• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE MAIN overstreet issue

22 posts in this topic

Now, read slowly and ponder what I'm about to say...

In this years guide 9.2 is the highest grade and this is fine for pricing Silver on up, but for Atomic and Golden it's really stinks and here's why with a suggestion for improvement.

The thinking is that books above 9.2 are so rare that they defy being valued...or more precisely they are too volatile to value. They are "really" worth only what someone is willing to buy or sell them for. Which is true for all books, of course, but for most books we've got a pretty good idea of their fair market value, but not so with high grade golden age. Got it so far?

But...But...what if books don't even exist in 9.2 or if they do 9.2 is the best existing or best known. Which is the case for many golden age books. The guide and CGC label and census have not really come together on this point yet...here's an example

Case in point, CGC census reveals there is one copy of Phantom Lady 17 at 9.0, so what is that worth...nobody knows...or rather it is anybody's guess. Which is to say...the 9.0 price is only an educated guess because the book is so rare...so how did Overstreet Value it? They guessed. That's right, that's all they could do...of course they don't really have to do this on silver age...because they don't have to guess. But with high grade Golden Age they have to guess all the time.

Overstreet realizing this guess factor or perhaps the reality of some books not being suited for annual guide pricing...wisely or at least honestly stopped pricing at 9.4 up ...because that is where volatility should and does begin for silver age up. But in the Golden Age it puts a tremendous brake on value and falsely suggests almost every rare golden age can be accurately valued up to 9.2. It establishes volatility and multiples of guide on anything beyond 9.2 ...but this is not accurate for the Golden Age.

In fact the ultimate of any comic is not CGC 10.0...but the ULTIMATE is and must be, THE BEST KNOWN, OR FINEST EXISTING. In the Golden Age the best known copy is in many cases 9.0 or in many cases 8.0 or less.

Here's the SINGLE biggest thing that needs to be done in guide...price golden age only up to 8.0 or 8.5 or 9.0 ... I'd suggest 8.0 ... the reason being is that just as silver, bronze, copper age books are common up to 9.2 ... above that grade they are rare and price volatility kicks in and multiples of guide are in order. Presently, golden age books are being lumped in with that approach ... suggesting they can be accurately priced up to 9.2 and after that who knows ... this is a load of horse manure and a MISGUIDE ... yes, Overstreet is only a guide, but pricing Golden Age up to 9.2 when many of the books don't even exist in 9.2 ... is dis-service to all who use the book...

I Suggest Golden Age current 9.2 prices be applied to the 8.0, 8.5, or 9.0 ... grade ... and don't even price above that grade ... that calls attention to books above those grades as being worthy of grade multiples because any other price would merely be a guess anyway.

I think the actual census numbers suggest pricing Golden Age up to 8.0 as any books above that grade are ridiculously rare and should be going for multiples ... but a much more conservative approach would be to stop pricing golden age at 9.0 ... 8.5 is a tweener grade and I wouldn't use that as the cut off point for golden age, but hey that's just me ... ANYWAY

even if you don't collect golden age this matters ... and is far more needed than breaking out key covers ... though this is also a good idea ... but I digress

For those that think this is less information ... it's not it's more and it's more accurate. Any prices for golden age above 8.0 are guesses and subject to mis-information ... it would result in a firm price adjustment upward which reflects the market place anyway...take the 9.2 price and put it for next years 8.0 price and make it clear in the guide that books above that price are going to sell for multiples.

The market is realizing that 9.0 silver age is not worthy of guide multiples...but consider this the highest graded copy of Phantom Lady 17 is 9.0 ... it's the finest known...current guide suggests this book in grade would not sell for multiples until it was above 9.2 ... horse pucky ... this book will sell for multiples of guide in grade above 8.0

Further, before you says this is a moot point because a lot of collectors don't want golden age...there is not the demand...this is one of the reasons I used PL 17 as an example...there aren't many collectors anywhere that wouldn't be happy to own one...the demand is there and the fact that Overstreet guesses at a 9.0 price and a 9.2 is silly. Seriously, what do you think the 9.0 copy should sell for? After all your guess is as good as Overstreet's....

Put another way...would you sell a best known Golden Age at what guide says...because the volatility doesn't kick in until 9.4. Or would you know to treat a 9.0 Phantom Lady as though it were a 9.4 or higher book? Us all being comic nuts would of course, but the guide should help us and support reality if not define it....but pricing on golden age above 8.0 is for the most part guessing only and complete mis-information...not a GUIDE, but a MISguide.

