• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Will generation that grew up with everything still want to collect stuff?

79 posts in this topic

Prior to WW-II, if someone collected something, it was traditional antiques 100+ years old like furniture, jewelry, art, etc. There was no such thing as "collectables".

That all changed. Ths kids of 1930-1945 dealt with war and the depression. as kids, they were deprived of a lot of stuff. When they became adults, they became collecting packrats.

The kids of 1946 to 1980 had an ever increasing amount of "stuff" in their houses, but their parents threw it all out because it was "junk". As adults, they had a desire to get their childhood stuff back, thus fueling the golden age of "collectables" collecting.

But post 1980 kids, and especially post 1990 kids had so much stuff in their houses, they never wanted for anything. And there parents often never threw anything out, because "it might be worth something one day".

So are these kids going to have the desire to collect stuff as adults? They were never deprived, and there stuff was not put in the garbage, and they grew up with ebay in their lives. Are they going to feel the "need to collect" stuff like previous generations?

I think it's innate. People will always collect stuff. WHAT the next generation is into collecting will be interesting. Most kids these days are mainly into video games, so logic dictates they will collect those when older.

But, you don't need to own a physical thing to play a game- you can just download the software.

I wonder what will happen to comics collecting when you can download every comic ever made via some version of iTunes?

They'll collect SOMETHING, but what they collect might surprise us. I'm going to make a bold prediction...

Video Games.

I think younguns will grow up and probably try to find sealed versions of their favorite games. And the Collectors Edition with "bonus DVD" will probably be particularly popular. Soon, a company will arise that will grade video games. And people will find out that tiny ding in the metal case for Assassin's Creed actually made their game practically worthless. So they'll have to run around finding a 9.8 copy to get signed by their favorite programmer.

Or maybe it'll be something else.

Fortunately, our hobby will be alive and well as long as our tickers are still tickin. And since you can't take them with you, I'm content to think that's good enough!

EDIT: Well, I just read the post above this. My bad. Doesn't sounds so original now! lol

I don't really see the game collecting. The nostalgia is in playing, and there are countless emulators out there. Everyone I know who is nostalgic for video games is happy enough with that.

That's exactly the point. People used to "read" comics too. And the nostalgia was in re-reading. And there were countless reprints out there. But when they become old enough for a kid to find an Atari cartridge and think "wow this is older than my dad" and "it's the first appearance of Mario" ...

It could be something else too. I just have a hunch it'll be something you wouldn't expect.

And if they read their comics exclusively digitally then they won't get the tactile experience of flipping through the pages and having a pile of them to read. I think this is at least a small part of the experience that can trigger nostalgia.

Start hoarding sealed video games (especially the more obscure games and RPGs) if you want what will be sought after in 20 - 30 years. Why woud anybody save a sealed video game that you can't play? Not many will. That is exactly why they will be valuable to this generation when they hit 35 - 50. Comics in slabs are the same thing. You can read them in some other form (online, trade paperback, reprint) but it sometimes doesn't match owning a pristine piece of your childhood (or your father's childhood). Not many thought to keep their comics in pristine condition back in the golden age. Same with video games today. They will still be able to play them in some form in 20 to 30 years but the original edition (so to speak) will be incredibly value to many.

Yeah, I know they have value now, but it's a marginal interest, like toy collecting or comic collecting is. Will it take off, I don't think so . there will always be people who want them, but I think a lot of those people are already buying them. I tend to see a simplification of people's lives as they get more used to digital living, transience of possessions and smaller living spaces. 20 years is a LOOOOONNG time, think back 20 years and what has changed since 1988. (shrug)

Prior to WW-II, if someone collected something, it was traditional antiques 100+ years old like furniture, jewelry, art, etc. There was no such thing as "collectables".

That all changed. Ths kids of 1930-1945 dealt with war and the depression. as kids, they were deprived of a lot of stuff. When they became adults, they became collecting packrats.

The kids of 1946 to 1980 had an ever increasing amount of "stuff" in their houses, but their parents threw it all out because it was "junk". As adults, they had a desire to get their childhood stuff back, thus fueling the golden age of "collectables" collecting.

But post 1980 kids, and especially post 1990 kids had so much stuff in their houses, they never wanted for anything. And there parents often never threw anything out, because "it might be worth something one day".

So are these kids going to have the desire to collect stuff as adults? They were never deprived, and there stuff was not put in the garbage, and they grew up with ebay in their lives. Are they going to feel the "need to collect" stuff like previous generations?

Good post. I would add that during WWII things were rationed.

People didn't like it, but they felt it was for the good of the country.

I can't prove this but I would suspect that a few people started accumulating items as a hoard mentality in case such rationing ever occured again.

They couldn't drive anywhere they wanted to. That would wear out your tires with no new tires available for quite a while. Also you had to have a certain amount of Gas coupons to fill up your tank.

You had to turn in your old used container of toothpaste to be able to get a new one.

I wonder how the current generation would handle being limited in buying things.

I tend to see a simplification of people's lives as they get more used to digital living, transience of possessions and smaller living spaces.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I think we are moving to a more simple lifestyle with the digital age and environmental awareness. Less paper and less stuff and less space are definitely going to be the norm.

And, don't take my advice on buying for profit on anything. Anyone want some Starting Line-ups figures, or Star Wars Power of the Force Figures? Or how about some 1990 Donruss baseball cards? I'll make you a good deal on some X-Force #1s (still sealed even). doh!

[And, don't take my advice on buying for profit on anything. Anyone want some Starting Line-ups figures, or Star Wars Power of the Force Figures? Or how about some 1990 Donruss baseball cards? I'll make you a good deal on some X-Force #1s (still sealed even). doh!

I had alot of that , too. The lesson is; once everyone starts collecting it, it won't be worth anything in the future. What year did everyone start saving comic books? 1975?

Yup. Comic books will be worthless in a few years....

I guess it's time for you guys to unload all books while you can.

I'll take the following:

ASM 1

AF 15

FF 1

FF 49

XM 1

Etc

Also throw in whatever timely books you have in HG.

Only if they are HG at least 9.6 and up.

How does $100 shipped sound?

lol

Then there's the drive to collect. While reprints abound in fine arts, either with posters or other images, the originals command millions. With software, music, or hollywood there really is no "original" anymore other than say a -script or draft which will always be collectible to some degree.

Fundamentals to collecting are physical/tangible, transportable, identifiable, historical, and personal. Rare but not one of a kind.

Most of the things are probably already collected to some extent but will explode depending on the mood of the Gen XYZers. Same with comics or cards or coins of today: There were collectors all through the years, were just at a different level now.