• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maybe a future friendlier way to read our comicbooks

125 posts in this topic

We get it, Joe...you don't like the concept.

It goes far beyond that, as marketing a $400 one-trick-pony is the digital age is beyond stupidity. The digital market is moving towards convergence, and one-use hardware is quickly being relegated to the scrap heap.

Older people like physical books and will continue to buy them, while younger consumers want to get everything via their cell phone or iPOD.

Who does that leave? Who on here is going to buy one?

and, once the screen is drawn, it takes NO ENERGY to keep the screen active in that image. Think of the signs at Amtrak stations where little "cards flap around and make letter shapes when theyre done flipping.

this technology has been in the works for over ten years. Color will foloow, but, anyone who understands it cann readily see that color will be 3 or 4 times harder (RGB or CMYK solution) ... but it will happen.. and the screens will eventually be the entire product: no ugly, plastic box like the rudimentary Kindle.

It goes far beyond being a stupid concept, as marking a $400 one-trick-pony is the digital age is beyond stupidity.

Older people like physical books and will continue to buy them, while younger consumers want to get everything via their cell phone or iPOD.

Who does that leave?

Says who? I'm not a "younger" consumer and I'm not glued down to the thought of only getting books in a paper format. And this product doesn't seem geared to those who are too busy texting and downloading videos onto their new cell phone to bother picking up any kind of book.

But this seems like a perfectly viable way for those who buy books by the handfuls and devour them religiously to do so without having to go out of their way to do it. You can download as many books from home as you want. You can download the first few chapters of them for free before deciding if you want to purchase them. Free wireless access is included in the purchase price...so there is no monthly service charge other than what you buy. Seems like there could be a lot of upside for people who really like to read novels.

But this seems like a perfectly viable way for those who buy books by the handfuls and devour them religiously to do so without having to go out of their way to do so.

I am not against the concept, but it's got to be color, multi-function, and support industry standards like MP3, DivX, XviD, etc, along with a digital book reader.

Otherwise, not enough people will buy it to make the service viable, Amazon will terminate its Sprint contract, and you've got a $400 boat anchor.

I am not against the concept, but it's got to be color, multi-function, and support industry standards like MP3, DivX, XviD, etc, along with a digital book reader.

Not everyone requires four-color pictures in their reading material. Your trying to apply your requirements for a successful product to everyone else.

And cell phones started out as simplistic turds the size of bricks with lousy service and extremely limited coverage. Perhaps I should apply your pictorial to them. Although the fact that they're still around does put a bit of a damper on the effect.

71425951zi4.jpg

phone2fn0.jpg

phone3lr4.jpg

dodo_bird.jpg

Your trying to apply your requirements for a successful product to everyone else.

Cell phones started out as simplistic turds the size of bricks with lousy service and extremely limited coverage. Perhaps I should apply your pictorial to them.

Exactly, and how many cell phones are there that ONLY serve as phones, with no MP3, Internet, PC, PDA, video, picture, camera or other functions? How about none? hm

Thanks for proving my point on convergence towards multi-function devices. (thumbs u

How many cell phones are there that ONLY serve as phones, with no MP3, Internet, PC, PDA, video, picture, camera or other function?

Thanks for proving my point on convergence towards multi-function devices. (thumbs u

Everything evolves, Joe. They start out simply...develop a customer base...and evolve. How many cell phones started out as MP3 players, Internet, PC, PDA, video, picture, and camera devices? How about none?

I think you've read too many comic books and are used to a beginning, a middle, and an end, all in a 20 minute time frame.

And thanks for proving my point. There are enough devices out there that do "everything". This isn't meant to be one of them.

You got it Pontiac!

Every so often some company starts an ill-advised foray into "digital book readers", and then later, when they figure out that no one wants to pay for a single-use brick, hastily pack up their bags and orphan the hardware.

It's unfortunate, as these bozos have no idea, and are simply selling what they *think* people want, rather than discovering what they *will* buy.

Everything evolves, Joe. They start out simply...develop a customer base...and evolve. How many cell phones started out as MP3 players, Internet, PC, PDA, video, picture, and camera devices? How about none?

lol You're actually using the noted evolution towards digital convergence as something that supports your "everyone will buy a big one-use brick" hypothesis?

Seriously, PM me when you stop taking drugs and start making sense. :screwy:

Five years from now when you're shown to be wrong yet again

lollollol

Anyone who thinks this one-use Kindle stupidity will be around in 5 years is too dumb to live.

In five years, we'll all probably be carrying around one device that does everything - PC, cell, media, MP3, PDA, news, internet, etc.

But you have fun with your Kindle. lol

lol You're actually using the noted evolution towards digital convergence as something that supports your "everyone will buy a big one-use brick" hypothesis?

Seriously, PM me when you stop taking drugs and start making sense. :screwy:

As was already pointed out...not everything electronic has to be capable of doing everything. Seriously, Joe...go back to screaming about the impending comic market crash. You weren't right about that either...but at least you were more entertaining at it.

As was already pointed out...not everything electronic has to be capable of doing everything.

Multi-function digital sells, one-use digital has gone the way of the Dodo.

Fact.

Check out PDA sales for example - like 5+ years of declining sales and virtually no vendors. People just don't want to carry around multiple devices, and prefer one that does everything they need.

And other than the "Kindle", how many new one-use digital devices are being introduced? Can you name ten?

lollollol

Anyone who thinks the comic market will be around in 5 years is too dumb to live.

In five years, I'll be playing my fiddle while the comic market burns and all of you bread-stick armed fanboys will be singing your tune in the poor house.

But you have fun with your high grade investments, boys. They won't be worth a plug nickle by the time 2007 roles around. lol

I changed a few words in your posts and it was like deja vu. :o