• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Art on ebay

61 posts in this topic

Here's a scan of page 16 and a sample panel with a levels adjustment to bring out the blue line and white ink:

l_a1da82f218c23b90119e1a9d313e6357.jpg

l_9cbd8516bcc69b70a9f91b48b79c8055.jpg

The 2 cents of "gee" was correct: debate on this message board won't prove the authenticity of the auction, but it won't disprove it either. Serious parties should contact me via ebay; I'm going out of my way to prove the authenticity of the art, the auction, my own integrity and my commitment to safely deliver the art to the winning bidder.

I look forward to hearing from you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120188844501&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Here's page 15 and a sample scan with a levels adjustment to bring out the blue line and white ink:

l_83208d4b0f9dd3ed88005c9bce03e205.jpg

l_90eaf05a51da92d8982eb1edcc0c01ca.jpg

On this and page 14 you'll notice a slight shift in tones on the tall vertical panels in the center: that's because I'm scanning these 11x17" pieces of bristol board (not vellum; I apologize for the confusion) with an 8.5x11" scanner.

Again, here's the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120188844501&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Here's the final page and sample panel with a levels adjustment to bring out the blue line and white ink:

l_a9a0fa991cf72686c78b38806be190de.jpg

l_3da90f5fbf86b1271cf286c3ee3ea72a.jpg

And one last time, here's the auction:

I know my lack of selling history and lack of experience selling original comics art has caused doubts about the authenticity of the auction, but if you contact me through ebay I think I can assure your doubts. There's only one way to find out, and if you're a serious collector you owe it to yourself to try.

It's interesting seeing myself talked about in this way. The auction and the art is very real. While I understand your concerns over the "red flags," they stem from my not being a professional ebay seller or art auctioneer. The art is now out of the frames, I'm calculating new shipping costs, open to other payment options and scanning the art as fast as I can, which I will post here shortly.

I'm very easy to talk to and (obviously) interested in making a sale, so if anyone is interested please contact me via the auction at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120188844501&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

well gee, we feel much more confident since you have zero feedback and one post on the boards. to gain maximum dollar value, you'd be better served to build some sort of reputation with smaller items, then move to a bigger piece. or, sell your piece through a different venue, that protects buyers from scams. 2c

I think it is good of him to come here and show the stuff. I think it adds to the validity and unfortunately now I'm sure the auction will be well out of my range. Does he not have a right to sell on ebay even if he hasn't sold before? I agree it is really easy to think of this person as a scammer but I bet almost everyone that is interested was hoping to use other resources to confirm whether the auction was real or not. I did. Does anyone here want a Watchmen page? I do. So how does one get a page. I honestly thought that this was my best chance all things considered. Also, to keep it in mind that JC scared away a potential seller of comic books just three days ago on these COMIC BOOK boards and for what reason? Maybe Earl has other cool treasures hid away and would join the community here blah blah blah and someone may well get to have dealings with him or her and come away with a gem of some type.

I am not saying you are being a JC level jerk at all but let new people prove themselves bad before you label them bad. 3 cents

Mike

I might take a chance on the seller. I appreciate that he came on this thread; so, thanks to you, Earl. That's the only reason I might make a bid. Still, a zero feedback and cash-in-advance instead of cash-on-pick-up...with thousands of dollars at stake...leaves me more than a little leery.

Oh there was plenty of drama -- it just all took place off ebay of course!!

Anyhow, now that it's over I feel free to comment on the auction. It was interesting the way this developed. It went from a misplaced listing that had every red flag in the world, but it ended up being dead on legit. I was comfortable with his identity (he's an artist with his own website, folks!) a couple days ago just before he came on the boards. (welcome, Jesse!!)

But it's kind of a lesson that there are folks out there with this OA stuff in their hands that aren't part of "our community" or "in the know" about CAF, the L, or the CGC boards. So yeah, we should be skeptical when something too good to be true pops up, but at the same time, as comic properties become movies, we can expect art that had previously been hidden away to come to light!! I hope the effect of this is more hidden art making it's way into the community and acting to stabilize prices (speaking as one who desperately wants prices to flatten out or come down).

Disappointed I didn't manage to snag the art. But hopefully that one right Watchmen page featuring Ozy or Dr. M will come along for me someday!

J

The seller told me they had a "good" offer and ended it early.

Gotcha (thumbs u Thanks for the reply.

It would have been interesting to see how the auction went but them's the breaks.

-Bob

Yeah, I wonder what % of market that "good" offer was. I'm guessing 50%. The seller probably would have done better just posting them as "best offer" on the CGC boards.

isn't that usually the case though - a seller looking to get hundreds gets bowled over at an offer of thousands - even if the auction would have played out at much more.

Yeah, I wonder what % of market that "good" offer was. I'm guessing 50%. The seller probably would have done better just posting them as "best offer" on the CGC boards.

What would you have put the FMV on that auction at, Hari?