• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefeld Ownage

48 posts in this topic

But...so what? I do not intend to be crass, just simply offer up the idea that a man can do what a man wishes to do, no?

Absolutely, he can and does choose to what he wants to do.

And being that he chooses to publish his choices in comics for the public to see and consume the public is free to comment, critique and speak with the same level of freedom and choice that we ascribe to RL.

RL obviously feels his artistic craft is good enough, regardless of maniacal 'fanboy' hatred. Also, its obvious that his art SELLS and has sold in the past, hence it does seem to me to be sour grapes, and a bit of personal disdain for the guy. My $$$ point was...he's made MILLIONS in this industry to date, and making fun of ANYONE who has attained such a lofty financial status in a given endeavor seems quite trite, imo.... hm

#1...that is exactly the problem with RL's art....he thinks it's "good enough". The best artists in our medium or any other medium are never satisfied with their talents and skills. They never think they are good enough, they strive for something better, they don't pander, they don't preen...they never say..."that's good enough"

#2...just because something sells or is popular should never EVER be confused with something that is "good" or "skillfully created". The TV show "Survivor" is going on it's 8th season...it's made millions for it's owners and it's network...no one is confusing it with Citizen Kane or Schindler's List.

#3...People who are true fans of comics and comic art especially don't give a damn about how many dollars RL had or has in the bank. Your argument is a non sequitur. His personal financial situation has nothing to do with how good or bad his artwork is, and his personal financial situation should not act as a barometer of how talented or talentless he is. One has nothing to do with the other.

The guy who created the pocket fisherman is a multi-millionaire but that does not mean his invention is better or more important than any of a thousand other inventions that help people everyday but have not netted their creator a windfall.

The fact that RL has stagnated in his craft (or gone backwards) going on decade #2 demonstrates a high degree of disrespect for artistry in general. As in #1...if you love something, and respect it...there is no "good enough." No one is talking about RL's business sense (which may have been more developed than his artistic sense.) They are talking about his Artistic Ability .

Given the fact that he willingly and voluntarily entered into this field and reaped the monetary benefits of it and the fame that came with it, it is far more trite to think he should be shielded from judgments about the product he creates simply because it sold well at one time or another.

If he wanted to be free from judgment he could sit at home and draw and many footless, wristless, squinty-eyed, melon-headed freaks that he wants and toss each one in the fireplace when he's done. He did not do that. When you enter the public eye for profit you have to be willing to take the good with the bad.

C

Is it just me, and NO, i'm no RL fan at all....BUT

is it just me, or does it seem a tad silly to make fun of a multi-millionaire?

kinda starts to sound/read like a lot of haters, and envious people...no?

I don't think anyone cares about how much money he has.... Just how much artistic talent he has.

Clearly, if he wanted to, Liefeld could study anatomy and perspective and become a much better artist. He can draw the "texture" and he can draw an "exciting" splash shot, but he doesn't seem to want to put the effort into becoming a complete artist. (shrug)

But...so what? I do not intend to be crass, just simply offer up the idea that a man can do what a man wishes to do, no? Todd Mcfarlane was a popluar artist, I personally found him to be VERY similar in talent, and knowledge of anatomy, and its proper structure (shrug)

Add to that, TM simply up and LEFT the business, and all his adoring fans, at the comics store, and has never gone back. He happen to start what became a HUGE toy company, and no longer felt the need/interest to draw comic books further. I thought personally that was a selfish, and poor decision, but it WAS his to make.

RL obviously feels his artistic craft is good enough, regardless of maniacal 'fanboy' hatred. Also, its obvious that his art SELLS and has sold in the past, hence it does seem to me to be sour grapes, and a bit of personal disdain for the guy. My $$$ point was...he's made MILLIONS in this industry to date, and making fun of ANYONE who has attained such a lofty financial status in a given endeavor seems quite trite, imo.... hm

OJ made millions. Michael Jackson made millions. Would it be in poor taste to make fun of these upstanding members of society? Mind you, I am not comparing Rob Liefeld to OJ and MJ, but ANY public figure is open to any and all jokes, jabs, innuendos, etc. It comes with the territory.

