• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maybe a future friendlier way to read our comicbooks

125 posts in this topic

new technology that in the future might make reading comics or books a different experience. especially could help people who always have trouble with how thier eyes always hurt reading comics on a computer screen.

Kindle

Just like all new technologies, I would expect the price to drop as it gets more mainstream. it would be cool if I could get my monthly fix of Superman or Spider-man on this.

yeah but in 5 years it won`t be that expensive.

See ya in 5 years then. :hi:

maybe less than 5 years as you can get hd-dvd players last week for $99 dollars. my wife wants me to get one as she is a big reader. I would expect this to take off if it was cut to let`s say $199.99?

I remember this topic being discussed a few years back(by Shin?) and opinions varied greatly about not just the price point, but also ones acceptance to reading in this format. I think if you grow up with this format it will become second nature as opposed to those who swear by actually being able to hold a newspaper while in the can.

:blush:

For the money it seems being limited to only one application will hinder it's appeal to all but a select market. I have never used one, so I cannot say either way whether or not I like, or dont like it. But I imagine they will only get better and cheaper in years to come, and that's never a bad thing.

Ze-

This part sounds pretty good:

"Utilizing a new high-resolution display technology called electronic paper, Kindle provides a crisp black-and-white screen that resembles the appearance and readability of printed paper. The screen works using ink, just like books and newspapers, but displays the ink particles electronically. It reflects light like ordinary paper and uses no backlighting, eliminating the glare associated with other electronic displays. As a result, Kindle can be read as easily in bright sunlight as in your living room."

I really want one of these, but I'm holding out for the flexible ones so when I'm finished reading I can roll it up and put it in my back pocket

They also need the pulp paper smell.

I really want one of these, but I'm holding out for the flexible ones so when I'm finished reading I can roll it up and put it in my back pocket

pulp paper smell :cloud9:

pulp paper smell :cloud9:

They already have a cologne by that name. It's made from fanboy sweat. :)

"Utilizing a new high-resolution display technology called electronic paper, Kindle provides a crisp black-and-white screen that resembles the appearance and readability of printed paper."

Translation: Since a quality high-def color screen would eat too much into our profit margins, we're sticking you losers with a low-rez black & white POS that's so grainy it looks like you're reading a piece of paper.

Or maybe they realize there are a couple of people out there who don't want to read a book with color pictures in every panel.

Come on, selling a $400 B&W device that ONLY displays text is pure stupidity, and with media players and cell phones COMBINING features, and adding PDA, PC, picture, movie, MP3, etc., it's like Amazon is still in 1999 and has no idea where the market is heading.

And just so you know, color displays do B&W great too. (thumbs u

We get it, Joe...you don't like the concept. But to make stuff up about it being low-rez and grainy when it appears to be just the opposite is nothing short of silly.

And it doesn't just display text...which leads me to believe you really haven't read much about it and are just doing your usual negative rant (which is ok and would seem a little strange if you didn't). The point of the product is that it displays text (which a few books/novels/newspapers are still written in) without the backlighting of conventional screens and the associated eye strain that goes along with them. I think the "iddiots" at Amazon probably have a pretty good idea how many people out there actually still read good old fashioned books with nothing but words in them.

Would I pay $400 for one? No...and I agree it probably is over priced. But I could certainly see many of those who devour the latest best selling novels by the millions out there shelling out $200 or so for something like this.