• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man SS crack, sign and re-sub Run

43 posts in this topic

am i fired if the #238 doesn't come back 9.8? Talk about pressure.

How could I fire the only guy that knows how to Super Crack slabs Anthony? Are you kidding me???

lol

I'm glad you could help me get 15 or more books done in one sitting at a con. We can really only hope for the best and if the 238 hits or misses I'm the only one I can blame for giving the go ahead on cracking an 800-1000 dollar book anyway.

Thanks again for all your help sir!!!

Richard

:o (worship)

Good stuff and good luck with the grades. I will let you know when I get my stuff back.

Sounds good I look forward to hearing your results as well. Post them in this thread.

See how many ASM Slabs we can crack and Move to Yellow Label goodness!!!!!!

Richard

Got some great updates today from Anthony / Pirate. 1 strange return grade but all the rest were :-) :-)

Here's an updated list with the books in Green that I got back grades on today! I said to a few friends that the fact the next batch of 15 that were done would probably get more 9.8's as it seems that they were Old Small print blue labels for the most part and bought years ago. They seemed generally are very tight graded 9.8's a tad more than the newer label books.

Book / Signed by / Grade Return from 9.8

ASM221 - 1/6 @ 9.8 Alan Kupperberg

ASM222 Bob Hall

ASM224 - 1/5 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.8

ASM225 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.8

ASM226 - 1/8 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.8

ASM227 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.2 :o - Obviously that one being the off one

ASM233 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.8

ASM234 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.8

ASM235 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.8

ASM236 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.8

ASM237 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.6

ASM238 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.8 - 1st 238 9.8 SS -1st Hobgoblin HAPPY HAPPY

ASM239 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.8 - 1st 239 9.8 SS - 2nd Hobgoblin

ASM244 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.6

ASM245 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.8 - 1st 9.8 SS - 4th Hobgoblin

ASM249 - 1/7 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.6 - Unfortunate drop as I mentioned I'd love it in 9.8 but still a beautiful book in any yellow label and I will be adding it to my new Hobgoblin and key books run from 200-300

ASM250 John Romita JR 9.8

ASM251 Roger Stern - CGC - 9.8 - 1st 9.8 SS

ASM254 Joe Rubenstein 9.6

ASM258 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM259 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM260 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM264 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM268 Joe Rubenstein 9.6

ASM269 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM270 Joe Rubenstein 9.6

ASM271 Joe Rubenstein 9.6

ASM275 Joe Rubenstein 9.8

ASM282 Bob Layton

ASM285 Alan Kupperberg & Bob McLeod

ASM286 Alan Kupperberg

ASM288 Alan Kupperberg & Bob McLeod

ASM292 Alex Saviuk

So 11 Out of 15 books signed and re-slabbed came back in the sweet sweet 9.8 Yellow Label and some that I'm keeping for my personal Hobgoblin collection. I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEKING SUPER HAPPY and it's a great christmas gift for myself on that 238 and 239. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All 11 books are now 1/1 at the top of census as the only copies of those books ever to hit the SS 9.8 grade.

Thank you soooo much Anthony / John and Kevin!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see these last 7 books when the grades return to me in the next few weeks and when I get the books in the mail I'll add in the scans. I'll have the first 10 books in the next couple weeks so the scan viewing shall begin in this thread finally.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard

Thanks!!!!!!

I'm very excited as I have no plans on selling any of my Hobgoblin books and those first 2 were top of my list to hit the 9.8 on the re-slab.

PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Personally I think that the 227 coming back as a 9.2 has nothing to do with the graders or the way the artist handled the book. I believe when it was shipped to my friend John from who he bought it from or perhaps the person before that, the book was probably dropped in the package in the mail and suffered (SCS) which I wouldn't of seen as I never had that specific book in my hands to view.

I've seen SCS and realize that this is more than likely the situation that created the drop in grade.

All in all they've been pretty bang on in keeping the books in tip top shape getting them from home to the con / artist signed / back in the protective sleeves they use and all the way back to CGC for re-grading.

I'd recommend this to anyone of course which books you would do this with would be at your own discretion.

