16 slabs and about 200 short boxes of raw. I break out the decent slabbed books (or keepers) and integrate them into the raw collection. The bad slabs get resold to some other poor, unsuspecting soul.

Note to self----Never buy slabbed books from lizards2 in the Marketplace.

hello my first was x-men #1 jim lee gatefold version 9.8 white pages .... Which was also the very first comic I ever brought from a comic shop my self as a kid :) Even have it signed by lee

I think I got that around 2000 or so?.. Since thing I've picked up a lot more :D :D I have some where around 10-15/20ish by now I am sure... should really make a list!

Note to self----Never buy slabbed books from lizards2 in the Marketplace.

Ditto :kidaround:

How old are you again?

Don't ask questions whose answers inevitably lead down the road to feeling old and decrepit.

Well, I would hate to verbally abuse anyone under sixteen. :angel:

Start with Cap_FFreek. It gets easier.