• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM TOS #39

42 posts in this topic

I just stared at this book for ten minutes in disbelief. How can you possibly post this scan without telling us anything? I can see you now, leaning back in your Lazyboy, cigar in your mouth with your hands behind your head thinking, "Let them chew on that for a while, mwa ha haaaa!"

lol:signfunny:

9.6 if it's real. Could be a PLOD/trimmed. (shrug)

I have some other shots of the book that I will upload when I get home tonight that I would like you all to see.

This book honestly looks nicer in person than in the pictures.

The purpose of this post isn't to determine value, just to get a grading scale.

More to come.

"Let them chew on that for a while, mwa ha haaaa!"

I may add that to my signature lol

If it's real, which I hope it is....it's a beauty.....I said 9.2+.....and realistically, I don't see flaws. so the +++ can just keep on going. You can't tell if there are any indentions in the cover, minor finger bends that lay flat on a scanner, or if there are interior flaws...but it's definately a beauty.

Then again, I believe it was Fedora who was asking about what the inside front and inside back cover ads were in TOS #39 .... wasn't it? ;):shy:

Like everyone else, i just stared at this for quite a while. the blues are bluer than any copy i've ever seen and the edges and corners appear almost perfect. in fact, i've never really liked this cover and am thinking about changing my mind.. :o

i'd have to guess at the 9.4 grade as i can't really find anything wrong with it.

here's hoping it's "real" and you get a super grade................... :wishluck:

but if this is some kind of trick your azz is grazz.......... :kidaround:

Has anyone here seen this copy when it was on the newstands? Was the blue actually that...well..blue? Does not look real to me...but I could be wrong.

R.

Is it a reproduction cover on a coverless copy?

*DING*DING*DING*

We have a winner, but Rommin's post pretty much gave it away. Yep, inspired by Matt Nelson's excellent work on my Spidey #1 - I decided I would give my coverless TOS a try on my own since the staples were tight and the pages in great shape. When I received the comic it looked like this:

TOS39.jpg

I searched and searched for a good copy online to make my recreation from and I finally found an excellent one that had nearly all the complete quote marks on the right side of the book. From there I digitally cleaned it up made my own copy for my own personal collection. Here are some shots of the interior:

TOS39003.jpg

TOS39004.jpg

TOS39005.jpg

Admittedly, the interior of the cover could be aged or "yellowed' a bit more to make it look more authentic, but I am not trying to pass it off as a forgery or anything - I just wanted a TOS #39 that looked NM but I wasn't afraid to actually open up the mylar and read it.

I am quite happy with the results:

TOS39FC-1.jpg

TOS39BC-2.jpg

Sorry if I made anybody mad but I wanted your honest opinions before I gave away the whole story :foryou:

My post below was just a moment too late ... so I added this in edit to not look foolish :)

Here's a link to a 5.0 CGC graded copy for sale on a site called Comic Island.

Didn't post the image just to avoid any confusion. Alt-Tab between the two and there's at least one glaring difference I can spot ... check the bottom panel where stark's grabbing the iron gloves and not the blue on this copy and non on the graded one.

You can also take a look at the top of the CGC graded copy and the one posted in this thread and the "IND" and comic code stamp and there is obviously much less on the copy in this thread.

I'm certainly no expert, but those two differences certainly raise my eyebrows.

True - the copy that Gary has on his site (Comic Island) has more cover at the top, the book that I copied from had more at the bottom showing the leg and underside of the table.

His copy also had a slight misfold on the left side and only a single quote mark.

I have bought a couple of books from Gary - he is a class act and easy to deal with.

Cool ... did you add the blue, was that part of a restored copy? Just curious as you did tremendous work here and I may try it with a stray coverless silver book just to see if I could do it.

Great work and it must be great to pull that out of your collection!

The copy I found looked pretty much like the one I reproduced - the colors are more vibrant on my copy as I digitally cleaned them up and leveled out the whites to match.

I am also nearly finished with my reproductions for my Ditko Spidey run (1 - 38)

Other than the slabs - all of these have complete orignal interiors with covers recreated by me inside and out.

Compiled001.jpg

It has been alot of fun!

Is it a reproduction cover on a coverless copy?

*DING*DING*DING*

We have a winner, but Rommin's post pretty much gave it away. Yep, inspired by Matt Nelson's excellent work on my Spidey #1 - I decided I would give my coverless TOS a try on my own since the staples were tight and the pages in great shape.

:sorry:

But it turned out awesome!!