• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Centaur- Star Ranger Collector Thread: Anybody have any????

84 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody;

This is a thread pertaining to a somewhat obscure Centaur title called Star Ranger. I didn't do this in the Centaur thread because this title never gets posted there and I need HELP from board members on locating copies of this short run (12 issues). I have tried in the Centaur thread with only a couple of members posting them (thanks Jon Berk for #6 which is at the top of my list for this title, and BZ for his Star Ranger Funnies copy).

Here's a few other reasons for me starting this thread:

1) First & foremost, I'd like to see what else is out there!!! WHO has these books and what CONDITION are they in (call it a fact finding mission).

2) Secondly, I've been trying to complete this small run (only 12 issues) for about 4 years now without success (I almost gave up this past year and sold the issues I have). So maybe some BOARD members seeing this thread might have a couple of copies that I don't have that they might be interested in selling. This is really what I'm HOPING for.

3) I have tried all the usual dealers etc. without much success. METRO does have a few copies I need (Nos.1, 8, 9 & 12). Issue #1 they had two copies until recently both were in inferior condition (Brittle pages on one, the other with tape on spine & still listed). Issues 8, 9 & 12 are all "Church" copies and beyond my price range.

Heritage had a couple of copies before I was looking for them, not much lately though, and I've seen two copies on E-Bay during the last year which I did purchase (one of those was this week). CLINK hasn't had them to my knowledge.

So that's partly why the creation of this thread:

A little background on this title;

Star Ranger only lasted for 12 issues (I'm not counting Star Ranger Funnies or Cowboy Comics).

The first six (6) issues were over-sized (magazine sized).

Star Ranger was the first Western comic (Feb. 1937), actually tied for that honor with Western Picture Stories.

O.K. here's what I have (had); Some of the scans appear cropped, this is because this book is oversized, doesn't fit my scanner well.

Star Ranger #2 (This was the 1st centaur I ever bought. I sold this copy in the past year or so since I upgraded).

StarRanger2gerber7.jpg

Star ranger #2 (Lost Valley copy)

StarRanger2lostvalley-1.jpg

Star Ranger #3 (Lost valley copy)

StarRanger3lostvalley.jpg

Star Ranger #4 (Lost valley copy)

StarRanger4lostvalley.jpg

Star ranger #5

starranger5.jpg

Star Ranger #8 (I haven't received this copy yet, when I do I'll repost it, hopefully showing better colors).

star_ranger_8_dec_1937_102407_a-1.jpg

I'd love to hear from anyone with copies of this title. If you have them please post them.

Really fun books!

I never would have guessed Fred Schwab did so many covers in the early days. He contributed a number of humor fillers to the early Fox books, but he wasn't as well utilized there...his style was presumably on the way out by then ('39-'40) in favor of the superhero artists.

Is this the series that has 2 issues with Little Nemo contents? Let me know if you have any vg- doubles of Nemo issues. :wishluck:

Hi Aardvark!!! :hi:

To my knowledge I think you're referring to Star comics not Star Ranger. They were both published by Centaur at around the same time frame. I'm quite sure they had a couple of Little Nemo stories in them. hm

I don't own any copies of Star Comics, I'm sure the others on the board that do would be able to help you with that.

I'll be trying to get those after I finish the SHORT Star Ranger run, but I know that Star Comics is also extremely tough!!!!

Star Ranger is almost 100% Western stories.

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=40838&GSub=5092&GCat=0&UCat=0

This is a link to a strip from Star Ranger 1. Please keep in mind, that at this stage they are Chesler books then Ultem. Cover date March 1938 starts "Centaur"

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=2&Order=Date&Piece=38638&GSub=5092&GCat=0&UCat=0

link to star ranger 2.....

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=40838&GSub=5092&GCat=0&UCat=0

This is a link to a strip from Star Ranger 1. Please keep in mind, that at this stage they are Chesler books then Ultem. Cover date March 1938 starts "Centaur"

jb, do you have the run handy you can post?...would love to see them all

gator (who still dreams of your amazing man 26...PLEASE contact me if you ever want to sell)

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=2&Order=Date&Piece=38638&GSub=5092&GCat=0&UCat=0

link to star ranger 2.....

