• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I Hate International Bidders!!!

81 posts in this topic

When I sell on here...and it hasn't been that often, I am always willing to sell to foreign bidders...but I am very reluctant on Ebay lately...I DO, but only if someone asks...

Why? Because I really don't want to write on the auction, that I won't lie about the price that was paid...I think those disclaimers sound rude and awful...and they turn me off, even though I live in the US.

But truthfully, more than 1/2 the bidders I was getting (and this is on glass and china, too) ask me to lie...and mark the item a gift under a certain amount. I'm just not comfortable signing the forms that way...and if it's something breakable, I want to send it insured, and I'm sure that mis-listing it on the customs forms will void the insurance...it's enough of a hassle to collect under normal circumstances.

So...I was just wondering...do any of you guys from outside the US, ever ask a seller to lie on the customs forms?

Just curious how you feel about that?

No for the very same reasons you just listed if something happens to my package I dang well want it Insured! How ever I must say... if you don't say that you're not willing to ship outside then why would anyone ask you if you do first ? :)

Occasionally, I'll put a note on that I WILL ship outside the US if someone asks, but it might be expensive and on those I expect emails, but most times I don't write anything, yet, I'd say I get one or 2 inquiries each time I list auctions on the ones where I never mention a thing, WHY? I have NO clue...except I often sell things other than comics, old jewelry someone in my family needs to get rid of, china...I get inquiries on both...last week, I had emails from Japan, Switzerland, Australia and Germany...I guess the dollar is bad, so people are shopping here.

hello,

as someone who is an international bidder ( i live in Australia), i have to say that all the good stuff (especially comics and Golden age comics) comes from the USA. and over the past year i have spent over $1K in postage alone.

but i understand that that is what postage costs to me as an international buyer.

its just 'the way the cookie crumbles' as they say, that i live outside the US and collect comics, thefore i have to Pay... and im fine with it.

i cant see why a international buyer would complain about shipping costs to the seller. take it up with the postal service or something. postage costs what postage costs. part of life :)

i just want to end by saying that id like to thank each and everyone of you who do decide to sell worldwide and internationally as it allows collectors like myself to get our hands on the books we want. (thumbs u

Thanks,

Bennoss

Bunch of mountebanks!!!

lol (That's hilarious.)

Prithee Squire, couldst thou also regale us with tales of charlatans and ne'er-do-wells?

My liege, there is already a surfeit of brigands, unspeakable knaves, caddish mound - dwellers, rotund wineskins and incorrigible rabble encrusting these very boards as we speak.

And greggys. I hear these rapacious sinning martinets breed like copies of X-Force 1. And it isn't even culling season.....

Bunch of mountebanks!!!

lol (That's hilarious.)

Prithee Squire, couldst thou also regale us with tales of charlatans and ne'er-do-wells?

My liege, there is already a surfeit of brigands, unspeakable knaves, caddish mound - dwellers, rotund wineskins and incorrigible rabble encrusting these very boards as we speak.

And greggys. I hear these rapacious sinning martinets breed like copies of X-Force 1. And it isn't even culling season.....

(worship)

Bravo. Well done, good sir, well done.

When I sell on here...and it hasn't been that often, I am always willing to sell to foreign bidders...but I am very reluctant on Ebay lately...I DO, but only if someone asks...

Why? Because I really don't want to write on the auction, that I won't lie about the price that was paid...I think those disclaimers sound rude and awful...and they turn me off, even though I live in the US.

But truthfully, more than 1/2 the bidders I was getting (and this is on glass and china, too) ask me to lie...and mark the item a gift under a certain amount. I'm just not comfortable signing the forms that way...and if it's something breakable, I want to send it insured, and I'm sure that mis-listing it on the customs forms will void the insurance...it's enough of a hassle to collect under normal circumstances.

So...I was just wondering...do any of you guys from outside the US, ever ask a seller to lie on the customs forms?

I don't recall ever asking for a reduced value to be written on a package.

One issue that we have in Australia is that while comics do not attract duty they do attract 10% G.S.T (Goods & services tax) on items over $1000 Australian.

This means that if I purchase several comics or supplies with a value over $1000 I will ask the seller if they can be split up the items and send them in multiple boxes to escape the 10% GST charge..

The other down side is that if the item is over $1000 in value. You need to fill in Customs forms as to the duty payable even though the final figure will be $0 due to comics not needing to have duty paid. This involves having some legal know how & it is often easier to hire a customs broker at $50. They fill in the forms but you still need to pay the extra 10% GST on the total cost including shipping charges.

