• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Steranko Fan Club Thread

129 posts in this topic

Steranko's concept art for Raiders of the Lost Ark was also used on the box for a board game released by Kenner. In fact, it was one of the first licensed products available as a tie-in to the movie. I have a copy of it in outstanding condition. I'll photograph it later to tonight and post it on the boards.

I got to see him and several of his Shadow paperback cover paintings last year. Very cool stuff. He also talked about his concept work for Raiders.

Here is the unpublished cover art to Tower of Shadows #1.

tower1-orig.jpg

Interior art from Captain America #111.

SterankoCaptAm-page.jpg

Here's a good website with some Steranko art.... http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/8650/

Here's my favorite STERANKO page. It's from Nick Fury #2, page 5. It's scanned from the copy in my collection.

If I could own any page of original comic book interior art I wanted, it would be this one.

nickfury2-5.jpg

- Lee Hester

Do you know the story behind that page?

Heres how it went down:

Originally the third to last panel had the phone off the hook and the last panel of that page was a scene where Fury and the chick were making out standing up. They sent it in to the Comics Code but the people at the code insisted the phone not be off the hook because apparently that was too sexy. And they were especialy against Contessa and Fury embracing because who knows what could have happened after that. To appease the CCA the phone was redrawn ringing away without being answered. The last panel had a problem Steranko was on vacation and he couldn't redranw ick fury so Roy Thomas (editor in chief) came up with the idea to show a close-up of the gun that was already hanging in the first panel. Jim did not even notice until he read it in print.

As for my favourite Steranko cover, thats a tough one, either NF #4, or #5. Both quintisential classic's in every respect! Serious second merit honours, issue's 1, 7, and 8!

Steranko only did covers for issues #1-7

Although #8 was obviously done in Steranko's style.

Here's my favorite STERANKO page. It's from Nick Fury #2, page 5. It's scanned from the copy in my collection.

If I could own any page of original comic book interior art I wanted, it would be this one.

nickfury2-5.jpg

- Lee Hester

Do you know the story behind that page?

Heres how it went down:

Originally the third to last panel had the phone off the hook and the last panel of that page was a scene where Fury and the chick were making out standing up. They sent it in to the Comics Code but the people at the code insisted the phone not be off the hook because apparently that was too sexy. And they were especialy against Contessa and Fury embracing because who knows what could have happened after that. To appease the CCA the phone was redrawn ringing away without being answered. The last panel had a problem Steranko was on vacation and he couldn't redranw ick fury so Roy Thomas (editor in chief) came up with the idea to show a close-up of the gun that was already hanging in the first panel. Jim did not even notice until he read it in print.

As for my favourite Steranko cover, thats a tough one, either NF #4, or #5. Both quintisential classic's in every respect! Serious second merit honours, issue's 1, 7, and 8!

Steranko only did covers for issues #1-7

Although #8 was obviously done in Steranko's style.

So are you going to update the list?

My Bad I was actually working on the list and didn't see your post.

Member List

CAP_FFreek

brasseye

Doctor Watson

gman

jimm94

jonjesper

Karma23

kc120us

Leescomics

mjacobs80

mrwoogieman

oneasian

Rodey

TheWatcher

tilleycs

Wrightson fan

My Bad I was actually working on the list and didn't see your post.

Member List

CAP_FFreek

brasseye

Doctor Watson

gman

jimm94

jonjesper

Karma23

kc120us

Leescomics

mjacobs80

mrwoogieman

oneasian

Rodey

TheWatcher

tilleycs

Wrightson fan

Hey, if I can't belong to a comic nerd club im in big trouble.

It would be so much easier if people would say before posting info or pics. "I want to join" or something like that.

Member List

CAP_FFreek

CycleGirl

brasseye

Doctor Watson

gman

jimm94

jonjesper

Karma23

kc120us

Leescomics

mrwoogieman

oneasian

Rodey

TheWatcher

tilleycs

Wrightson fan

Heres how it went down:

I've read Steranko's retelling of that story, and he makes the additional point of the unintended sexual connotations of that holstered gun standing in for what ol' Nick was doing at the time with the fair Contessa. :blush: So they had the last laugh at the expense of the Comics Code people after all.