• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the real reasons Captain America got killed off?

37 posts in this topic

I was fascinated by these old articles found on the web. I think maybe there was a reason why they killed Captain America off and coming up with a new costume.

Marvel Comics isn't going to give up Captain America without a fight.

joe simon settles with marvel

Could be a reason why the rumor of the death of Batman with copyrights coming to a end?

I was fascinated by these old articles found on the web. I think maybe there was a reason why they killed Captain America off and coming up with a new costume.

Joe Simon settles with Marvel

Could be a reason why the rumor of the death of Batman with copyrights coming to a end?

Always thought the CAP was past his sell by date in terms of trying to compete with SPIDEY, BATMAN, HULK, IRON MAN, X-MEN et al.

I've always thought he was a trifle camp, even in the camp world of super-heroes...and a bit dated.

Btw...your link does'nt work :gossip:

Always thought the CAP was past his sell by date in terms of trying to compete with SPIDEY, BATMAN, HULK, IRON MAN, X-MEN et al.

I've always thought he was a trifle camp, even in the camp world of super-heroes...and a bit dated.

Btw...your link does'nt work :gossip:

strange they worked for me when I preview post. now I know there is a conspiracy. lol. I will try to fix.

What a scary concept.

Albeit it does reeek of corporte thinking...e.g. all too a real prospect in the face of it all. What a sad inditement on the legal manifest swallowing the spirit in which all this done doh!

Cap like any other character is relevant as long as the creative people involved have

A) talent

B) emotional investment in the character.

To me, Cap has been fun to read and collect since the first time I encountered him back in the 1970s. His books have had some high times(S&K, Kirby, Englehart, Zeck, Waid/Garney, Cassady, and Brubaker) and some low times(Frank Robbins, Kirby's 70s return, and "shudder" Leifield).

He's still my favorite comic character and I patiently await his return.

I have mixed emotions about this whole heirs debating taking place in our industry today. On one hand I wish the creators of the 30's and 40's, whom brought us much joy and continue to do so today, are well taken care of in some way. But on the other hand, I find it hard to swallow that todays legal haggling are about some greater good.

Corporations have formed around these characters. They employee hundreds of people. To take away Captain America would mean that a few of these hundreds no longer have a source of income and therefore a means to provide for their families. Furthermore, what about the millions of dollars companies like Marvel and DC have spent on advertising? What about those who contribute to the legend of the characters that their creators insist that they along created? Would Captain America be worth a damn today if not for the finical backing of Marvel and storylines written by Stan Lee? I seriously doubt it. Marvel has grown the brand, not Simon. He only seemed to become interested when the characters themselves became a franchise.

These corporations have paid pensions and monetary settlements to their creators numerous times. And during an era in which work for hire was the call of the day, it's amazing that they've received anything. There are numerous stories about much more important inventions today which their creators never saw a dime in profits, let alone 'settlements' and 'pensions'. For example, my old man, along with a small group of others help create GPS. Neither he nor my family have seen, nor expect any type of monetary gain from his doings. Because corporations have taken that technology, placed millions into researching it and even more millions marketing it. Without those corporations, GPS wouldn't even been possible.

I feel that these men have gotten their ego's inflated by lawyers looking for a way to make their own millions. Furthermore, I feel that Simon, who insulted his audience calling us the 'masturbation generation', is simply looking for a way to leave his children an inheritance. While honorable, it doesn't really seem to coincide with the reality that our society operates in.

Well what's the scoop here? Did this go to court in June or not?

Sounds to me that Marvel has some very sturdy legal ground

with the document signed by Joe, stating he was on a

employee for hire with the Goodmans.

A bummer that Joe was not so smart in 1966, but that is the way

it is; unless he can afford a "real" intellectual properties attorney

this time.

I have mixed emotions about this whole heirs debating taking place in our industry today. On one hand I wish the creators of the 30's and 40's, whom brought us much joy and continue to do so today, are well taken care of in some way. But on the other hand, I find it hard to swallow that todays legal haggling are about some greater good.

Corporations have formed around these characters. They employee hundreds of people. To take away Captain America would mean that a few of these hundreds no longer have a source of income and therefore a means to provide for their families. Furthermore, what about the millions of dollars companies like Marvel and DC have spent on advertising? What about those who contribute to the legend of the characters that their creators insist that they along created? Would Captain America be worth a damn today if not for the finical backing of Marvel and storylines written by Stan Lee? I seriously doubt it. Marvel has grown the brand, not Simon. He only seemed to become interested when the characters themselves became a franchise.

These corporations have paid pensions and monetary settlements to their creators numerous times. And during an era in which work for hire was the call of the day, it's amazing that they've received anything. There are numerous stories about much more important inventions today which their creators never saw a dime in profits, let alone 'settlements' and 'pensions'. For example, my old man, along with a small group of others help create GPS. Neither he nor my family have seen, nor expect any type of monetary gain from his doings. Because corporations have taken that technology, placed millions into researching it and even more millions marketing it. Without those corporations, GPS wouldn't even been possible.

