• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 27 comming up at Heritage.

119 posts in this topic

my take on this little catalogue was that it felt like a "Heritage Sampler".... expensive items from many of their different collecting genre specialities.. Except it didnt have any movie posters or big paintings like Elvgren... But - - maybe thats because the catalog is made up of only items that never sold in the auctions... making it a sort "Best of Whats Still Here" thing.

And why not have a Tec27 in ther ewith the other cool stuff? Like introducing a new girl at a party to your friends. As for the price? too high. Maybe all the other items are too high too.. Who knows?

If bidders are willing to pay that price, then it's worth that price, whether or not others think they shouldn't. The description gives all the disclosure and information one should ask for. But there's always some people out there who think "a buyer's not informed unless he knows what I think. So if some 'uninformed' guy pays too much I'll yell it to the hills that he overpaid and do all I can to make sure he can't resell. That'll show him for not consulting me first to learn it's true value"

my take on this little catalogue was that it felt like a "Heritage Sampler".... expensive items from many of their different collecting genre specialities.. Except it didnt have any movie posters or big paintings like Elvgren... But - - maybe thats because the catalog is made up of only items that never sold in the auctions... making it a sort "Best of Whats Still Here" thing.

And why not have a Tec27 in ther ewith the other cool stuff? Like introducing a new girl at a party to your friends. As for the price? too high. Maybe all the other items are too high too.. Who knows?

If bidders are willing to pay that price, then it's worth that price, whether or not others think they shouldn't. The description gives all the disclosure and information one should ask for. But there's always some people out there who think "a buyer's not informed unless he knows what I think. So if some 'uninformed' guy pays too much I'll yell it to the hills that he overpaid and do all I can to make sure he can't resell. That'll show him for not consulting me first to learn it's true value"

hm

Hmm....guess I never should have steered "uninformed" people away from homes they couldn't afford and that were overpriced to begin with two years ago.

Every so often, I'll still get a call or email from people who thank me for being the voice of reason that kept them from making a huge financial mistake.

Just because you can buy something, doesn't mean you should, nor does it mean its actually worth what your dumb, uninformed is willing to pay.

Afterall, in comics, like in houses, it really comes down to the same basic poker principle: if you can't spot the sucker at the table, chances are, its probably you.

Hmm....guess I never should have steered "uninformed" people away from homes they couldn't afford and that were overpriced to begin with two years ago.

Every so often, I'll still get a call or email from people who thank me for being the voice of reason that kept them from making a huge financial mistake.

Just because you can buy something, doesn't mean you should, nor does it mean its actually worth what your dumb, uninformed is willing to pay.

Afterall, in comics, like in houses, it really comes down to the same basic poker principle: if you can't spot the sucker at the table, chances are, its probably you.

Point made -- but my point was not about informing one person but about taking it to the point where you're seeking to persuade any and all buyers that a house isn't worth what they're all willing to pay, and then taking it further to punish them for paying "too much" by making further efforts to dissuade any secondary buyers. That takes informing to the point of manipulating.

As for how much Parrino lost, didn't he lose money on the one category that was supposed to be bulletproof? I have read a lot of advice on these boards "informing" people that when it comes to the highest graded slabbed books there is virtually no such thing as a ceiling.

[/ quote]

ya know, why dont we stop trashing Parrino, and face it that in the end, he "manned up" to his mistakes and took it on the chin and walked away. He overpaid for bad stuff, and sold his good stuff too soon to get his inflated prices back. But in the final analysis, he didnt even go back to Geppi and try to get his money back. He walked. I bet he's made a fortune in the market since then and no longer even cares about the lousy few hundred grand he dropped on comics.