• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first slab...

38 posts in this topic

How old are you again?

Don't ask questions whose answers inevitably lead down the road to feeling old and decrepit.

Well, I would hate to verbally abuse anyone under sixteen. :angel:

Start with Cap_FFreek. It gets easier.

He's 17 or 18 and I have already called him to task.

Wow! Thanks for the kick@#$ welcome!

I am reluctant to buy anything I have or have had in the past over again these days - I get a lancing pain in my stomach thinking about when I traded away some of those keys from the mid 70s...

I have about 17K books, mostly Marvels and am quickly developing a love for the DC genre stuff from the 70s to the early 80s ie: War/Mystery comics and since I haven't read most of 'em, I only wanna buy 'em raw.

Also went nuts over the summer for 70s B&W mags - loooove that Skywald stuff that was just a few years before my 'prime newsstand time' (I still have the old Marvel/Curtis TOTZombie Annual I bought in 1975 - tho it looks like I wrapped fish in it :grin:)

I will be getting my annual bonus at work in a few weeks and am scheming and salivating accordingly...

Wow! Thanks for the kick@#$ welcome!

I am reluctant to buy anything I have or have had in the past over again these days - I get a lancing pain in my stomach thinking about when I traded away some of those keys from the mid 70s...

I have about 17K books, mostly Marvels and am quickly developing a love for the DC genre stuff from the 70s to the early 80s ie: War/Mystery comics and since I haven't read most of 'em, I only wanna buy 'em raw.

Also went nuts over the summer for 70s B&W mags - loooove that Skywald stuff that was just a few years before my 'prime newsstand time' (I still have the old Marvel/Curtis TOTZombie Annual I bought in 1975 - tho it looks like I wrapped fish in it :grin:)

I will be getting my annual bonus at work in a few weeks and am scheming and salivating accordingly...

lol You should see my OO Giant Size X-Men 1 and X-Men 94. No way either could get a .5. Fish would not be caught dead wrapped in either one!

lol

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS

I don't own any slabs.

Give it time. You'll own plenty of 'em one day, I'm sure.

It is my opinion that we shouldn't discourage the younger generation of collectors; especially in a hobby such as this one: in danger of going extinct.

500 POSTS, YES!!

welcome to the boards!

let me tell you if it already hasn't been mentioned, there's alot of good stuff floating around these boards, $$ for the addiction. it's worse and better than ebay if you know what I mean.

personally, i have readers for all my slabbed books.

if you like signed stuff, the yellow label signature series books will interest you alot.

This is a great place to reawaken an old comic obsession! :insane:

I like slabs for anything expensive or those with really good cover art. I can't identify restoration cues for anything and I hate buying something expensive that turns out to get a restoration label when I submit it (happened once, bad experience, not a fan).

I love reading comics just like I did when I was a kid. One nice thing these days is the many trades that reprint the originals. "Essential" and "Showcase Presents" print many of the great early issues of Marvel and DC respectively, just in B&W instead of color. Getting some good raw deals on old favorites is nice but not going to happen on lots of the really good stuff to collect.

So I'd agree with several others here that some combination of slabs and raw is ideal. For me it's slabs for the expensive stuff and raw for the readers.

Good luck with your happy new (old) obsession! (thumbs u

Welcome to the boards.

I have resisted the slabbed comics (except the cgc signature series books), IMO comics are ment to be read and enjoyed. Its hard to read them while incased in a hard plastic case.

Flip side to that is that it isnt hard to buy trades and reprints either :foryou:

A lot depends on what era and grade range you collect imho. lower grade and lower value :shrug: i dont see much of a need for CGC.

HG books, well, i see a little bit more of a reason to have them :grin:

Hello & welcome, my first read was a FF annual #11 sent over by an aunt & uncle in the US.

I have quite a few slabs and run raw reader collections alongside my main slabbed collections. Only bought my first CGC'd book a few years ago after discovering to my amazement that they put comics in plastic cases !?

A UXM #163 CGC 9.4, love that slab - but it's gotta be upgraded.... obsession, obsession :insane:

Love that FF Annual #11!!

The Invaders was one of my childhood faves - the only mag my WWII veteran grandfather fully endorsed...still have my original #7 with the Kirby 'Baron Blood' cover :cool: it's totally thrashed, but I do have a minty fresh one as well.

This forum is rather addictive...