• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with House of Secrets #23

24 posts in this topic

I am wondering, how many of you out there own this book. I just picked one up. I realized I had never seen one for sale before, and it's the 1st Mark Merlin, so I figured why not? As I was doing research before buying I noticed there are NO copies of this available on dealer sites that I could find, and none on the census. In fact, the Census is pretty loaded with HOS from that era, but skips #23. So now I am curious, is this a really tough book that has slipped under the radar for a long time, or is it just not really available at this moment.

(shrug)

2 recorded sales on Heritage since 2003, both as part of a set. a set of #23, 24, and 31 sold this past August for about 50 bux plus BP. the 23 is generously described as a VG+/FN, but by the look of the scan i dunno 'bout that

the shrug was because i don't know the answer to the scarcity question, btw, not as a comment on your having searched thoroughly enough or nothin. i wouldn't presume in that manner until i get to know you better

of COURSE Adam Strange has a beautiful copy!

Nope. Never was that big on the early HOS, though I have learned to appreciate them and some of the other semi-Sci Fi titles. I'm sure it's a tough book in high grade but I have no knowledge of it's scarcity in proportion to the issues around it.

I will give a different perspective. It's not that particular issue, it's the entire timeframe. I collect several DC titles from that era, specifically Superman and Superboy.

You would think that those two superhero titles would be far more abundant than other non superhero titles, but that isn't necessarily so. I have had a very difficult time finding copies of books like Superman 110 and Superboy 47 for example.

Once I was talking to another "completist" (it's a disease, trust me) and he said he was missing only one issue of Tomahawk, number 55, to complete his set. I told him I would keep a look out as I was on a lot of mailing lists and and went to San Diego every year (right before Internet use). I kept a vigilant eye out and only recently saw a copy for the first time. That was 12 years later, and condition wasn't a factor in my search. I had long since lost contact with the aforementioned collector, but I was stunned by this.

Buzzy 70 (I think) was Ian's last book to complete his DC collection, look at the timeframe for that book.

We all know scarcity does not equal value. Some of these DC's we are talking about are of little value....except to those of us who seek every issue of a title :shy:

of COURSE Adam Strange has a beautiful copy!

Nope. Never was that big on the early HOS, though I have learned to appreciate them and some of the other semi-Sci Fi titles. I'm sure it's a tough book in high grade but I have no knowledge of it's scarcity in proportion to the issues around it.

I have found that any book from that time period in high grade with blazing colors and white pages is a book to appreciate. Like most of the books you post! :baiting::kidaround:

Buzzy 70 (I think) was Ian's last book to complete his DC collection, look at the timeframe for that book.

It was I believe one of the last half-dozen, but the honor of the final vintage DC to wind its way into Ian's collection goes to New Adventure Comics #26.

edit: actually, it was #8 from the end.

Matthew,

Back in the early days of my reanimated collecting (2000), I was astonished at how difficult these early HOS issues are to find in ANY grade. This issue stood out for me. I did have a chance to get a 2.0, but it was way overpriced. I collected those issues for around a year, and quite simply got frustrated at how hard it is to collect nice copies...I've been more or less sucked into bronze for this reason. If you are in it for the long haul, I suspect you will eventually find a nice one..meaning about 8.5 or so.

From a general theme standpoint, most of these issues don't show up in frequency until around issue 30 or so.

By the way, I'm putting my early SA HOS collection on the chopping block soon.

Thanks for all the input. I agree that timeframe is rough, part of why I always loved the post code 50's DCs. So much variety & tricky to find in many cases.

The HOS 23 I picked up appears to be a 5.5/6.0 so I will be happy with that copy, and I picked it up for guide, so that is ok with me. Luckily I am happy with those books as long as they have OK eye appeal, and don't need true HG. Can't wait to see the HOS issues you put up!

I have found that any book from that time period in high grade with blazing colors and white pages is a book to appreciate.

I have to agree and do admit to a fondness for them. Since my arm is being twisted, he are a few random books in my PB album.

OFF32.jpg

Tomahwak62.jpg

TalesUnexp47.jpg

ST_80sm.jpg