Would you sell your PL17 in 9.0 for what Guide says or even close to it?...or would you treat it as though it were a 9.4 or higher Silver Age book. Of course you would...the price could be in the stratosphere. This applies to all mainline key Golden Age. Overstreet should not price above highest known...or should note...that the prices are "GUESSES"...which it does not in a broad way for the whole book...it is only a guide....but it is a poor guide when it implies above 9.2 is difficult to price and while this is true for silver age it is IS NOT SO FOR GOLDEN AGE....

I'm all for calling attention to the reality that books above a certain grade are extremely valuable and volatile in price...I'm against pricing golden age up to the same point as silver age. Why? Because 8.0 is nosebleed high on a golden age book...not 9.4.....and above that grade...many books don't even exist...and if they do...you better treat it like a 9.4 silver age when it comes to pricing...although the "bible" of the industry, doesn't provide that guidance...and in so doing disrespects the entire GOLDEN AGE. Hopefully, this post is of interest to all comic nuts and not just the golden agers.

Overstreet should guide people with great dilligence to know that there is nothing "ONLY" about an 8.5 Golden Age...that is as mind blowing as a 9.4 Silver AGE. The hobby will learn this eventually, the census will bear it out...and the GUIDE should lead the way to this realization....

Last thought ... Overstreet should state we price golden age books up to 8.0 because after this grade the sells are so rare and the prices so volatile all we can say is expect to pay multiples of the 8.0 price. This actually reduces information in the guide, but makes the guide more clear and honest... as it will price golden age for the vast majority of collectors ... and intentionally not price books graded above 8.0 because it can't be done consistantly nor should it be tried

PS unless they take the NOSTOMANIA approach and do the legwork on actual sales ... but that's another story.

Now, read slowly and ponder what I'm about to say...

In this years guide 9.2 is the highest grade and this is fine for pricing Silver on up, but for Atomic and Golden it's really stinks and here's why with a suggestion for improvement.

The thinking is that books above 9.2 are so rare that they defy being valued...or more precisely they are too volatile to value. They are "really" worth only what someone is willing to buy or sell them for. Which is true for all books, of course, but for most books we've got a pretty good idea of their fair market value, but not so with high grade golden age. Got it so far?

But...But...what if books don't even exist in 9.2 or if they do 9.2 is the best existing or best known. Which is the case for many golden age books. The guide and CGC label and census have not really come together on this point yet...here's an example

Case in point, CGC census reveals there is one copy of Phantom Lady 17 at 9.0, so what is that worth...nobody knows...or rather it is anybody's guess. Which is to say...the 9.0 price is only an educated guess because the book is so rare...so how did Overstreet Value it? They guessed. That's right, that's all they could do...of course they don't really have to do this on silver age...because they don't have to guess. But with high grade Golden Age they have to guess all the time.

Overstreet realizing this guess factor or perhaps the reality of some books not being suited for annual guide pricing...wisely or at least honestly stopped pricing at 9.4 up ...because that is where volatility should and does begin for silver age up. But in the Golden Age it puts a tremendous brake on value and falsely suggests almost every rare golden age can be accurately valued up to 9.2. It establishes volatility and multiples of guide on anything beyond 9.2 ...but this is not accurate for the Golden Age.

In fact the ultimate of any comic is not CGC 10.0...but the ULTIMATE is and must be, THE BEST KNOWN, OR FINEST EXISTING. In the Golden Age the best known copy is in many cases 9.0 or in many cases 8.0 or less.

Here's the SINGLE biggest thing that needs to be done in guide...price golden age only up to 8.0 or 8.5 or 9.0 ... I'd suggest 8.0 ... the reason being is that just as silver, bronze, copper age books are common up to 9.2 ... above that grade they are rare and price volatility kicks in and multiples of guide are in order. Presently, golden age books are being lumped in with that approach ... suggesting they can be accurately priced up to 9.2 and after that who knows ... this is a load of horse manure and a MISGUIDE ... yes, Overstreet is only a guide, but pricing Golden Age up to 9.2 when many of the books don't even exist in 9.2 ... is dis-service to all who use the book...

I Suggest Golden Age current 9.2 prices be applied to the 8.0, 8.5, or 9.0 ... grade ... and don't even price above that grade ... that calls attention to books above those grades as being worthy of grade multiples because any other price would merely be a guess anyway.

