• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 27 comming up at Heritage.

119 posts in this topic

Surprisingly they don't have any of the items from the catalog listed on the website, it's just a special offering set sale catalog.

The Tec #27 is noted in the catalog by Matt as being in VG prior to his work - which kind of blows my mind. I'm hoping he's meaning VG with some amateur restoration (including the trimming), as a solid VG would already be a 65K+ book, no need to restore it to bring the price to that level.

I rather like some of the pre-Columbian art in the catalog, but it's definitely got an eclectic mix from all the categories Heritage deals with from jewelry to stamps to civil war to baseball.

just to clarify, a solid VG with no work is a $100K++ book, easy....I know of a cgc 3.0 blue that is changing hands in the $90K range

so, it had to of already been trimmed? (shrug)

gator

I know of a recently sold CGC 5.5 pedigree unrestored copy that sold for $115k. I held it and read it before it was graded. Had tape on the spine that was removed years ago, but it had nice gloss and was a very solid book.

does the new owner want to sell it to me for a nice little profit?

rick

What type of person would be a likely buyer for a book like that?

hmI think I may have found him..... :hi:

I don't know - this Detective 27 looks suspicious to me. I say we get Paratrooper on it with one of his famous $8,000,000.00 bids! (thumbs u

eightmillion.jpg

That's funny as hell! Although to critique a little, I should be holding Action #2 and not #1.

What type of person would be a likely buyer for a book like that?

hmI think I may have found him..... :hi:

I don't know - this Detective 27 looks suspicious to me. I say we get Paratrooper on it with one of his famous $8,000,000.00 bids! (thumbs u

eightmillionx.jpg

dude, that is a riot

Why do you really think that They would put a key comicbook in an auction that has historical memoribilia instead of in there comicbook auction where all the knowledgible comic buyers[and bigger dollars presumibly are for this item.

I think the answer is clear based on the condition and asking price.

It's not an auction. :gossip:

It's a catalog they sent out to a select group of buyers.

Why do you really think that They would put a key comicbook in an auction that has historical memoribilia instead of in there comicbook auction where all the knowledgible comic buyers[and bigger dollars presumibly are for this item.

I think the answer is clear based on the condition and asking price.

It's not an auction. :gossip:

It's a catalog they sent out to a select group of buyers.

It's a club- I'm ticked off that I wasn't accepted for membership

However-My wife would be ticked off if I was accepted for membership.

Is it easy to sneak $50,000 comic books into one's house without the wife knowing? Unfortunately she knows the cost of the books as well as I do. She just doesn't understand the "vlalue" of the books.

X-Mas must be coming:

For a few days I've been noticing a whole pile of mail entirely covering our kitchen table (maybe 24 square ft). Could we possibly get that much in a day? A week?

I didn't know that many people cared enough to write us. So after passing by a few times I saw the yellow pad out with a header, X-MAS DONATIONS. Then it all made sense. I sure hope the outflow doesn't cut into my comic purchases.

Anyway, where am I going with this tale of woe? Oh yea, now I remember. Today my wife hands me this non ditnguished catalogue from Heritage (the one for members only). A few days late but at least it showed. I guess they didn't forget me. I immediately flipped by Lincoln's second prclamation before his third proclamation (somthing like that)

which only retailed for a cool half mill. I guess Comic link passd on that offering?

I leafed past the guns, masks, and the Elvismobile focusing on my mission to find the one article worth viewing.Where is that Detective 27? Lo and behold on the bottom of page28 there it is. Reading through the description I noted Matt Nelson indicated that he transforned this unrestored VG copy into a restored VF. The experts at Heritage believe the unrestored VG copy would bring $60,000/$80,000.

Let's middle their assumption and call this a $70,000 book. Adding Nelson's cost of time to this figure we are now looking at a Restored asking price of $62,500. The book is worth less touched than untouched? Is this Bizarro world pricing?

Has anyone on this site ever viewed a Heritage auction? How often do they sell raw $50000+ books? Why not CGC the relic? For heavens sake, the book was trimmed so it should fit into the CGC holder.

and the fact that they misquoted (unintentionally, I assume (shrug) ) Nelson...matt told me when he got the book, it was already restored and trimmed...he just removed the previous resto and restored the book properly...

I just keep thinking, what a very odd place to put a very important piece of comicbook history?I was totally surprised to see it there especially since they have a comicbook division. What was the rational for not putting it in a signature comic auction where its exposer would have been mega fold more?

I just keep thinking, what a very odd place to put a very important piece of comicbook history?I was totally surprised to see it there especially since they have a comicbook division. What was the rational for not putting it in a signature comic auction where its exposer would have been mega fold more?

hiding it (shrug) ....knowing full well that a restored and trimmed copy is not worth even 60% of their asking price...

Rick, my 1st reaction when I saw it,I felt very offended by the asking price because 65k for that book is so RIDICULOUSLY out of line for a restored Tec 27 and with trimming. I just really felt like they were looking for a sucker.THey have a comicbook division, they know what its really worth..65k is way outta line here. Look, I dont know what there tthinking.THis is just one mans opinion.

hiding it (shrug) ....knowing full well that a restored and trimmed copy is not worth even 60% of their asking price...

makes sense to me....maybe hoping some rich lady will read her husband's catatlog and say "Jim likes Batman.....wouldn't this be a neat suprise gift for him"

Of course with all this resto the books worth alot less but with TRIMMING you have got to give this book a very serious haircut.Is there anything worse than trimming to a books value? and than theres all this resto on top of it..I call the book at 28k....Whats your call?......If you have ever seen or sold a trimmed book you know it is devastating to a books value.