I feel that these men have gotten their ego's inflated by lawyers looking for a way to make their own millions. Furthermore, I feel that Simon, who insulted his audience calling us the 'masturbation generation', is simply looking for a way to leave his children an inheritance. While honorable, it doesn't really seem to coincide with the reality that our society operates in.

wow. your whole point boils down to: "my dad got screwed legally and so should these guys!"

Sorry. youre missing the point of all the recent lawsuits etc. And I think you know all about the S&S case and the Simon case. So I dont have to spell it out.

so, if some "scumbag money grubbing lawyer" called you and made a good case that recent laws were passed and that he can sue for your dad for a piece of the global GPS business, youd what? show him the door? Put yourselves in the heirs shoes. Actually, you ARE in their shoes. If you had a chance to get back what was "stolen" from your dad, what would you do?

Anyway, your dad worked on a team in a corporate lab. Simon, S and S created stuff in their bedrooms ON THEIR OWN BEFORE THEY EVER HAD A JOB in comics.. A little different, no? None of the other comics creators are affected at all due the the new copyright laws that have resulted in the lawsuits, so relax!!! Every single comics artists writer etc is just as screwed as you and your dad.

hey, Whet. Im not attacking you. I wrote that pretty harshly. Sorry if it reads like an attack. I think your point was "life stinks, mess happens. move on with your lives" as you and your family have. And I agree with you. 999 times out of 1000 we just have no recourse when we are wronged.

But the US Congress rewrote the copyright laws and created an opening for specific cases of lost ownership of intellectual property. Why fault the creators or ther heirs for seeking legal recompense? thats MY point.

What a scary concept.

Albeit it does reeek of corporte thinking...e.g. all too a real prospect in the face of it all. What a sad inditement on the legal manifest swallowing the spirit in which all this done doh!

that`s what I thought but in not those exact words. Joe Simon in 1966 or 1967 signed a settlement agreement that said "all of his work on [Captain America] was done as an employee for hire of the Goodmans." As part of the deal, he also would receive an undisclosed amount from Marvel.Marvel thinks this is done with it but ah Joe Simon again sued them in 1999 for another settlement. what they might be thinking is in another 20 to 25 years when the rights comes up again that thier Captain America will have a new costume and new identity and won`t have to worry about paying Joe Simon heirs again.

Are ther any legal rights that say the artist or writer of these comic books can't buy up a small stock of books and then sign them to make a profit??

maybe take a picture(s) of the books that he / she maybe signing and turn around an resell them for a bit more then payed.

isn't that what's taking place with CGC s.series but all these people have to do is knock out the middle man.

OR is there some thing here I'm not in tune with.

Are ther any legal rights that say the artist or writer of these comic books can't buy up a small stock of books and then sign them to make a profit??

maybe take a picture(s) of the books that he / she maybe signing and turn around an resell them for a bit more then payed.

isn't that what's taking place with CGC s.series but all these people have to do is knock out the middle man.

OR is there some thing here I'm not in tune with.

Big work for small money vs. no work for big money.

Jack

wow. your whole point boils down to: "my dad got screwed legally and so should these guys!"

Sorry. youre missing the point of all the recent lawsuits etc. And I think you know all about the S&S case and the Simon case. So I dont have to spell it out.

so, if some "scumbag money grubbing lawyer" called you and made a good case that recent laws were passed and that he can sue for your dad for a piece of the global GPS business, youd what? show him the door? Put yourselves in the heirs shoes. Actually, you ARE in their shoes. If you had a chance to get back what was "stolen" from your dad, what would you do?

Anyway, your dad worked on a team in a corporate lab. Simon, S and S created stuff in their bedrooms ON THEIR OWN BEFORE THEY EVER HAD A JOB in comics.. A little different, no? None of the other comics creators are affected at all due the the new copyright laws that have resulted in the lawsuits, so relax!!! Every single comics artists writer etc is just as screwed as you and your dad.

Sorry you entirely missed the point enitrely. It was just an example. doh!

hey, Whet. Im not attacking you. I wrote that pretty harshly. Sorry if it reads like an attack. I think your point was "life stinks, mess happens. move on with your lives" as you and your family have. And I agree with you. 999 times out of 1000 we just have no recourse when we are wronged.

But the US Congress rewrote the copyright laws and created an opening for specific cases of lost ownership of intellectual property. Why fault the creators or ther heirs for seeking legal recompense? thats MY point.

Good point. I guess you can't fault anyone when given the opportunity. I know I would probably fight to make my children's future a bit brighter then my own.

Funny how Captain America is the best written comic being published right now. Perhaps the best ever now that I think of it.....