Russ...

hello,

as someone who is an international bidder ( i live in Australia), i have to say that all the good stuff (especially comics and Golden age comics) comes from the USA. and over the past year i have spent over $1K in postage alone.

but i understand that that is what postage costs to me as an international buyer.

its just 'the way the cookie crumbles' as they say, that i live outside the US and collect comics, thefore i have to Pay... and im fine with it.

i cant see why a international buyer would complain about shipping costs to the seller. take it up with the postal service or something. postage costs what postage costs. part of life :)

i just want to end by saying that id like to thank each and everyone of you who do decide to sell worldwide and internationally as it allows collectors like myself to get our hands on the books we want. (thumbs u

Thanks,

Bennoss

Totally agree with you about being willing to pay the price required for being outside of the US. The thing that bugs me though is the variance between postage.

I've seen Ebay sellers charge $32 - $35 for postage whilst others charge $20 - $25. Is there really that much of a difference based upon where in the US it is being sent from?

But in the end, if i want the book, then i must be willing to pay the piper his dues to get it.

I don't recall ever asking for a reduced value to be written on a package.

One issue that we have in Australia is that while comics do not attract duty they do attract 10% G.S.T (Goods & services tax) on items over $1000 Australian.

This means that if I purchase several comics or supplies with a value over $1000 I will ask the seller if they can be split up the items and send them in multiple boxes to escape the 10% GST charge..

The other down side is that if the item is over $1000 in value. You need to fill in Customs forms as to the duty payable even though the final figure will be $0 due to comics not needing to have duty paid. This involves having some legal know how & it is often easier to hire a customs broker at $50. They fill in the forms but you still need to pay the extra 10% GST on the total cost including shipping charges.

Russ...

I'd have no problem with splitting boxes...and no problem with filling out forms...that's not saying something worth $100 is really $10...

(thumbs u

I don't think the shipping really varies, in answer to the other question, I think people charge handling because Paypal charges an extra percent AND charges it on the shipping fees too, which is a pain if you sell $10 worth of books and it's a big lot and it has to be shipped for $37.00..

But for those of you who are curious, just check USPS.com, it has all the rates:) just remember there is a premium now for oversized boxes, a BIG one and oversized is pretty small. I charge as close as I can to exact shipping, if I'm wrong, it's usually going to cost me money, or I just refund the difference....but those same US sellers who overcharge for overseas, are the same ummm...SPOONS:) who charged me $20 to ship three books a few weeks ago (from NJ to NY ..about 50 miles from me..;) .

hello,

Thanks,

Bennoss

Great post!

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Good luck with finding the books you need. I have had quite a few Australians purchase from me in the past couple of months... seems to be a new trend.

John :hi:

as an international buyer we do appreciate that postage is going to be more expensive for us, and it will take longer (forever in the case of canada post)

what we don't appreciate is when people use it as an excuse to scalp us , as has happened more times than I'd like (never on this board though, it's an ebay thing).

it's one thing to charge X for international shipping, and then have a package show up with half X as the actual shipping costs, and $10-15 added on top for 'handling'

this is one reason why when an international buyer finds a seller that treats them right, they tend to return.

This week I bought a OFF for 21 $ off Ebay.The seller charged 24 $ postage instead of 11-12 $, which is the actual cost. So I sent him several E Mails about this. However I didnt get an answer and finally I was forced to pay. Otherwise he could strike me with a non paying bidder neg or so. That isnt worth the trouble. 12$ is not that much but I hate to be taken advantage of. This was the first incident of that kind in two years on ebay.

Thomas

P.s. I hope the dollar will fall a little bit more... Buying US Comics was never chaeper & easyer since I started back in 1980.

Germans... :pullhair:

whining, penny-pinching, greedy Germans. :frustrated:

I would really stay away from these guys. They're nothing but trouble.

The exception to the rule is this one guy named hesdeadjim. He's nice, easy to work with and good looking, too! I would mail him my Action #1 if he ever asked to borrow it! :baiting:

:jokealert:

as an international buyer we do appreciate that postage is going to be more expensive for us, and it will take longer (forever in the case of canada post)

what we don't appreciate is when people use it as an excuse to scalp us , as has happened more times than I'd like (never on this board though, it's an ebay thing).

it's one thing to charge X for international shipping, and then have a package show up with half X as the actual shipping costs, and $10-15 added on top for 'handling'

this is one reason why when an international buyer finds a seller that treats them right, they tend to return.

Yup - eBay thing - they do it to their fellow countrymen as well. Got one in the mail a few days ago where the shipping charge was $6, and the actual cost for the media mail shipping used was something like $1.87....., it was also a NM book in Fine condition...., if you know what I mean....., ;)

Yes, I'll ask that someone declare a lower value, but again, I make it clear that it would be appreciated, but that it isn't required. I don't consider it morally wrong because I don't believe I should be paying these fees when they don't apply to used books.... I don't take these frustrations out on the seller. I chalk it up to an unavoidable cost of this silly little hobby, and I move on.

I act and feel pretty much the same way. Declare something a comic book and it generates fees when sent to Canada, call it an old book and it goes through without comment. I like the phrase, "chalk it up to an unavoidable cost of this silly little hobby."

Dennis