I was dying to know if the 238 hit or flopped since I made the last minute decision to go ahead with the crack and sign.

You can ask Pirate I flipped my mind the night before and then went back with my original decision that Roger Stern is the Writer / Creator of the Hobgoblin and his signature would be essential to my Hobgoblin set. I'd not risk re-cracking it and getting JRJR to sign and risk it again but I'll probably grab a ASM238 - CGC - 9.6 SS JRJR down the road as he was part of the Stern / JRJR combo team that created and drew the man with the yellow mask.

Richard

I've had some assists from the SS guys on getting some of my books signed, but I have kept them raw for now. I'm sorta :wishluck: for a Stan Lee signing and if one does come along... I might consider adding a yellow label to my collection.

But the whole signature thing is definitely cool in my book.

Congrats on the 238 & 239! Your yellow label run is off to a great start!

Thanks Steve,

Unfortunately finances aren't the best but I'm still keeping my commitment with John to buy over $6K of his books that I had scheduled to buy and in doing so I've got this Yellow Label madness to a great start.

The books I'll be keeping are as follows and the rest I'll be moving. Really on the line with books such as ASM269 Firelord SS 9.8. I'd love to keep it but got to keep moving with my schedule and finish my prior commitments.

I've decided to keep every Hobgoblin issue as Issue ASM238 was the first book I read as a kid 5 years old and I still have a detached cover copy at my mom's from when I was 5. lol

Here's my new set:

ASM238 - CGC - 9.8 - SS - Stern

ASM239 - CGC - 9.8 - SS - Stern

ASM244 - CGC - 9.6 - SS - Stern

ASM245 - CGC - 9.8 - SS - Stern

ASM249 - CGC - 9.6 - SS - Stern

ASM250 - CGC - 9.8 - SS - JRJR

ASM251 - CGC - 9.8 - SS - Stern

ASM254 - CGC - 9.6 - SS - Rubenstein - Jack'O'Lantern (Macendale) who becomes Hobby

ASM259 - CGC - 9.8 - SS - Rubenstein

ASM260 - CGC - 9.8 - SS - Rubenstein

ASM275 - CGC - 9.8 - SS - Rubenstein

ASM285 - CGC - Unknown - SS - Kupperberg / McLeod

ASM286 - CGC - Unknown - SS - Kupperberg

ASM288 - CGC - Unknown - SS - Kupperberg / Mcleod

I'm very happy with what I'll have left simply for the fact that that yellow masked man is and always has been my favorite villain and I'll have the Ultimate Hobgoblin full set. I just have the following to add into it and John has them all ready for me.

ASM261 - CGC - 9.8

ASM276 - CGC - 9.8

ASM277 - CGC - 9.8

ASM278 - CGC - 9.8

ASM279 - CGC - 9.8 - Jack'O'Lantern - Macendale becomes Hobby in ASM289

ASM284 - CGC - 9.8

ASM287 - CGC - 9.8

ASM289 - CGC - 9.8 - I have a copy but need to locate it as Doug had sent it to CGC to someone there for me for SSing but not to sure on the whereabouts of that book. I'll have to dig that one up.

Crazy that Hobgoblin was introduced in Issue 238 and had an impact in 22 of the next 51 issues from that point to issue 289

Richard

Hmmmmmmmmm McFarlane is going to be available now and I"m looking at sending in:

ASM298 - CGC - 9.8

ASM299 - CGC - 9.8

ASM300 - CGC - 9.8 - EEEEEEPS

-- Trying to picture this a $900.00 book if signed and re-slabbed at 9.8 moves to about a $1200.00 dollar book but I'd keep it with my Hobgoblin appearances in yellow as well as 298 and 299.

-- Now if it comes back a 9.6 it moves from a $900.00 dollar book to about a $450.00 dollar book even signed by McFarlane.

---------------

Got a couple books to pay off but It looks like I'll be getting these books to a Witness for the coming show. I'll return here and confirm that these books are 100% moving in that direction when I clear up a couple debts and ensure that is the case. Just want to make sure that is in the budget but I think it is.

Richard.