• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade My X-Men #1, and a Restoration Question

6 posts in this topic

This is my X-Men #1 that I have had in my collection for ~10 years now.

I've been mulling over the grade for years...I figure a solid G/VG. There are no hidden defects and the book is very tight (I have read the book a few times smirk.gif). Even with the water damage on the bottom left, the staple is not rusty. Good gloss on the book. Pages ate OW but supple. What do you think?

...and of course, the tape on the back is actually on the mylite grin.gif

Question #2: I am considering having some light restoration done on this book. I never intend to sell it, and doing it would be for my pleasure only. What would it cost to do some light cleaning, color touch, chip repair, etc? I do mean light...

UXM1FC.jpg

UXM1BC.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input!

Does it already have some color touch at the bottom of the spine? Looks like a little ball point pen action. Anyhow, it seems like the book would look a lot better if it was pressed out, but I have no idea of the cost. You could probably send the scan to Matt Nelson and inquire directly about rates by visiting his website (click here.)

This is my X-Men #1 that I have had in my collection for ~10 years now.

I've been mulling over the grade for years...I figure a solid G/VG. There are no hidden defects and the book is very tight (I have read the book a few times smirk.gif). Even with the water damage on the bottom left, the staple is not rusty. Good gloss on the book. Pages ate OW but supple. What do you think?

...and of course, the tape on the back is actually on the mylite grin.gif

Question #2: I am considering having some light restoration done on this book. I never intend to sell it, and doing it would be for my pleasure only. What would it cost to do some light cleaning, color touch, chip repair, etc? I do mean light...

Thanks in advance for your input!

I think you may be a bit optimistic on the grade there - I doubt it would pull anything higher then a 1.0/1.5. I also would have to really scrutinize the chances of color touch up - that type of bleed is very rare from water damage alone. With that in mind, it is really not worth restoring at all. Any comic worth less then $500 is a waste of money to restore ( it is not unreasonable to expect that comic to sell for about $350.) Even with light restoration - clean and press, some structual repair, stain removal , expect a bill of about $250. More extensive restoration - chip repairs, color touch ( plus what I mentioned above) you can expect a bill of up to $500. You are better off putting the restoration money towards the purchase of a better condition issue . Well, that is my two cents worth.

Tom

I think you may be a bit optimistic on the grade there - I doubt it would pull anything higher then a 1.0/1.5. I also would have to really scrutinize the chances of color touch up - that type of bleed is very rare from water damage alone. With that in mind, it is really not worth restoring at all. Any comic worth less then $500 is a waste of money to restore ( it is not unreasonable to expect that comic to sell for about $350.) Even with light restoration - clean and press, some structual repair, stain removal , expect a bill of about $250. More extensive restoration - chip repairs, color touch ( plus what I mentioned above) you can expect a bill of up to $500. You are better off putting the restoration money towards the purchase of a better condition issue . Well, that is my two cents worth.

Tom

what he said thumbsup2.gif