Super Nice art Jon, thanks a lot for posting them!!! :golfclap:

I was wondering, is the original art on the same size board as comic art from the 60's. Or is it larger!!! Just curious!!!

jb, do you have the run handy you can post?...would love to see them all

gator (who still dreams of your amazing man 26...PLEASE contact me if you ever want to sell)

Yes I do have 1-12 which i can take a whirl at photographing this weekend as a group.

The art I linked up to is "twice-up" size. While most GA art is large there are a number of small covers. Raboy was slow so the thought was if his covers were smaller it would take less time. However, I have several Gil Fox covers that are "small" also. JOn

I'm curious about the FMV for these Star Ranger books (or any of the really esoteric non-hero Centaur titles that you guys collect, for that matter).

I assume these books usually surface in fairly low grades because of their age. The OS values in low grade seem quite reasonable for 1937-1938 (!) books this scarce. Do these books command premiums over guide because of scarcity, or is guide about right?

I'm curious about the FMV for these Star Ranger books (or any of the really esoteric non-hero Centaur titles that you guys collect, for that matter).

I assume these books usually surface in fairly low grades because of their age. The OS values in low grade seem quite reasonable for 1937-1938 (!) books this scarce. Do these books command premiums over guide because of scarcity, or is guide about right?

My view that these books, like many pre-hero books (leave DC out of this), are very reasonablely priced. In fact if you look over the last five to ten years, these books and the 'pedestrian' Centaurs have moved very little in price....(I do not look at NM for 'value" but rather Fine)(After all, whatever market activity occurs is going to be limited to low grade anyway)....Scarcity, lack of information contribute to the "price constipation", and, "Frankly, sir, I do not give a damn"). Rarely do folks place them in their historical context. Usual reaction (and that is the prorogative of the hobbyist)..."If he ain't wearing pajamas, I ain't interested'

GA newbies usually gravitate to DC or Timely,,,,,and then may get bit by the pre-hero DC bug...and Timey folks discover the other covers by Schomburg......and then some find Lou Fine and Fox books.....1937 Cheslers, Ultem are an isolated stop of the "Journey of the Golden Age Collector". One selling point for someone like Adam Strange would be the oversized state of the first six issues.....

Test: Steve, Richard, Adam (okay you too Bill) ATTENTION! FACE FRONT YOU COMIC GEEKS!!! How many Star Ranger, Star Comics do you presently own before March 1938....or at all??????.

These, my collecting comrades, are the wisest, most sophisticated collectors out there.

You buy these books because you have a sense of history and interest of the development of the this art form. Young artists as they plied their craft. Again a testament that the hobby is not monolithic, but as diverse as hot dog wrappers in a wind storm (Sigh....Analogies like that kinda choke me up and bring a tear to my eye.)

But to find a 'return on the buck' for these wonderful books 'foggitaboutit'

Pearls of wisdom courtesy from the overly sensitive and tearful JBComicbox....

[Test: Steve, Richard, Adam (okay you too Bill) ATTENTION! FACE FRONT YOU COMIC GEEKS!!! How many Star Ranger, Star Comics do you presently own before March 1938....or at all??????.

Jon,

My honest answer is none.

Not that I have never owned them, I have.

And not that I don't appreciate their historical importance (I have read everyone that has passed through).

But I am a Pajama guy. I have kept none of the non-superhero Centaurs for the same reason I have kept none of the pre-hero DC -

they just don't move me as much as superhero books, and I can't afford to keep everything (believe me, I wish I could).

That is why these boards are so cool. I get to enjoy Star Ranger covers vicariously through you.

I get to enjoy oversized Jumbos vicariously through RareHighGrade, I get enjoy....well, you get the idea!

As always Jon, thanks for posting! (thumbs u