• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maybe a future friendlier way to read our comicbooks

125 posts in this topic

I am not against the concept, but it's got to be color, multi-function, and support industry standards like MP3, DivX, XviD, etc, along with a digital book reader.

Otherwise, not enough people will buy it to make the service viable, Amazon will terminate its Sprint contract, and you've got a $400 boat anchor.

lol lol

Five years from now when you're shown to be wrong yet again

lollollol

Anyone who thinks this one-use Kindle stupidity will be around in 5 years is too dumb to live.

In five years, we'll all probably be carrying around one device that does everything - PC, cell, media, MP3, PDA, news, internet, etc.

But you have fun with your Kindle. lol

2 years down and ticking. Might not make it to 5, but what first generation technology does? I'm glad I'm not using my 1st gen Tivo from '99, but I wouldn't be without my 3rd gen.

How's that Kindle crash working out JC? Bout as good as the comic crash?

I was going to post this link in its own thread but this seems appropiate.

Amazon e-book sales overtake print for first time

Wow, you really misquoted that, as Amazon only stated the obvious, that ultra-expensive HARDCOVER sales had just been eclipsed by ultra-cheap (sometimes 5x less) e-books, NOT PAPERBACKS. Hardcovers have been in steep decline for years, and it's the print paperbacks that hold court.

Learn to R-E-A-D people.

lollollol

Anyone who thinks this one-use Kindle stupidity will be around in 5 years is too dumb to live.

In five years, we'll all probably be carrying around one device that does everything - PC, cell, media, MP3, PDA, news, internet, etc.

Might not be 5 years yet, but 3 years out and Amazon is on track to sell 8 million Kindles in 2010. And that's after the Ipad was introduced.

Still waiting on JC's Kindle crash.

Ooooh, 8 whole million, on projections of 5 million. Gee, that's pretty high. lol

Apple [AAPL] is on target to sell up to 40 million iPads this calendar year as it tweaks its supply chain to meet huge demand.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/18550/apple_2011_ipad_sales_hit_40_million

lollol

I am not against the concept, but it's got to be color, multi-function, and support industry standards like MP3, DivX, XviD, etc, along with a digital book reader.

Otherwise, not enough people will buy it to make the service viable, Amazon will terminate its Sprint contract, and you've got a $400 boat anchor.

lol lol

Apple [AAPL] is on target to sell up to 40 million iPads this calendar year as it tweaks its supply chain to meet huge demand.

lol lol

I keep waiting for JC to chime in and say that he was "just kidding" about this like he was about the comic market crash.

No, I predicted that one-use e-readers would be quickly outsold by multi-use tablets and I was 100% correct.

Sure, Amazon has done better than I thought, but Kindle isn't even a tick on the end of the dust mote stuck to the overall Tablet market.

lollollol

Might not be 5 years yet, but 3 years out and Amazon is on track to sell 8 million Kindles in 2010. And that's after the Ipad was introduced.

Still waiting on JC's Kindle crash.

Ooooh, 8 whole million, on projections of 5 million. Gee, that's pretty high. lol

lollol

They are different products at dramatically different price points. There is room for both, and Amazon is going after the tablet market with a different device. The Kindle isn't a tablet computer like the iPad - it's an eReader and Amazon sells enough of them to make a very nice profit and to drive millions of eBook sales to its business, just like Barnes and Noble does with the Nook. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Multi-use will *always* beat single-use when it comes to "smart" devices in 2011-on. Bring this thread back up in 5 years...

Isn't that when the comic market is supposed to crash too....always 5 years from the present. lol

I keep waiting for JC to chime in and say that he was "just kidding" about this like he was about the comic market crash.

No, I predicted that one-use e-readers would be quickly outsold by multi-use tablets and I was 100% correct.

Sure, Amazon has done better than I thought, but Kindle isn't even a tick on the end of the dust mote stuck to the overall Tablet market.

You are missing the real profit that Amazon makes from the millions of Kindles it has sold - the buyers buy their eBooks from Amazon. The Kindle wasn't designed to be all things to all people. It does one thing really well at a very reasonable price point.

They are different products at dramatically different price points.

Who cares?

I am referring to the thread, where I argued against single-use (one-trick-pony) devices like the Kindle and for multi-use devices like the iPad, Transformer, etc.

If you jokers are going to dredge up old thread and crow about Kindle selling 5-8 million units this year, then I am totally justified in slamming them down with 40 MILLION UNIT sales from the iPad alone.

lol

Historical revisionism. lol

You need to go back and read the entire thread (for the first time) as 90% of my comments stated my preference for multi-use devices (like the iPad) over single-use devices (like Kindle), and how multi-use would win out in the overall market.

But I guess that is all "revisionist" too? lol

I am referring to the thread, where I argued against single-use (one-trick-pony) devices like the Kindle and for multi-use devices like the iPad, Transformer, etc.

Instead of you telling us what you think your argument was...let's take a look at some of the actual comments regarding the Kindle that you posted in this thread back in 2007:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nah, it's got to be an open/industry standard, with multiple hardware and software vendors, for it to have any chance of mass acceptance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on, selling a $400 B&W device that ONLY displays text is pure stupidity, and with media players and cell phones COMBINING features, and adding PDA, PC, picture, movie, MP3, etc., it's like Amazon is still in 1999 and has no idea where the market is heading.

It goes far beyond that, as marketing a $400 one-trick-pony is the digital age is beyond stupidity. The digital market is moving towards convergence, and one-use hardware is quickly being relegated to the scrap heap. Older people like physical books and will continue to buy them, while younger consumers want to get everything via their cell phone or iPOD. Who does that leave? Who on here is going to buy one?

I am not against the concept, but it's got to be color, multi-function, and support industry standards like MP3, DivX, XviD, etc, along with a digital book reader. Otherwise, not enough people will buy it to make the service viable, Amazon will terminate its Sprint contract, and you've got a $400 boat anchor.

Every so often some company starts an ill-advised foray into "digital book readers", and then later, when they figure out that no one wants to pay for a single-use brick, hastily pack up their bags and orphan the hardware. It's unfortunate, as these bozos have no idea, and are simply selling what they *think* people want, rather than discovering what they *will* buy.

"Revisionist" indeed. lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

lol, it must have taken you a while to carefully excise all my "multi-use is superior to single-use" statements, as just a quick perusal counted about 8-10 clear comments about it.

Congrats, you win the Obfuscating Nerd of the Year Award. :acclaim:

lol, it must have taken you a while to carefully excise all my "multi-use is superior to single-use" statements...

Nah...you just made so many more blatantly wrong statements in this thread that it was actually pretty easy.

lol

Don't you do it, Joe!

I love you and want you to stay. I love you as much as one man can love another man without...uhh...you know....without all the kissing and fondling and stuff that Greggy is so fond of.

The comic market crashed and burned.

The Kindle drove Amazon into banruptcy and their executives now live under Doc Watsons "Deliverance" type porch while he sits unawares just a few feet away playing his banjo.

YOU WERE RIGHT, JOE...YOU WERE RIGHT!!!

lollollol

It's not quite five years yet. But someone help me, is the Kindle single-use reader still around? I just want to know if we're all "too dumb to live"?