• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paratrooper's Comic Con Report

61 posts in this topic

Tons of books bought and tons of money spent, all in all this was a better one than last year's. Although, attendance was lower. I'll post photo's of some sweet buys and some weird individuals seen.

DAY 1:

Bought the VIP pass, so was able to sneak in about an hour earlier than those regular shlubs. Entered early at 9am and went straight to the CGC booth, where I met the CGC crew hard at work:

107_0251.jpg

107_0253.jpg

I was wondering if they had seen any of the other boardies, but nope...I was the first. So I went around to shop. I was like a kid in a candy shop, saw way too many books I liked and right off the bat I shelled out near $500 at Dale's stand. He sold me one trooper book I wasn't even tracking...Dale's books:

Daredevil8.jpg

WingsComics71.jpg

WorldFamousHeroes.jpg

That Daredevil book wasn't even on the list...very very sweeeeeettt.

After realizing I spent that much and having just been through the door only 10 minutes ago, I swore I would just browse and look at the comic fans in their neat outfits.....that quickly ended when I saw Wonder Woman:

107_0248.jpg

Back to looking at funny books :sick: Thank god I did, because shortly after seeing WW I found a very very neat book. If I hadn't bought a VIP badge I probably would have missed out on this:

NationalComics18.jpg

National Comics #18 (where it depicts the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor a month before the actual event. Reading it now, very very disturbing)

Ok, after this purchase I swore I would take a buying break and get some books signed by Friedrich, Pollard and Suydam. That didn't take very long.....except for Pollard who didn't charge for signatures and had fanboys lined up with 50+ books...I decided to get his sig last.

Friedrich, although hard of hearing was a very cool and jovial fellow. He signed a few more of my SGT Fury books...he even remembered me from last year! At his booth was a very sweet bike:

107_0247.jpg

(and yes that's Friedrich)

On my way to Suydam's table I spotted some really sweet art by Wolfe. Went to chat with the guy, and found out he was a former Army Soldier. Talked to him for about an hour, paid for him to do a Fallen Son sketch (which is now at CGC). Also purchased a very nice poster, will show a pic later when I get one done. Suydam was busy signing books by the dozen, but because he charges for sigs his line was not as absurdly long with dorky fanboys. I also commissioned him for a fallen Son sketch, which turned out gorgeous! That too is also at CGC. He did a Zombie Captain America Paratrooping. He too remembered me from last year, so we got to chating...another hour passes.

I at some point met up with The Dude, seanh, DetroitMike and BuckBiggens. Went shopping with a few of them, and saw the very nice Superman book the Dudemeister bought. TheDude wasn't the only one to make some very nice purchases, I believe everyone had a very successful con. I'll let them post their buys.

We became separated and I went browsing again. This time I was looking for bargains. And found many, to start picked up my free con gifts that came with the VIP package...yay...

Musings-Ashcan.jpg

NightDriver.jpg

PhantomTPB.jpg

and a Iron Man poster by Michael Golden, that I think is thrown into a corner of my house somewhere...ya, he was there too. But I don't think he was very busy..not sure.

I stopped by George Broderick Jr.'s table and had a very nice conversation with him and his wife. He had some sketches just lying about that were fricken hilarious, so I asked how much they'd be. This is what he sold me for $5

Buckler-Lantern.jpg

Buckler-flash.jpg

Buckler-Batwoman.jpg

Buckler-Batman.jpg

Buckler-Aquaman.jpg

Buckler-Superman.jpg

and my favorite

Buckler-Spiderman.jpg

All those for just $5! sweet. Because he gave me such a good deal I bought his most recent book

NegativeBurn.jpg

After that I remembered that I needed to get a few more signatures. Ran over to Rich Buckler's table to get a few books signed, to include my Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #119. I also got that book signed by Noel Neil, TV's first Lois Lane...also got a pic signed for my father.

LoisLanepic.jpg

Went roaming again, stopped by a few indy tables and bought some books by those Arsenic Lullabies folk. These books are fricken funny as hell:

ArsenicLullabyPulp.jpg

ArsenicLullabies.jpg

PostalPete.jpg

I was a postal officer in Iraq, so I kinda connected with Pete: The P.O.'d Postal Worker....bought a piece of OA from that book...

Postal.jpg

You guys should pick something up from this guy, he's kinda like Jhonen Vasquez in his story telling.