Also the fact that Liefeld "sucks" is a personal opinion that is shared by a lot of people including me. It physically hurts to look at his art.

Regardless of everything I wrote, the running commentary is hysterical. You have to admit that at least.

I'd like to point out that Todd MacFarlane did not leave the business. He simply stopped penciling as penciling takes up an inordinate amount of time compared to the time needed to successfully grow his business. Over the years, he tried to keep involved in the creative aspects of the business (and tried inking or doing the occasional cover), and I don't think anyone faults Todd for keeping Spawn in publication, all the movies and cartoons that resulted from it, as well as a hugely successful toy line that crossed genres into Sports and Movies.

Joe Quesada's penciling has fallen off due to the needs of his Marvel EIC job. The same thing happened with Jim Lee at Wildstorm. Frank Miller's recent works (Dark Knight Strikes Again and All-Star Batman and Robin) haven't been received too favorably as well. No one denies his impact on comics, however, and you can really see how his craft has been honed and evolved from his early works.

Rob Liefeld has also had an impact on comics and also has a well-deserved place in comic history. Make of that what you will. (thumbs u :P

(I personally like the guy and he seems to know what's wrong with his artwork. I've listened in on his various critiques of aspiring artists' work (portfolio reviews) at various cons.)

If Rob Liefeld was Emperor of Earth he'd still be an atrocious artist. Having said that, it's possible to be bad in an entertaining way. His horrid compositions have a vitality and a "comics-ness" that is totally lacking in the work of, say, Alex Ross.

Is it just me, and NO, i'm no RL fan at all....BUT

is it just me, or does it seem a tad silly to make fun of a multi-millionaire?

kinda starts to sound/read like a lot of haters, and envious people...no?

Screw that. It has nothing to do with hate/envy, it is some dang funny commentary. It would be in worse taste NOT to comment that some of those drawn guys are nearly 18 heads high(more than just slightly out of porportion, should be in the 6:1 range).

Should we not find humor in multi-millionares in general?

Who is fair game, the poor & wretched?

hm

I agree whole heartedly. Anyone remember the great MacFarllane/Kirkham debacle? Some would say MacFarllane should be unassailable by virtue of the money he made. Gandhi was poor and he had no knack for drawing the female figure. Bombs away.

That was hilarious and spot on! I've stayed up past my bedtime to read the whole thing lol

Now I remember all too clearly why I stopped buying comics completely a few months after Image were formed. I just got sick of the weird piles of random body parts masquerading as figures, and the endless angry big-gun wielding lifeless nobodies that I couldn't give a toss about.

If Rob Liefeld was Emperor of Earth he'd still be an atrocious artist. Having said that, it's possible to be bad in an entertaining way. His horrid compositions have a vitality and a "comics-ness" that is totally lacking in the work of, say, Alex Ross.

that's a great point. say what you will about his abilities or lack thereof, Liefeld's work is clearly the result of a guy who grew up really loving comics

That site was hilarious and spot on. I was never a big Liefeld guy (although I'll always be greatful for New Mutants #100, which I bought a boatload of back in the day for 75-cents a piece and traded them a few months later at a local show for $10 each :cloud9:).

Another thing I'll say about Liefeld, you'd be surprised at how many people still love his stuff. A few years back he was at B'more Con and his line dwarfed every other artist's at the show, including Jim Lee and Frank Cho!!!! :o

I will readily admit to some jealousy: I think I can outdraw RL any day, my anatomy is far better, yet I no longer work in that industry at all. Rob did something right: he emulated a style that was hot at the time and turned it into a fortune.

Artboy99

RobLS.jpg

heres a sketch I got from him :) Thought he needed some sticking up than pouncing on when most of us can't draw any better than he can :D

ps O blame the editors or those who hire him for letting stuff like that slip through :D :D :P