• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.12

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

291 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

125 posts in this topic

More seriously, I am now surprised that Colan got the boot before Heath and Kubert. Kubert because people are mixing him up with one of his X-Men-drawing sons? Heath because people are afraid that Paratrooper will kick their patoots if they vote him down?

i read this, and pray 'tis sarcasm. i suspect so, but you can never know around this place

I gotta learn to use smileyfaces

:D:grin::jokealert::/lol:kidaround:doh!

Jack

Hooray for upturned noses! :banana:

I love Kane, he's one of my all-time favorites but I'll probably be voting him off at some point. He's always had a great sense of dynamic composition, but his inking didn't really hit its stride until later in the 60s. A lot of his earlier work had a very thin, monotonous line quality. He learned to vary this later on, as well as improved on his spotting of blacks. And I refer specifically to his own inking. When sombody else was on his pencils this was less of an issue, although his style could be subsumed a bit by the inker's. The Romita pages Dale posted are a good example.

Gil Kane with Romita is better than Romita and whoever. I also think by concentrating on the line work, you can't see the forest for the trees. Just look at the beautiful flow to the panels, and the dynamic use of different panel size and style. You never saw panels in this style(except with Steranko and to a lesser extent Adams).

Just my opinion, but I think the panel with the yellow spider-signal in the middle is one of the greatest pages ever drawn in comics, and the #15 is a personal favorite of mine too.

Gil Kane with Romita is better than Romita and whoever. I also think by concentrating on the line work, you can't see the forest for the trees. Just look at the beautiful flow to the panels, and the dynamic use of different panel size and style. You never saw panels in this style(except with Steranko and to a lesser extent Adams).

Just my opinion, but I think the panel with the yellow spider-signal in the middle is one of the greatest pages ever drawn in comics, and the #15 is a personal favorite of mine too.

Maybe I was unclear. I meant that early Gil Kane inking on Gil Kane pencils left a bit to be desired, and that when other inkers were employed, this was not an issue. Kane had even said as much in interviews.

I like these pages, and Romita's inks on Kane's pencils were fine but they look a little bit too much like Romita and lose a hair of Kane's touch. I still prefer Kane's own inks as a mature artist on his own pencils as opposed to another inker's. And prefer Romita's inks here over Kane's early style of inking.

Romita on Kane overpowers and simplifies Kane too much. I always preferred Kane inking Kane (GL 49-55+?), but Im sure it's a bit too rough for many eyes. But all his inkers smoothed his lines out too much... he inked em as he saw them in his head.

I think Gil Kane is the most under-rated and perhaps the best artist of the Silver Age. The small run he did on Amazing Spider-man is maybe the best series of sequential art ever on a run of comics.His panel work flows better than almost anyones. Issues #89 - 105., and then #120 - 124 are just amazing. I will post some more of these before this contest is over, but IMO, there has never been better panel art on any comics.

As Stan might have said,

Lo, there shall come an artist....

amspidey89page3.jpg

It looks like Spidey is searching for his lost nostrils!

What could be more ironic than Kane getting matched up with a hero whose mask covered his nose? It must have driven him buggy!

Jack

I think Gil Kane is the most under-rated and perhaps the best artist of the Silver Age. The small run he did on Amazing Spider-man is maybe the best series of sequential art ever on a run of comics.His panel work flows better than almost anyones. Issues #89 - 105., and then #120 - 124 are just amazing. I will post some more of these before this contest is over, but IMO, there has never been better panel art on any comics.

As Stan might have said,

Lo, there shall come an artist....

amspidey89page3.jpg

It looks like Spidey is searching for his lost nostrils!

What could be more ironic than Kane getting matched up with a hero whose mask covered his nose? It must have driven him buggy!

Jack

lol Or maybe he was relieved: "Thank god I don't have to draw so many damn noses for a change!"

My only hope is that the Steranko fanboys don't cook the vote.

i was thinking along those lines when the "Steranko Fan Club Thread" started.......but i even contributed to it today with the Front and Back covers of both Volumes of his Comic Book "History"...........

it's interesting to see how he drew most of the GA Superheroes and some of the SA that he didn't actually work on.

i don't think it will be him and Kirby at the end..................

Romita on Kane overpowers and simplifies Kane too much. I always preferred Kane inking Kane (GL 49-55+?), but Im sure it's a bit too rough for many eyes. But all his inkers smoothed his lines out too much... he inked em as he saw them in his head.

I would completely disagree with this. I think Kane pencils with Romita is the perfect combination of penciler and inker. Oh, and Williamson inked by Frazetta was okay too.

Kane had a fluidity to poses and panel to panel work that is just unmatched by anyone.

I can't believe that Wally Wood is getting so many votes.

That's revenge for changing Daredevil's costume from black/yellow to red.

Speaking of this, does anyone have scans of Daredevil #7? You want to see the ultimate Wally Wood silver age work, that is the book to get some scans of.

a little more Gil Kane from Amazing Spider-man #90

amspidey90page1.jpg

amspidey90page2.jpg

amspidey90page3.jpg

amspidey90page4.jpg

amspidey90page5.jpg

amspidey90page6.jpg

amspidey90page7.jpg

amspidey90page8.jpg

amspidey90page9.jpg

amspidey90page10.jpg

amspidey90page11.jpg

amspidey90page12.jpg

amspidey90page13.jpg

amspidey90page14.jpg

amspidey90page15.jpg

amspidey90page16.jpg

more to come later

I think you are preaching to the quire on Gil Kane.Check out those GL books right before Adams took over.Also the Blackmark book.Some very nice stuff.It just comes down to who I like better.

Dennis