I think the actual census numbers suggest pricing Golden Age up to 8.0 as any books above that grade are ridiculously rare and should be going for multiples ... but a much more conservative approach would be to stop pricing golden age at 9.0 ... 8.5 is a tweener grade and I wouldn't use that as the cut off point for golden age, but hey that's just me ... ANYWAY

even if you don't collect golden age this matters ... and is far more needed than breaking out key covers ... though this is also a good idea ... but I digress

For those that think this is less information ... it's not it's more and it's more accurate. Any prices for golden age above 8.0 are guesses and subject to mis-information ... it would result in a firm price adjustment upward which reflects the market place anyway...take the 9.2 price and put it for next years 8.0 price and make it clear in the guide that books above that price are going to sell for multiples.

The market is realizing that 9.0 silver age is not worthy of guide multiples...but consider this the highest graded copy of Phantom Lady 17 is 9.0 ... it's the finest known...current guide suggests this book in grade would not sell for multiples until it was above 9.2 ... horse pucky ... this book will sell for multiples of guide in grade above 8.0

Further, before you says this is a moot point because a lot of collectors don't want golden age...there is not the demand...this is one of the reasons I used PL 17 as an example...there aren't many collectors anywhere that wouldn't be happy to own one...the demand is there and the fact that Overstreet guesses at a 9.0 price and a 9.2 is silly. Seriously, what do you think the 9.0 copy should sell for? After all your guess is as good as Overstreet's....

Put another way...would you sell a best known Golden Age at what guide says...because the volatility doesn't kick in until 9.4. Or would you know to treat a 9.0 Phantom Lady as though it were a 9.4 or higher book? Us all being comic nuts would of course, but the guide should help us and support reality if not define it....but pricing on golden age above 8.0 is for the most part guessing only and complete mis-information...not a GUIDE, but a MISguide.

Would you sell your PL17 in 9.0 for what Guide says or even close to it?...or would you treat it as though it were a 9.4 or higher Silver Age book. Of course you would...the price could be in the stratosphere. This applies to all mainline key Golden Age. Overstreet should not price above highest known...or should note...that the prices are "GUESSES"...which it does not in a broad way for the whole book...it is only a guide....but it is a poor guide when it implies above 9.2 is difficult to price and while this is true for silver age it is IS NOT SO FOR GOLDEN AGE....

I'm all for calling attention to the reality that books above a certain grade are extremely valuable and volatile in price...I'm against pricing golden age up to the same point as silver age. Why? Because 8.0 is nosebleed high on a golden age book...not 9.4.....and above that grade...many books don't even exist...and if they do...you better treat it like a 9.4 silver age when it comes to pricing...although the "bible" of the industry, doesn't provide that guidance...and in so doing disrespects the entire GOLDEN AGE. Hopefully, this post is of interest to all comic nuts and not just the golden agers.

Overstreet should guide people with great dilligence to know that there is nothing "ONLY" about an 8.5 Golden Age...that is as mind blowing as a 9.4 Silver AGE. The hobby will learn this eventually, the census will bear it out...and the GUIDE should lead the way to this realization....

Last thought ... Overstreet should state we price golden age books up to 8.0 because after this grade the sells are so rare and the prices so volatile all we can say is expect to pay multiples of the 8.0 price. This actually reduces information in the guide, but makes the guide more clear and honest... as it will price golden age for the vast majority of collectors ... and intentionally not price books graded above 8.0 because it can't be done consistantly nor should it be tried

PS unless they take the NOSTOMANIA approach and do the legwork on actual sales ... but that's another story.

hm Well, THAT's food for thought. Interesting if not persuasive perspective

too much reading....what's the synopsis?

Golden Age comics should be priced up to 8.0 on the high-end due to scarcity of high grade. For Silver Age 9.2 is fine.

Some books in the Golden Age are already accorded this in the Price Guide!!!! An example is Mickey Mouse magazine. For the first 16 issues the price guide does not go above VF (8.0) . The 9.0 and 9.2 spots are blank simply because these issues are known to be extremely scarce above 8.0.

Overstreet does list a few others in likewise fashion.

You are just saying they should expand this to include more titles. I suppose if the evidence bears that out, then I would have no problem with that. But going just by the CGC census to me is not an accurate enough gauge.

While you are summing me up ... don't leave this out. Overstreet doesn't claim for perfect accuracy...it is only a GUIDE. But ... at present it is not even a guide on much golden age pricing it is a MIS-GUIDE ... and those doing the work should take note that when GPA analysis ... Heritage and Comiclink et al sell results ... and NOSTOMANIA pricing are at least more in the ball park than they are ... it's time to wake up.

Overstreet guide ... NO ... in far to many instances ... MIS-guide ... Cap 46, Phantom Lady 17, Human Torch 12 ... heck why bother naming issues ... whole runs ... Black Terror ... no wait entire publishing houses ... Nedor ... no wait ...

as for to much reading ... heck I wish more people posted like me ... I'm starved for good comic commentary and dialogue ... I may be wrong in my comments in the view of some ... but I wrote like I wish others wrote in this day of sound bites.

