• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NY Comic Con 2008

268 posts in this topic

Edward G

The lines will be long as people will camp out a few hours before the show opens for the general public. Usually these individuals are looking to get on an artist's commission list before it's closed or looking for limited edition toy statues exclusive to the show.

If you are not so concerned about getting "shut out", and want to minimize your time on line, then wait until after the doors officially opens. Some artists may still do quick free sketches even if their commission list is closed.

If I recall correctly from last year, those who showed up later waited about 45 minutes hm to get in as opposed to early birds camping out who waited a few hours. :sick:

Friday afternoon is best day to go. :banana: Saturday is absolutely packed. :P

This year, Sunday is one kid under 12 are free when accompanied by a paid adult so maybe Saturday won't be as crowded.

Cheers!

N

:grin:

Ask and you shall receive ........

.... for those on this thread asking for Romita Sr., it looks like he has just been added to the show. The guest list just added a (worship) "Living Legends" (worship) section with Stan Lee, Romita Sr., Ayers, Carmine Infantino, Joe Sinnott, Joe Simon, Nick Cardy, Joe Kubert, and Irwin Hasen. CGC may want to send some witnesses for a signature series signing.

Kudos to the show organizers. :applause:

Of course, the lines to get in just got longer. :sick:

Cheers!

N

:banana:

Do you guys recommend a good sketchbook over others? This is gonna be my first real convention experience and I really want to get some sketches from artists but I'm new at this game.

Another question, re: terminology:

commissions = professional artwork?

I just want like doodles, sketches, head shots, anything really to have as a keepsake (I don't even really care if it's quality artwork). Is this generally costly even with the sketchbook you guys mentioned earlier, or does it depend on artist? Do you wait on line, ask for the sketch and get it there and then, pick it up later, etc?

Was trying to scour the internet for FAQs on this and came up short, and I saw you guys were talking about it earlier.

Do you guys recommend a good sketchbook over others? This is gonna be my first real convention experience and I really want to get some sketches from artists but I'm new at this game.

I just want like doodles, sketches, head shots, anything really to have as a keepsake (I don't even really care if it's quality artwork). Is this generally costly even with the sketchbook you guys mentioned earlier, or does it depend on artist? Do you wait on line, ask for the sketch and get it there and then, pick it up later, etc?

Was trying to scour the internet for FAQs on this and came up short, and I saw you guys were talking about it earlier.

Commisions are where you pay an artist to do a usually large detailed work of art for you.

A commission is any piece of work an artist does for you. I've seen people commission an artist for a $10 sketche. I've also witnessed others commissioning an artist for a $1000 11x13 drawing. (David Finch Gambit/Rogue page at NYCC07)

Hopefully this information can help.

1. For the most part, sketch books are sketch books. Make sure you always have them sketch at least two or three pages apart from the previous sketch in your book. Alot of artist ink will bleed through the paper they are drawing on and leave ink on at least one if not two pages of paper behind it. Or you can put a small blotter piece behind the page they are working on.

2. If you know who you want to sketch for you. Go to them the moment the show opens. Most artists will have a sign-up sheet of some type for scheduling their sketchs. If you wait until late in the day or the second day of the show, chances are their sketch list will be filled up for the show.

3. Some artist charge for simple sketchs (head, doodle, etc.) and some do not. But be prepared to pay for any type of sketch you ask for. And please be mindful of the artists time. There is nothing worse then a fan walking up to an artist and asking for a sketch. The artist says there is a charge for it and the fans gets an attitude with the artist. Remember that the artist is there to make money. They have to pay for their booth, their airfare (transportation) and hotel. That all cost money and they make that money doing sketchs or commissions.

4. Commissions are full blown usually full page original art drawn for you. The price range can usually start at at least $200 or go way up from there. If you REALLY want a commission piece to be done nicely, offer to the artist to take their time and do the sketch after the show and have them mail it to you. You still have to pay for it up front, but that way they don't have to rush it through to finish at the show.

I hope this is information you can find useful. If you have any questions about attending cons, please don't hesitate to PM me. I am a CGC Signature Series Witness and I attend at least 5-8 shows a year, if not more. lol I have already done 4 shows this year. I will be in New York and Pittsburgh.

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I found out from work that I may be NYC that week. I can extend my stay to Friday, but I have to be on an afternoon flight home as I have commitments on Saturday. I noticed that the show doesn't open until 3PM.

Question 1: Will dealers be set-up during the professional hours starting at 10AM?

Question 2: If yes, does anyone have an exhibitor pass I can use for Friday?

They added Eva Mendez :cloud9:

the line up Jan/07 just for Stan Lee was krazy. The sons/daughters of comic vendors started lining up inside at 8:30 a.m. on the Friday of the advance preview. Doors did not even open to the public til about Fri. 3:00 pm. :foryou:

They added Eva Mendez :cloud9:

the line up Jan/07 just for Stan Lee was krazy. The sons/daughters of comic vendors started lining up inside at 8:30 a.m. on the Friday of the advance preview. Doors did not even open to the public til about Fri. 3:00 pm. :foryou:

Yes but at 11am just just decided to give the tickets out to the people who were in line, I know because I was #6 in line! :cloud9:

I found out from work that I may be NYC that week. I can extend my stay to Friday, but I have to be on an afternoon flight home as I have commitments on Saturday. I noticed that the show doesn't open until 3PM.

Question 1: Will dealers be set-up during the professional hours starting at 10AM?

Question 2: If yes, does anyone have an exhibitor pass I can use for Friday?

Thanks all. If I can make it, I'm in.

We are looking forward to returning this year. We are less than 2 weeks away. We will be set up at BOOTH #2832 by Artist Alley. Stop by & say "HI" & protect your collectibles with us.