• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Second Chance bidder scam

13 posts in this topic

Got this email today:

scam.jpg

It was good enough that I thought I would bring attention to it. This is a scammers email. Notice the "from" address is "ebayl.com". But, this could easily be spoofed as well to be "ebay.com", this guy was just lazy.

More red flags: Auction is not even over yet. Feedback is wrong. And, the email for the board member (the seller) is wrong.

Why this guy would be targeting bidders of a relatively low cost auction, I have no idea. I think they must just have a map of eBay names to email, and when somone on the map bids in a listing for more than a certian amount, these fake emails get generated.

Be safe, and always check eBay "My Messages" before acting.

Yeah, I just checked my email and sure enough I have another fake second chance offer in there. I literally get atleast one of these a day anymore. Funny thing about this one is, it's the second one I've recieved for the same item/auction. (also wrong email address for real seller)

eBay sent this message to scheradon (scheradon@scammerscangofistthemselves.com).

Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay.

Second Chance Offer

eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address. This message has been sent through the eBay Mail System.

Second Chance Offer

Item: GIANT-SIZE SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP #1 CGC 9.8(280176106621 )

This message was sent after the listing closed.

Good news! The following eBay item on which you placed a bid for US $142.00 is now available for purchase:

To respond to this offer please reply to the seller at this email address: selling.stuff.1975@msn.com

GIANT-SIZE SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP #1 CGC 9.8 (280176106621 )

Your Price: US $142.00

Offer end date: 5 business days

Second Chance Offer

The seller is making this Second Chance Offer because the high bidder was either unable to complete the transaction or the seller has a duplicate item for sale.

The winner of this item got rejected due to security reasons (either he failed to follow through on the purchase commitment or refused to do so).

Your last auctioned bid is taken into consideration as eBay policy automatically proclaims you to be the winner by default.

The selling of this item through Second Chance Offer is in compliance with eBay policy; you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for all eBay services associated with a transaction.

Take advantage of this opportunity, please act quickly !

Act Now - This Offer Expires Soon

To take advantage of this opportunity, please act quickly. This offer expires in 5 days.

You may purchase this item by contacting the seller in this email selling.stuff.1975@msn.com

Thank you for using eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/

See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have questions about eBay's communication policies.

Copyright © 2007 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc.

eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

That's my auction!

My name but not my feedback, and I'm not a power seller.

It isn't even over yet so I couldn't send a second chance offer.

:censored:

I bet because it's at $199.99 the scrambled ID bidder thing isn't protecting anyone yet.

Good work on the heads up. I use pop3 so i can check the message source more thoroughly. If you regularly get email from ebay then you should be able to check it against the originating IP.You can also see if it has been forwarded. it should look something like this. Best thing is to check one you know is legit against one you think might be a fake, and remember nothing is 100% except death.

Received: from mxpool01.ebay.com ([66.135.197.18])

by you internet provider

id Kdhb5Y00z0QJ1yS00000; Sun, 02 Dec 2005 01:41:35

Received: from sr-wsyi025 (sr-wsyi025.smf.ebay.com [10.10.60.35])

by mxpool01.ebay.com (8.13.5/8.13.5) with ESMTP id lB21fUSO0R16997

for Sun, 02 Dec 2005 01:41:30

DomainKey-Signature: a=rca-sha1; s=dkjm28; d=ebay.com; c=nofws; q=dms;

h=message-id:from:reply-to:to:subject:mime-version:

content-type:x-ebay-mailtracker:x-ebay-mailversiontracker;

b=SpgmekwLRB4U0hUPKWmU6cLqxZSqk7l6ama/DgAST6RL

Mime-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=1349986204.1146559691028.JavaMail.SYSTEM.sr-wsyi025

X-eBay-MailTracker: 12000.539.0.32739

X-eBay-MailVersionTracker: 539.5716365

But this might not work if what I think scheradon is talking about is true.

Obviously that scam is still going. I had the same type of e-mail about a year ago.

I rarely look at any e-mail from "E-Bay" to my home account. I log into E-bay itself and go to the my account page a see what messages I have. Any important messages/mail is there, and since it is internal to E-bay it is supposed to be more secure.

This helps, but I still "trust but verify"

Deuce