• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Feel The Church Books Being Stored in Stacks

597 posts in this topic

A signature book adds value to the book for some collectors. It's done totally in the open. The customer knows exactly what they're getting. There's nothing deceptive about it.

When they start putting pressed books in slabs with special colored labels then I would buy your opinion. In most cases, the person buying a pressed book has no idea what they're buying.

A signature book adds value to the book for some collectors. It's done totally in the open. The customer knows exactly what they're getting. There's nothing deceptive about it.

When they start putting pressed books in slabs with special colored labels then I would buy your opinion. In most cases, the person buying a pressed book has no idea what they're buying.

You missed this part:

when comparing the two assuming that the pressing is disclosed at the time of the sale.
:)

You said it yourself, I left NOD because of a personality conflict. It was not because I have any problem whatsoever with disclosure. I practice it myself, for crying out loud.

I just believe that NOD could have a one-on-one sit-down with every collector on the planet, and it wouldn't make any difference in how the hobby operates. I just don't think there are enough collectors who are passionate enough about pressing to make any changes in their buying habits.

Jeff, that's why your suggestions are so bogus. You have a personal gripe with some people in NOD. You let that cause you to leave. You are free to believe what you want. I believe quite differently. The evidence is in front of you:

If outright disclosure of presssing is such a non-issue, why are NO dealers disclosing up front?

Because they know what will happen.

End of story. You can spin it any way you want. But the difference between you and me is that I believe discussion is good. I'm not afraid to be proven wrong if that ends up the case. But you just want to halt the discussion, and dumb down any thread where a halfway serious discussion about pressing and disclosure evolves.

So you may agree with some of the principles of NOD, but you don't want the organization to succeed on a personal level. So you won't mind if I call your "suggestions" hypocritical.

Make your own dang t-shirts if you are so impassioned about the issues.

But you won't.

You missed this part:

when comparing the two assuming that the pressing is disclosed at the time of the sale.

As far as being a hot button topic, the reality is that most pressing is NOT disclose. If pressing were disclosed by a label, we wouldn't be having a debate.

So in the real world, signature books have little to do with the current state of pressing in the hobby.

[ and they said I couldn't multi-task lol ]

That says more about your cynical nature than the reality of the situation. I see an organization that wants to effect change, but isn't trying hard enough. I simply offered some constructive ideas. Anything beyond that was manufactured by your cynical imagination.

If I wanted the conversation to end, as you suggest, why would I be offering ideas for how NOD could succeed?

Because you don't want them to succeed. That's what's so bogus about your suggestions.

You said it yourself, I left NOD because of a personality conflict. It was not because I have any problem whatsoever with disclosure. I practice it myself, for crying out loud.

I just believe that NOD could have a one-on-one sit-down with every collector on the planet, and it wouldn't make any difference in how the hobby operates. I just don't think there are enough collectors who are passionate enough about pressing to make any changes in their buying habits.

Jeff, that's why your suggestions are so bogus. You have a personal gripe with some people in NOD. You let that cause you to leave. You are free to believe what you want. I believe quite differently. The evidence is in front of you:

If outright disclosure of presssing is such a non-issue, why are NO dealers disclosing up front?

Because they know what will happen.

End of story. You can spin it any way you want. But the difference between you and me is that I believe discussion is good. I'm not afraid to be proven wrong if that ends up the case. But you just want to halt the discussion, and dumb down any thread where a halfway serious discussion about pressing and disclosure evolves.

So you may agree with some of the principles of NOD, but you don't want the organization to succeed on a personal level. So you won't mind if I call your "suggestions" hypocritical.

Make your own dang t-shirts if you are so impassioned about the issues.

But you won't.

You answered your own question. They don't disclose upfront because it's a non-issue. They probably also don't disclose upfront what they had for breakfast that morning, but I'm sure of you asked, they'd be happy to tell you.

I don't believe discussion is good? What are we doing here? I'm even offering constructive ideas, which you ignore because of the blinders you've got on because of your opinion of me.

And why would I be impassioned enough about pressing to make the T-Shirts myself? Even NOD isn't impassioned enough to make a T-shirt or hand out a flyer.

They won't disclose because they're TERRIFIED that they'll lose a few bucks. Where have you been, dude?

You're spinning this so hard, you've gone and made yourself dizzy! Slow down! lol

You are the penultimate sour graper!

You missed this part:

As far as being a hot button topic, the reality is that most pressing is NOT disclose. If pressing were disclosed by a label, we wouldn't be having a debate.

So in the real world, signature books have little to do with the current state of pressing in the hobby.

Again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Who am I to try and change anyone else's mind to conform to my personal views? :)

You missed this part:

Again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Who am I to try and change anyone else's mind to conform to my personal views? :)

Whatever, baby. Whew!

