• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Feel The Church Books Being Stored in Stacks

597 posts in this topic

How do you know they don't care? Have you asked them?

As hard as it may be to believe, yes, I actually talk to my customers. And there are folks out there that are aware of pressing and actually don't care! :o

I'm sure that is true. If I know a book is pressed and it is priced fairly, I don't care either. I still buy it, but informed.

And to Dan and Jeff's points. Where does the duty and responsibility shift from the buyer to the seller?

Case in point, newbish collector at show has to carry his list of questions now to ask dealers about books he is interested in.

He can't just ask "is it restored"? and get the whole truth, right? Those who don't accept that pressing is resto can answer that question "No" with a clear conscience if that is all that has been done to the book.

So now, the poor buyer has to be VERY SPECIFIC:

1. Is it restored?

2. Does it have any work done to it?

3. Has it been trimmed? (Remember some of you don't think trimming is resto, so it can't be covered in question #1)

4. Does it have any color touch?

5. Any materials added?

6. Chemicals used?

7. Pieces added?

8. Has it been disassembled?

9. Do you know of anything at all that has been done to the book that changed the grade?

That's a heavy burden for them to bear.

Richard,

Back when I used to have my dealer table next to yours, in the pre-intact pressing days, we didn't get asked about pressing much. But we did, get asked the first two questions a LOT, and having been at your booth in Chicago the last few years, you still do.

So, people do ask. Quite often, it is slicing and dicing what fits those two categories and what doesn't that is the rub.

Just ask "Has there been ANY work done to the book - ANYTHING at all."

Maybe I could wear a t-shirt that states my question for me. That way I can just point to it....and say nothing at all.

As hard as it may be to believe, yes, I actually talk to my customers. And there are folks out there that are aware of pressing and actually don't care! :o

I'm sure that is true. If I know a book is pressed and it is priced fairly, I don't care either. I still buy it, but informed.

And to Dan and Jeff's points. Where does the duty and responsibility shift from the buyer to the seller?

Case in point, newbish collector at show has to carry his list of questions now to ask dealers about books he is interested in.

He can't just ask "is it restored"? and get the whole truth, right? Those who don't accept that pressing is resto can answer that question "No" with a clear conscience if that is all that has been done to the book.

1. Is it restored?

3. Has it been trimmed? (Remember some of you don't think trimming is resto, so it can't be covered in question #1)

5. Any materials added?

6. Chemicals used?

7. Pieces added?

9. Do you know of anything at all that has been done to the book that changed the grade?

Richard,

Back when I used to have my dealer table next to yours, in the pre-intact pressing days, we didn't get asked about pressing much. But we did, get asked the first two questions a LOT, and having been at your booth in Chicago the last few years, you still do.

So, people do ask. Quite often, it is slicing and dicing what fits those two categories and what doesn't that is the rub.

Maybe I could wear a t-shirt that states my question for me. That way I can just point to it....and say nothing at all.

:signfunny:Kinda like . . . "I'm with Stupid >>>" lol

Richard, I have witnessed you first hand talking to your customers, nor did I insinuate otherwise, so I am not sure the natural sarcasm helps you prove your point here, Of course there are people aware of pressing and don't actually care. That's big news? You don't think I already know that from the boards? But, again, that doesn't respond to my post. But that's fine. Sometimes not responding to questions provides a greater answer!

BTW, I also noticed you didn't respond to my question about you conducting a survey at the next major show.

Would you be willing to participate in a study at the next major con you have a booth at? Every time someone buys a book from you the question is asked of them as to whether (1) they are aware of pressing and whether they believe it is restoration or not, and (2) if so, whether they care if a book they purchased has been pressed but that fact has not been disclosed.

I would happily assist you in drafting the document. Actually it would be a good business move as I would envision it would include name, address, telephone number and e-mail addresses. Great to help you with your database! (thumbs u

What have you got to lose? :popcorn:

I would imagine that a survey of this kind would be much more appropriate at the booth of a NOD sponsored or associated member/dealer. It sounds like a great idea and there are plenty of NOD dealers to choose from!

1. Is it restored?

5. Any materials added?

6. Chemicals used?

7. Pieces added?

Richard,

But the hairsplitters will then say "That depends on what you mean by work"

I would imagine that a survey of this kind would be much more appropriate at the booth of a NOD sponsored or associated member/dealer. It sounds like a great idea and there are plenty of NOD dealers to choose from!

I agree completely that this is an appropriate exercise for the NOD. Indeed, it is likely something NOD will do along with a whole host of other survey questions about educating the community, or determining where the level of education exists on numerous issues. Pressing would just be one of many topics.

I presume your answer then is "no"?

See, now that I really don't understand. (shrug)

I certainly wouldn't be all that thrilled with the idea of filling out a survey at a convention. Heck, in San Diego, seems like I spend half my time avoiding the dude that sells insurance for comics. That guy will stick his literature into your face 5 minutes after her already gave it to you.

1. Is it restored?

5. Any materials added?

6. Chemicals used?

7. Pieces added?

Richard,

I think the only procedure that falls outside of the traditional accepted definition of resto, or "work done", in the comics community is pressing. So, as I suggested earlier, I think asking "if any work has been done to the book, including pressing" would cover all the bases.

1. Is it restored?

5. Any materials added?

6. Chemicals used?

7. Pieces added?

Richard,

I think the only procedure that falls outside of the traditional accepted definition of resto, or "work done", in the comics community is pressing. So, as I suggested earlier, I think asking "if any work has been done to the book, including pressing" would cover all the bases.

I know Jeff, I am just behaving like some of the others who split hairs on everything about pressing.

But, since you mentioned it, how is pressing accomplished if "work" is not done on the book?

If "work" is an accepted industry term for "restoration" then wouldn't "work" meaning pressing also = "restoration"?

1. Is it restored?

5. Any materials added?

6. Chemicals used?

7. Pieces added?

Richard,

I know Jeff, I am just behaving like some of the others who split hairs on everything about pressing.

But, since you mentioned it, how is pressing accomplished if "work" is not done on the book?

If "work" is an accepted industry term for "restoration" then wouldn't "work" meaning pressing also = "restoration"?

This is just semantics, but what the hell. "Work" in this context is defined as resto, not as any procedure foisted upon the book. So pressing is not included in "work".

I certainly wouldn't be all that thrilled with the idea of filling out a survey at a convention. Heck, in San Diego, seems like I spend half my time avoiding the dude that sells insurance for comics. That guy will stick his literature into your face 5 minutes after her already gave it to you.

Then you should just do what I do and sign up and then he leaves you alone.