• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List some NOT SO GREAT moments in modern comics.

55 posts in this topic

Realizing that DC and Marvel's continuity "experts" are so clueless that we will have yearly "Crises" and "Wars" from now to true Doomsday....and that they'll be rubber stamped because they make so much money.

Money-making scams that ruin the collecting experience. Varients, crossovers, etc.

The introduction of 4th generation artists. (There really aren't that many good comic artists out there. The majority of what I saw at WizardWorld made me cringe) Similar to painters, these are they guys that think they're so good that they can skip the "realistic" stage and go straight to stylistic. The truth is, they lack talent, so stylistic is all they can do. Unfortunately, like Pollock vs Picasso, there are people that don't get the difference, and we'll continue to see the "cancer" growth. And dumping of niche artists into mainstream, where they dont belong. I mean, I love Chaykin in American Flagg, but his latest Wolverine stuff just doesn't work.

Jemas' U-Decide battle with Peter David (and Marville in particular).

Marvel's Tsunami line.

There was some sort of series after the Heroes 911 tribute book, I forget what it was called (Badge of Honor? something like that..) it flopped pretty hard too.

Trouble (Millar 'romance' book about a young Aunt May).

Bone Claws Wolverine.

and I suspect the Spider-Marriage Annulment.

Shooter "leaving" Valiant.

I was completely heart broken when that happened. Valiant went down the tubes from there.

But it's not like Valiant was a real comic company :baiting:

Gen 13 with its 13 covers

- Chris Claremont returns to "save" the X-Men franchise

- Chuck Austen Uncanny X-Men

- Todd McFarlane "owns" Miracleman

- Second-tier cash-in superhero movies like Elektra, Punisher, Catwoman, etc.

- The recent Wildstorm relaunch

- The Authority after Millar left

- Huge delays in monthly books like Ultimates, Astonishing X-Men, All-Star Superman/Batman, Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk, anything drawn by Joe Quesada...

Fortunately, I really think there is a lot of great stuff going on in comics today as well!

-Bob

Chuck Austen X-men issues is definitely a stinker. He was tanking the series so fast.

Maybe this is for another thread, but let's really think about the Miracleman situation. Other than finally seeing the Gaiman issues, what good can possibly come from it? It will gain a lot of attention and TPBs will be issued. But I'm sure other creators will try to issue a new book and it will likely tank. I don't see Gaiman continuing past his ending run and Moore may be unlikely to return (or not for long before he gets angry). I'd hate to see such a classic ruined. Not to mention the potential devaluing of a steady Copper book. Just curious on people's thoughts.

Pat

Maybe this is for another thread, but let's really think about the Miracleman situation. Other than finally seeing the Gaiman issues, what good can possibly come from it? It will gain a lot of attention and TPBs will be issued. But I'm sure other creators will try to issue a new book and it will likely tank. I don't see Gaiman continuing past his ending run and Moore may be unlikely to return (or not for long before he gets angry). I'd hate to see such a classic ruined. Not to mention the potential devaluing of a steady Copper book. Just curious on people's thoughts.

Pat

I'd love to see the rights sorted out just so that we can get the conclusion of Gaiman's run. It'd be nice to get them reprinted in trade. I don't think it would hurt current value of the issues. Well, maybe some of the common issues, but you'd still get the premiums on 15, 16, 23, 24.