• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Feel The Church Books Being Stored in Stacks

597 posts in this topic

How convenient for grading services that they can choose to go against all established and respected fields of ephemera and paper conservation and decide that pressing is not resto and need not be disclosed.

Other than currency and trading cards, are any other paper collectibles subject to the same kind of scrutiny (i.e. third party grading) as comic books?

How convenient for grading services that they can choose to go against all established and respected fields of ephemera and paper conservation and decide that pressing is not resto and need not be disclosed.

Other than currency and trading cards, are any other paper collectibles subject to the same kind of scrutiny (i.e. third party grading) as comic books?

I'm sure there's a point to your post, but garldang it......I couldn't find it, Tex. (shrug)

are "pressed" in the way we use the term "pressing" in the various "pressing threads"?

And in answer to your question POV....they're completely different things. (thumbs u

Nod-a-phobia is a terrible condition. Seek treatment soon, guys.

And Doc....thanks for continuing to add your special brand of "class" to the boards. Very nice. You always make me feel like I'm back in junior high again with your word choice. lol

I've always believed in the theory that those who don't have the brain or vocabulary power to mount a real argument will always result to the personal insult.

Bravo, guys. :golfclap:

Richard, you're intruding on a NOD orgy. (tsk)

Now turn the lights back off and quietly back out of the room.

It's funny you should say that, Jeff. lol However, I thought of it more as a circle jerk. :blush:

I still don't understand why undisclosed alterations are the one caveate where some think it's ok to decide for others.

Date stamps? Some love the history, some think they're distracting. No problem. Cover sigs? Some like autographs, some think they're defacing. No problem...

But for some reason the people who prefer the results of undisclosed alterations have decided that everyone should fall in line with their preference. Why is that? I can't think of any other area of comic collecting where respect for other's right to choose evaporates so quickly.

Richard, you're intruding on a NOD orgy. (tsk)

Now turn the lights back off and quietly back out of the room.

It's funny you should say that, Jeff. lol However, I thought of it more as a circle jerk. :blush:

I still don't understand why undisclosed alterations are the one caveate where some think it's ok to decide for others.

Date stamps? Some love the history, some think they're distracting. No problem. Cover sigs? Some like autographs, some think they're defacing. No problem...

But for some reason the people who prefer the results of undisclosed alterations have decided that everyone should fall in line with their preference. Why is that? I can't think of any other area of comic collecting where respect for other's right to choose evaporates so quickly.

I agree 100%. Now, apply that same statement to the question of whether or not pressing is restoration.

Couldn't we say the same thing about you? From where I sit, the hobby has already decided how to handle pressing, and the anti-pressers are a minority that wants to change it.

Couldn't we say the same thing about you? From where I sit, the hobby has already decided how to handle pressing, and the anti-pressers are a minority that wants to change it.

That's a blatant distortion of the facts. That's why I can never take your arguments seriously.

Please define "the hobby".

Because on some level, they're threatened by this opposing minority view which, if it was such a minority, would be most practically handled by ignoring it. No one is trying to force anyone to do anything. Another blatant distortion.

It's an opposing view.

Every time these guys come up with these silly responses, it really hurts their own case. So I love the chance to post with them every time. The arrogance comes through loud and clear.

The presumption, that there is some "hobby" out there that's taking care of everyone is baloney. He's talking about CGC (who really doesn't need supporters like these), a handful of dealers and a handful of high end collectors who are scared to death their holdings may eventually be devalued in some way.

It's about knowing what's going on, and giving the average collector a choice. Deal with it, guys.

I'm not sure high end collectors/dealers are concerned their collections will be devalued if CGC were to ever reverse their stance. I just don't see us lining up to resub our books for another check.

Because on some level, they're threatened by this opposing minority view which, if it was such a minority, would be most practically handled by ignoring it. No one is trying to force anyone to do anything. Another blatant distortion.

It's an opposing view.

Every time these guys come up with these silly responses, it really hurts their own case. So I love the chance to post with them every time. The arrogance comes through loud and clear.

The presumption, that there is some "hobby" out there that's taking care of everyone is baloney. He's talking about CGC (who really doesn't need supporters like these), a handful of dealers and a handful of high end collectors who are scared to death their holdings may eventually be devalued in some way.

It's about knowing what's going on, and giving the average collector a choice. Deal with it, guys.

For some reason, I can just picture you in your studio, standing on a dais and rehearsing this speech in front of all your stuffed animals. :)

That's a blatant distortion of the facts. That's why I can never take your arguments seriously.

The hobby being those who collect Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze comics. And I would expect you to think my post is a distortion of the facts, as you and yours refuse to recognize the reality of the situation.

And I stopped taking your posts seriously a long time ago, when you took it upon yourself to become the NOD pit bull. Your posts have become increasingly unpleasant and nasty.

I'm not talking about CGC changing their position. They won't. They're locked into it. Forever. And I don't blame them a bit.

But here's the real heresy: Collectors have a right to decide for themselves. Amazing stuff, eh?

:popcorn: