• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay sellers who grade poorly

34 posts in this topic

I checked briefly and didn't see a thread along these lines on the first couple of pages, but if there is one, don't hesitate to let me know.

For those of you who buy comics on ebay, here's a list of people I've dealt with who don't grade well. Now understand, in nearly every case, everything else about the transaction was excellent. It's just their grading was way off.

I'm putting this out here to be a help for those of you who do buy on ebay. This is not meant to bash anybody, but is meant to be a factual resource that can help other people who like to purchase accurately graded comics. Hopefully, you can learn from my mistakes. And please feel free to add ebay sellers that you have had experience with who haven't graded well.

One final note, these are all sellers that I have dealt with and bought comics from. None of this info is hearsay, or third party info.

p.zabokrzycki

I bought 5 Avengers from this seller. Issues 183,184,188,189,196

Avengers 183

There's the link for the auction for Avengers #183. The auctions for the other 4 said the same things, "uncirculated" and "mint" condition. Here are the more accurate grades for these 5:

Avengers #183 8.5/9.0, not too far off and the nicest of the bunch

Avengers #184 VG, VG!!!, that's not anywhere close to mint!

Avengers #183 7.0/7.5

Avengers #183 7.0/7.5

Avengers #183 8.0/8.5

At any rate, those are a far cry from "mint"

Here are a couple that I'm not buying from again:

reg523

Listed a bunch of SA X-Men as "NM", "unread", "perfect", etc - when books showed up they were heavily stained, with tons of spine stress, bent corners, pieces torn, etc. doh!

Did give a full refund, though.

e-$ell-it_ny

"Forgot" to disclose on that "NM" book that one of the staples had popped & torn a hole through the side of the book.

djostrander

"Strictly graded 9.0" turned out to be a 7.5 at best.

collectible_planet

To them, VF apparently means "huge water (or possible feces) stain on the back".

Didn't respond to any emails (which is kinda insane for an ebay powerseller), but when I sent the book back anyway, they gave me a refund.

Fortunately, there haven't been too many of this sort for me lately. This is the only one in the past 60 days. I figured this would be a good thread and then I can add to it as I find more. I'll probably start another thread of good graders, as I've dealt with more of those here lately...

yank052

Not a big time seller but I think a warning is necessary. Claims to give the white glove treatment to comics straight out of the case, but they looked like he enjoyed a pizza first with those same gloves on. He never gives the comics a grade in the auction description. Just says "Super Clean". Bought three sets of five copies each (all Copper Age) and all of them were in the 8.0/8.5 range when you're led to believe they're at least NM. Did give refund.

I think this thread belongs in the GENERAL area for more exposure...and it really should be stuck to the top as a Public Service since there are about 50 new threads a week about bad eBay experiences. Maybe if we all email the mods we can get this done?

Anyway...here are a few AWFUL graders I have dealt with...some are well-known, high-volume sellers:

Samco1

Norsemanic

hokeybutt

jwegger

badazbowaz

pleasantpalm

jscomic (NOT to be confused with jscomics who is a GREAT seller!)

zorbaaz

I bought an Iron Man 7 from silver_fox666 and the book was advertised as VF+. When I received the book it had a tear, a corner impact, a big chip out of the spine, and a few other problems. I asked for a refund.

The seller offered me free shipping on the next book I purchased from him. Yeah, like I'm going to buy another book from a guy who can't grade to begin with. :screwy: The guy had the balls to say I got a "great deal" even if the book wasn't in the advertised VF+.

It ended with me leaving negative feedback. I've sold books on e-Bay, but have stopped buying from anyone I don't know.

I think this thread belongs in the GENERAL area for more exposure...and it really should be stuck to the top as a Public Service since there are about 50 new threads a week about bad eBay experiences. Maybe if we all email the mods we can get this done?

Anyway...here are a few AWFUL graders I have dealt with...some are well-known, high-volume sellers:

Samco1

Norsemanic

hokeybutt

jwegger

badazbowaz

pleasantpalm

jscomic (NOT to be confused with jscomics who is a GREAT seller!)

zorbaaz

Norsemanic has to be one of the worst graders I have ever bought from as well. I bought from this person a few times only because I got good deals on the books. I just had to drop his grade by 1.0-1.5 and decide if it was worth it or not. Definitely not worth the headache. AVOID this seller.

Norsemanic has to be one of the worst graders I have ever bought from as well. I bought from this person a few times only because I got good deals on the books. I just had to drop his grade by 1.0-1.5 and decide if it was worth it or not.

--------------------------

If a 1-1.5 pt overgrade is the "worst" you've come by, then you have had very fortunate experiences. Honestly, 1 pt. isn't terribly far from where a lot of long time dealers and OPG advisors diverge from many a CGC grade and CGC can seem to have that much divergence on non-9.4+ type grades. Many of us here have looked a 9.0 BA slab and scrtched our head wondering how it was more than a 7.0 and looked at a 9.0 and wondered why it wasn't a 9.4-9.6.

This is from Doug's Comics and I believe it to be true as there our horrendous graders on e-bay.

Quote Doug's Comic World

Many inexperienced sellers, VERY commonly Mis-Grade FN/VF or VF copies as NM or "Mint" on eBay; Many INCORRECTLY assume if they bought it new & are Original Owner, it has to be "Mint"

http://www.dougcomicworld.com/INVENTORY-MarvelSite.html

nanoc

I hope this is the case because if not there defrauding people.

Norsemanic has to be one of the worst graders I have ever bought from as well. I bought from this person a few times only because I got good deals on the books. I just had to drop his grade by 1.0-1.5 and decide if it was worth it or not.

--------------------------

If a 1-1.5 pt overgrade is the "worst" you've come by, then you have had very fortunate experiences. Honestly, 1 pt. isn't terribly far from where a lot of long time dealers and OPG advisors diverge from many a CGC grade and CGC can seem to have that much divergence on non-9.4+ type grades. Many of us here have looked a 9.0 BA slab and scrtched our head wondering how it was more than a 7.0 and looked at a 9.0 and wondered why it wasn't a 9.4-9.6.

Norsemaniac is notoriously known for being a terrible grader.

I don't know if this thread would ever get stickied, or even moved, as it hovers on the edge of what is allowable, given that it would provide a forum for people to fairly or unfairly make derogatory statements about grading, a subjective art/science to begin with. A savvy seller, upon reading his name mentioned in any sort of thread like this, would probably get no resistance if they asked CGC to pull it