Walked around some more with TheDude, after having eaten lunch with him. Took a pic of Alton at Rude's table, you'll see why:

107_0259.jpg

walked back to the CGC table, chatted and annoyed those busy CGC folk and bummed a cigarette from them...oh wait, more crazy fanboys....ran out to take some pics:

Fabio, is that you?

107_0258.jpg

Martian Dorkhunter...greggy?

107_0257.jpg

Can't we all just get along? Legion 501 guys were out in force...lol pun intended

107_0256.jpg

Some huge Predator fellow

107_0254.jpg

Dorks flock together, safety in numbers I suppose:

107_0250.jpg

The Cigarette wasn't good enough, the trooper was getting a nic fit. Here's to you Doc Watson!

yummy, skoal....

107_0260.jpg

Throughout day one I bought some various other books, forgot where I got most of them, just haggled with a lot of dealers and supprisingly a lot of my low ball offers were accepted:

PoisonElvesFoil.jpg

PoisonElvesColor.jpg

LightningDanielBoone1.jpg

This one I couldn't pass up, even if it is a romance book. Done by LB Cole though, and in fairly high grade:

LoveStories10.jpg

And this beater was thrown in free (again another almost trooper book that wasn't on my list)

TickTockTales2.jpg

That was the end of the convention, day 1. The plans for a forum dinner fell through, everyone left either early or with a artist. I did have a long conversation with Seanh, and shared a few beers. Had a good time, btw: I owe ya a couple beers Sean.

Day 2 has obviously ended with a bunch more books that had to have been paid with credit card....so no buying for me for awhile. :cry:

Most of the following non-trooper books were bought only because I was waiting for Suydam to finish my Fallen Son book...took all day. But ending up looking very nice.

Because of it being the last day, and the fact that this year's attendance was so low, I was able to make some very good deals. Here are my non-trooper snags:

MenInBlack1.jpg

BlueBoltv31.jpg

SecretsofSinisterHouse9.jpg

Here are my trooper snags:

WeirdWarTales14.jpg

MyGreatestAdventure24.jpg

FourColor67.jpg

TerrificComics4.jpg

After roaming for hours on end, finally promised to not buy anything else I stayed at the CGC booth and annoyed the living krap out of them. Suffice it to say, they know who I am now.

I still have a few more pics to upload, to include one very hot Kitty Pryde...she was hot. But until I get that pic uploaded, this one will have to do:

107_0261.jpg

Just some observations about the con as a whole:

1: Lots of GA books available, some priced very high but most dealers were willing to negotiate.

2: Chuck was present in all his hippy glory and so was Harley Yee. Both were picking other sellers clean of their good HG SA stuff. (I have a pic of Chuck, yet to be uploaded)

3: Not a single HG SA DC war book was to be found, very frustrating for me.

4: The toys and cards sellers didn't look to be selling too much product.

Vaughn, nice pics. Was that Predator dude in the neighbourhood of 7 feet tall? I think that is a local friend of a friend. He won the Halloween contest around here a few weeks ago (says he's won over 20 costume contests so far since he made the costume 7 years ago). The guy is a 6' 7" monster. With lifts and the helmet he towers over 7 feet and is just awesome to see in real life as the laser and all the lights on the suit work. The costume is all made from scratch.

R.

Vaughn, nice pics. Was that Predator dude in the neighbourhood of 7 feet tall? I think that is a local friend of a friend. He won the Halloween contest around here a few weeks ago (says he's won over 20 costume contests so far since he made the costume 7 years ago). The guy is a 6' 7" monster. With lifts and the helmet he towers over 7 feet and is just awesome to see in real life as the laser and all the lights on the suit work. The costume is all made from scratch.

R.

Just might have been him, the guy was huge and I'm guessing may have been over 6'5.

Where are the hookers? :sumo:

Nice report, Vaughn. Who was that holding your skoal can?

that's me, oh bad pic...flash was in my eye, blinked.

I would have bet a million dollars I could have picked you out of crowd. Boy, would I have lost.

Why did you take a picture of the Predator guy's azz?

this and National 18 are GREAT p/u (the others are good too, mind you)

gator

Can you believe I bought both of them at guide prices? Hell, the seller of the National 18 didn't even know it's significance. I told him though after I bought it.

:applause: well done!

Where are the hookers? :sumo:

Nice report, Vaughn. Who was that holding your skoal can?

that's me, oh bad pic...flash was in my eye, blinked.

I would have bet a million dollars I could have picked you out of crowd. Boy, would I have lost.

Why did you take a picture of the Predator guy's azz?

you have to ask (shrug)