I loved the simplicity of comics ... but as a kid after I read the talk boxes...I'd go back and re-read my comics carefully reading the narrative boxes ... and then the letters to the editor ... and sometimes I even read the advertisements for bigger muscles, x-ray vision, and 900 piece fishing kits ...

but I know I said to much for those that just like looking at the pictures ... so to mea culpa and I blush in humble embarrassment :blush:

my only qualm, is basing so much on the census. I personally know two collectors who have been buying books since the 70's. Both have JAW DROPPING collections of high grade books. Both HATE CGC. If I know 2 people who have books that would make anyone on the boards , how many others are out there? I mean like 9.4 Schomburg airbrush covers (including the robot one), Phantom ladies, GA DC, Timely, pre code horror, you name it. So many collectors who have been at the game that long are repelled by the thought of CGC, so their copies are not being counted. I really do see your point, I just don't know if there is an easy solution.

my only qualm, is basing so much on the census. I personally know two collectors who have been buying books since the 70's. Both have JAW DROPPING collections of high grade books. Both HATE CGC. If I know 2 people who have books that would make anyone on the boards , how many others are out there? I mean like 9.4 Schomburg airbrush covers (including the robot one), Phantom ladies, GA DC, Timely, pre code horror, you name it. So many collectors who have been at the game that long are repelled by the thought of CGC, so their copies are not being counted. I really do see your point, I just don't know if there is an easy solution.

This is actually a great example. I personally examined an Action #1 that I believe to be at least a 9.6 or better in todays standards. There was not a flaw anywhere on this book that I could see and the father of my friend (who owned the book) had it sealed up in 2 inch thick glass that was screwed together to protect it. Thing is... it probably won't ever come to market as it has already been passed down to one family member and there is a son waiting for it to be passed to him.

This was before the internet mind you but I still feel that it will be a long time before that book comes to market if ever.

This is actually a great example. I personally examined an Action #1 that I believe to be at least a 9.6 or better in todays standards. There was not a flaw anywhere on this book that I could see and the father of my friend (who owned the book) had it sealed up in 2 inch thick glass that was screwed together to protect it. Thing is... it probably won't ever come to market as it has already been passed down to one family member and there is a son waiting for it to be passed to him.

This was before the internet mind you but I still feel that it will be a long time before that book comes to market if ever.

Action #1 in 9.6. :o

Surely you jest!!! :D

I don't know of anyone who has seen an Action #1 even close to a 9.6.

If that's true, I know for a fact they could sell that book for a MILLION PLUS in the blink of an eye!!! Hell if they want to sell, let me be the broker!!! I'll only charge 10%. :banana:

the guide is useless and no longer reflects reality given ebay/cgc/etc. Carry on.

I think (at least to some extent) that's true. The first poster is saying "it's broke, let's fix it," while many others are saying "it's broke, let's ignore it."

I'm not convinced there is a way to accurately price comics in an annual Guide anymore. CGC and the internet have changed so much of the way comics are sold that prices can change dramatically in weeks.

In my very small niche of the GA market, I don't see that there is the volatility in GA prices above 9.0 that there is in the SA market. And I do think that there are multiple copies of most GA books in 9.0 and above, it's just that they haven't been slabbed.

If that's true, I know for a fact they could sell that book for a MILLION PLUS in the blink of an eye!!! Hell if they want to sell, let me be the broker!!! I'll only charge 10%. :banana:

No seriously... it was one of those typical high school situations where a younger friend of mine was trying to impress me because he knew I was interested in comics and secretly without his fathers knowledge showed me this Action #1 entombed in what looked like bulletproof glass that was altogether about 4 inches thick. He told me that it had originally belonged to his grandfather and I'm telling you, it was as if the thing was a piece of art made and sold in the form I was holding it... it was PERFECT!

Many Golden Age books can be found in 9,2 or better. The exceptions are books from the 30's, many of which cannot be found in better than 8.0. Overstreet already recognizes some, but not all, of these by listing 8.0 as the top grade.

Many 9.2 GA books sell for close to Overstreet 9.2 prices. Some even sell for less. It is the highly sought after and/or rare books that always sell for over Guide, but they typically sell for over Guide in any grade.

Therefore, making 8.0 the top grade for all GA would not improve the Guide. Rather, the Guide needs to reduce the top grade on more of the older books and increase prices on high demand books that are underpriced (like PL #17).