They won't disclose because they're TERRIFIED that they'll lose a few bucks. Where have you been, dude?

You're spinning this so hard, you've gone and made yourself dizzy! Slow down! lol

You are the penultimate sour graper!

You still haven't answered my questions:

1) Why hasn't NOD done more to get it's message across?

2) If there are huddled masses out there ignorant of undisclosed pressing, why weren't there ANY new faces at the NOD panel in SD? 25,000 people chose not to come to a panel on the state of the hobby. Where are those massses desperate to be enlightened?

Why are you so obsessed with NOD? :screwy:

Take a chill pill Jeff!

Are you capable of engaging in a constructive discussion without bringing anything personal into it, or questioning why someone is a part of the discussion?

It's a fair question, considering you're constantly hitting NOD over the head for not taking actions you think would be cool. That's what I call passive aggressive behavior.

You left the organization. By choice, as you have continually posted.

Write them a letter if you have any more cool suggestions. (thumbs u

Not that I don't expect this to be frustrating but JESUS guys! There are 3 types of collectors in my opinion:

1) Those who know about pressing and don't consider it resto and don't care if it's disclosed.

2) Those who know about pressing and don't consider it resto and want it disclosed all the time.

3) Those who know about pressing and consider it resto and would require its disclosure.

4) Those who don't know what pressing is. Thus, they don't know to ask nor what to do if disclosed.

What I understand is that NOD's position has nothing to do with whether it is resto or not. Disclosure is key. The reason people/dealers should disclose is b/c of 4 primarily, then 3 and then 2. If the theory is correct that those among 1 have no price sensitivity to pressing, then disclosure to 1 should not be a problem either. In the end, I see no reason to NOT disclose.

An analogy is to the world of products liability law. There didn't used to be warnings on many products. Lots of people think the warning on WD-40 cans to not incinerate is pointless b/c they don't burn their trash. Some people agree that it's nice information to have but they don't burn their trash either. There are some people who burn their trash and wouldn't know about the can's tendency to explode when burned, without the warning.

Not that I don't expect this to be frustrating but JESUS guys! There are 3 types of collectors in my opinion:

1) Those who know about pressing and don't consider it resto and don't care if it's disclosed.

2) Those who know about pressing and don't consider it resto and want it disclosed all the time.

3) Those who know about pressing and consider it resto and would require its disclosure.

4) Those who don't know what pressing is. Thus, they don't know to ask nor what to do if disclosed.

What I understand is that NOD's position has nothing to do with whether it is resto or not. Disclosure is key. The reason people/dealers should disclose is b/c of 4 primarily, then 3 and then 2. If the theory is correct that those among 1 have no price sensitivity to pressing, then disclosure to 1 should not be a problem either. In the end, I see no reason to disclose.

An analogy is to the world of products liability law. There didn't used to be warnings on many products. Lots of people think the warning on WD-40 cans to not incinerate is pointless b/c they don't burn their trash. Some people agree that it's nice information to have but they don't burn their trash either. There are some people who burn their trash and wouldn't know about the can's tendency to explode when burned, without the warning.

Thank you. You get it! Nicely laid out without the personal whining and agendas attached.

Another big reason people/dealers should disclose is because it's the ethical thing to do and it shows a shred of respect for the customer.

How is offering suggestions in how to better get their message across passive-aggressive? That's just a bizarre statement.

You still haven't answered my questions.

I'll answer anything you want if you answer my original question about NOD:

Do you want NOD as an organization to suceed?

Yes or No.

Simple. Yes or No.

How is offering suggestions in how to better get their message across passive-aggressive? That's just a bizarre statement.

Yes or No.

Simple. Yes or No.

Yes, always have. I just don't think enough people care to effect change.

Now answer my questions.

If you want NOD to suceed, why don't you come back? I'll front you the membership fee and you can take all your concerns directly to the guys that make strategy decisions!

:acclaim:

I think the convention table idea has already been discussed and is in the works for a future con. And personally, I can't wait to design a t-shirt. But we have a PR guy and you should go ask him for the specifics.

But like I said, most of us have day jobs. And I'm personally happy with the progress we've made. And the rate of progress.

Anything else?

Yes or No.

Simple. Yes or No.

Good luck getting a yes or no and totally unqualified answer.

If you want NOD to suceed, why don't you come back? I'll front you the membership fee and you can take all your concerns directly to the guys that make strategy decisions!

:acclaim:

Because, as I said, I don't believe enough people care enough to effect change. And I don't need to go directly to the the guys that make strategy decisions. I know they read these threads because they PM me about them.

Now answer my questions.