• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man SS crack, sign and re-sub Run

43 posts in this topic

I'm sure many people have thoughts of cracking their 9.8's and 9.6's out of the shell to get signed by a writer/inker/artist but worry about grade losses and such on the regrade after it goes through the artists hand and the person who cracks it out and such. I'm cracking 32 Amazing Spider-man High grade CGC 9.8's out of the slab. I already have a copy of 250 SS 9.8 JRJR from another boardie a few months back which was the only book I kept to start that new SS set. My results thus far are below and more will populate in in the coming month or 2 as I get books back from CGC. I'll post scans when I get the actual books in my hands as well.

After selling my 8 ASM CGC 9.9's in the last year along with over 50 9.8's here and there I had some money left to put back into the books for now, so have been buying my good friend John's books and cracking / getting signed and re-subbing with the help of the good ppl such as Jon / Anthony & Kevin that are on the boards quite frequently.

I may be keeping the whole Hobgoblin run and selling some of the others though I'm not sure as of yet. A few of these 1/4 .. 1/6 books are worth hundreds of dollars just in 9.8 at that grade as they are rare to find and that was the second biggest risk. The biggest cracking the 238. I can't wait to get some of these books back and loved the opportunity to be able to get them signed by all who participated in the cons that worked on those particular books.

I don't have all the grades as of yet but the total following books were submitted in CGC 9.8's and went through the crack / sign and resub process.

Book / Signed by / Grade Return from 9.8

ASM221 - 1/6 @ 9.8 Alan Kupperberg

ASM222 Bob Hall

ASM224 - 1/5 Roger Stern

ASM225 Roger Stern

ASM226 - 1/8 Roger Stern

ASM227 Roger Stern

ASM233 Roger Stern

ASM234 Roger Stern

ASM235 Roger Stern

ASM236 Roger Stern

ASM237 Roger Stern

ASM238 Roger Stern

ASM239 Roger Stern

ASM244 Roger Stern

ASM245 Roger Stern

ASM249 - 1/7 Roger Stern

ASM250 John Romita JR 9.8

ASM251 Roger Stern

ASM254 Joe Rubenstein 9.6

ASM258 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM259 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM260 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM264 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM268 Joe Rubenstein 9.6

ASM269 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM270 Joe Rubenstein 9.6

ASM271 Joe Rubenstein 9.6

ASM275 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM282 Bob Layton

ASM285 Alan Kupperberg & Bob McLeod

ASM286 Alan Kupperberg

ASM288 Alan Kupperberg & Bob McLeod

ASM292 Alex Saviuk

All of the 9.8's that I've gotten so far are 1/1 in 9.8 SS with the exception of 275 which has 3. I now own the best copy of 250/258/259/260/264.

One big list of SS high grade books anyway. I'll keep updating the grades as I get them in the next 6-8 weeks as some of them only just were done recently at Cons.

Those are great results. Good luck on the remaining books. Pirate and JonJ have cracked a couple of my 9.8 books for signing and they remained 9.8.

I have been toying with the same idea for my X-Men 201-300 books Richard. You have set yourself a very worthy collecting challenge.

Thanks to all for kind words and Happy Birthday to you buddy. Hope it's a good one!

I'm sure a copper SS set would be the icing on the cake as that was the area I started reading the books seriously in and have a hard time moving into any other area. I'd love to get all SMan's Villain's 1st apps as well. Maybe later.

Richard

Good luck with your quest, I am sure it will work out. Glad to see the ASM 250 is the starting point of your goal.. lol

Yes your book triggered a need for some serious Hobgoblin issues and the rest I may use to fund a bigger TV and put some money down with Metro on some early ASM issues.

Thanks again Francisco for giving me a new CGC dream starting with your ASM250 SS JRJR brother!!!

:-)

Best,

Richard

Sounds great. I want that 238 to be a and the 1st SS 9.8 but my second true hope is that 249 hammers home a 9.8. That is and has always been one of my very top covers.

What books ya got out if ya don't mind me asking?

Here's a scan of 249 which was 1/7 in 9.8 and after the Crack of slab is now the 1st SS book and there is only 6 left @ 9.8.

I got this 9.6 of the book pic on ebay. I've seen one 9.8 hit ebay and I believe it was a 350 or so USD sale at the time if memory serves correctly that wolvermint sold.

82161463_o.jpg

Good luck. (thumbs u

You definitely need to post scans when you get them all together.

am i fired if the #238 doesn't come back 9.8? Talk about pressure.

How could I fire the only guy that knows how to Super Crack slabs Anthony? Are you kidding me???

lol

I'm glad you could help me get 15 or more books done in one sitting at a con. We can really only hope for the best and if the 238 hits or misses I'm the only one I can blame for giving the go ahead on cracking an 800-1000 dollar book anyway.

Thanks again for all your help sir!!!

Richard

am i fired if the #238 doesn't come back 9.8? Talk about pressure.

How could I fire the only guy that knows how to Super Crack slabs Anthony? Are you kidding me???

lol

I'm glad you could help me get 15 or more books done in one sitting at a con. We can really only hope for the best and if the 238 hits or misses I'm the only one I can blame for giving the go ahead on cracking an 800-1000 dollar book anyway.

Thanks again for all your help sir!!!

Richard

:o (worship)

Good stuff and good luck with the grades. I will let you know when I get my stuff back.