• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic construction tutorial

18 posts in this topic

Class is in session.

Everyone, please take a seat.

Greggy, you and bug go sit in the corner for throwing spitballs. 893frustrated.gif

Below you will see a basic page layout.

This is how a comic was laid out to be printed.

The comic was printed on a single large sheet of paper like this one.

Keep in mind that the back side of the layout would have been printed as well.

I'm only going to use a single side to keep it simple.

Download the file here.

What you need to do to make it work.

1) Print it. I sized it to be able to fit onto an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet.

2) Trim out the layout by cutting it down on the black line on the outside edge. Cut to the outside edge only. You should now have a single large square with a bunch of lines and numbers on it.

3) Fold the layout on the dotted line. Be sure you fold it so the back (blank) side of the paper is touching each other and hidden on the inside. You should now have a page folded in half, with lines and numbers on both sides.

4) Follow the directions printed on the page as they are printed. You will fold on the lines indicated so the pages quoted are touching each other face to face.

5) After it's completely folded up, put a staple in the center of the "book" where indicated. The staple should go all the way through the center of all the pages.

6) Now with the book completely folded, so you can only see the number 1 on one side and the number 32 on the other, cut each of the three non stapled sides.

Once on the top of the book, once on the bottom, and once on the outside (face) of the book.

Now you can fan through the pages and each page number should be in the correct position with the top of all the pages correctly matching up with the top of the book.

Again note that pages 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 30, 31 will not be indicated in your book because they would have been on the *back* side of the printed sheet.

This is how comics were printed. The cover was printed on another sheet and the was put on the book before it was stapled and trimmed, but was the same basic principle.

I'm now open for questions from the class.

insane.gif893frustrated.gif

I have a question!!!!!!!!! What happened to pages 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 30, 31? ::ducking::

OK - serious question:

WIth a newspint book printing a few hundred thousand copies, and many books from each publisher being printed a month, I would have thought the comics would be done on a web rather than a sheet-fed press????

I have a question!!!!!!!!! What happened to pages 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 30, 31? ::ducking::

OK - serious question:

WIth a newspint book printing a few hundred thousand copies, and many books from each publisher being printed a month, I would have thought the comics would be done on a web rather than a sheet-fed press????

It was an old letter press.

It's a web press but the comics delivered into sheets like this one.

Hey Dice,

This thread wouldn't have anything to do with the CGC FORUM AWARDS ....would it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm just pissed that Hammer has two votes and I have none.

sorry.gif

OK - serious question:

It was an old letter press.

It's a web press but the comics delivered into sheets like this one.

What do you mean by "it was" - ok - I am really interested and hence am asking a lot of questions. Please don't take it as a challenge but as genuine inquiry. So what I mean by "it was" - you sound like you have familiarity with a specific press or comic book run. Did you? If so, what was it???

What do you mean by "it was" - ok - I am really interested and hence am asking a lot of questions. Please don't take it as a challenge but as genuine inquiry. So what I mean by "it was" - you sound like you have familiarity with a specific press or comic book run. Did you? If so, what was it???

"Was" means was.

I'm talking about how comics were printed in Sparta.

I can't remember the years, but it roughly the 50's through the 80's.

Coulda been a little earlier than that.

Most comics seem to be printed now in the Lasalle plant in Quebec.

I'm not sure what they print on since the move.

I'm sure I can get specifics on a press. Give me a day or two.

My gawd I had to hit the bar to just idle away the five MINUTES you needed to get this tutorial done. Now you are saying I have to idle away one or two DAYS? OMG - somone call a medic!

My gawd I had to hit the bar to just idle away the five MINUTES you needed to get this tutorial done. Now you are saying I have to idle away one or two DAYS? OMG - somone call a medic!

Well. I can call some people.

But it's a little late.

sleeping.gif

Well. I can call some people.

But it's a little late.

sleeping.gif

Nah ::hic:: ish ok, pal oh pal ol' buddy ol' pal. Jusht you relaxsh and let old Pov buy you a nishe libatshoin. ::hic::

Most comics seem to be printed now in the Lasalle plant in Quebec.

I'm not sure what they print on since the move.

Last I knew, they were printing most books in Riviere des Prairies (Lasalle and RDP are both in Montreal). I live in Lasalle, and a 5 minute walk from the Lasalle plant.

Maybe I'll go check the garbage bins for some real "Trashcan" editions! 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gif