Many Golden Age books can be found in 9,2 or better. The exceptions are books from the 30's, many of which cannot be found in better than 8.0. Overstreet already recognizes some, but not all, of these by listing 8.0 as the top grade.

Many 9.2 GA books sell for close to Overstreet 9.2 prices. Some even sell for less. It is the highly sought after and/or rare books that always sell for over Guide, but they typically sell for over Guide in any grade.

Therefore, making 8.0 the top grade for all GA would not improve the Guide. Rather, the Guide needs to reduce the top grade on more of the older books and increase prices on high demand books that are underpriced (like PL #17).

(thumbs u

the Guide today is best used as a gauge only against previous Guides. And, that its prices reflect 37 years of annual tweaking to reflect the general market increases. And to give SOME pricing to EVERY book published all in one place. Its never been an accurate price list. BUT, has been so influential that all books are priced and marketing with the Guide price in mind, either multiples higher, or sold as a bargain "compared to Guide.", as if "on sale."

With so much info available to us today for REAL prices paid in plain sight, unfortunately the Annual Guide's influence is at a low ebb. Still a valuable tool to dealers and collectors. But, its price changes are only taken into consideration by dealers on a case by case basis. If it went up and dealers think can raise their prices and sell them great. But if they know they cant, they ignore it. If Guide doubles but dealers see same book sell on Heritage/Comiclink/shows/Ebay for triple? WHat price do you think their copy gets stickered at?

Is there a solution to the Guide's relavance crisis? Dont know. Its almost good enough to just keep soldiering on as long as possible. Unless they commit to a total, real-time overhaul, the Guide will continue to be an interesting annual one week newsmaker.

No seriously... it was one of those typical high school situations where a younger friend of mine was trying to impress me because he knew I was interested in comics and secretly without his fathers knowledge showed me this Action #1 entombed in what looked like bulletproof glass that was altogether about 4 inches thick. He told me that it had originally belonged to his grandfather and I'm telling you, it was as if the thing was a piece of art made and sold in the form I was holding it... it was PERFECT!

hey, what year was that??

Some of you seem to think my comments are precipitated on the idea that golden age books do not exist above 8.0 ... and that is not my point at all. My point is IF they exist...the market is so thin that no meaningful sales regularly occur OR when they do ... the sell consitently above guide ... PERIOD. To have a dealer ... such a Metropolis or auctioneer such as Heritage routinely realizing above guide pricing on golden age above 8.0 ... tells me the market is well informed as to the fact that pricing above 8.0 in Overstreet is a Mis - Guide ...

Nobody is suggesting silver age books do not exist above 9.2 ... but the guide is suggesting as it should that above that grade (9.2) silver age books become very difficult to price accurately ... as the market becomes very volatile.

The same is true for Golden Age ... above 8.0 ... the books exist, but they become very difficult to price as the market becomes very volatile...

One more point ... bronze books to present should be priced up to 9.4 ... for the same reasoning. This is Overstreet reasoning by the way ... when the guide moved to 9.2 it established a system that used the Silver Age as a base ... and yet it

Misguides ... MISS guides ... going forward or back from the silver age ...

The guide becomes much more relevant to price

Pre silver age up to 8.0

Silver age to 9.2 and

Post silver age to 9.4

The current golden age (pre-silver age) pricing for golden age 9.2 becomes the 8.0 price this is very effective, and not very labor intensive ...

Silver age pricing does not change other than the usual Overstreet annual percent bump in price.

The current post silver age pricing for 9.2 moves up to 9.4 this year ... plus tack on the usual Overstreet percent bump ... in effect 9.2 goes down in price in guide, but now there is a 9.4 at a higher price than the current 9.2 ... and 9.6 and above are identified as volatile and multiples of price guide.

This would not definitively price books, but would establish Overstreet as an extremely good GUIDE ... and as for definitive real time sells ... well that's up to the market ... but Overstreet is relevant and helpful ... it clearly calls attention to the uniqueness of comic ages ... in the eyes of the veteran collector and the new collector ... ESPECIALLY the new collector ...

I could go on ... but maybe now you get it ... why stop pricing at 9.2 not because books don't exist ... I never said golden age doesn't exist in high grade ... but I'm saying the pricing becomes very dynamic above 8.0

This is true for silver age above 9.2

and post silver above 9.4

Thanks for listening ... if Overstreet would listen it would make a better book ... and by the way it would help re-ignite or further fuel the golden age and establish in writing the reality of pre-silver age books being multi-guide price as they are already doing now anyway ... :cool:

(thumbs u

Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. I'm pretty sure I've got 4 or 5 9.4 PL 17's in my attic. Let me try and dig them out....