• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Comics and Tanning

46 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on tanning lines on the front or back cover?

1. Can't stand it

2. Would still buy the book for a discount

3. No problems with it

Here's an example. The tan lines are a little darker in person. For me, it is

distracting and I will be looking for an "upgrade".

JusticeLeague63backcover.jpg

I don't like FC tanning, but the BC is not really too much of an issue for me. If I had my choice though I would prefer any tanning to be limited to the inside covers

Vague enough answer for you? :grin:

That's not tanning, it's a dust shadow. CGC hits hard for one, barely at all for the other.

:blush:

Thanks October, I always thought that was tanning lines.

No problem. Tanning will usually be relatively even across the border. If the line is diagonal chances are it's a dust shadow.

CGC kills books with tanning, but dust shadows are basically ignored, so telling them apart can be pretty important when it comes to grading or pricing a book with these defects.

Tim should have pointed this out in his post above. Maybe he was asleep at the wheel. :baiting:

That's not tanning, it's a dust shadow. CGC hits hard for one, barely at all for the other.

:blush:

Thanks October, I always thought that was tanning lines.

No problem. Tanning will usually be relatively even across the border. If the line is diagonal chances are it's a dust shadow.

CGC kills books with tanning, but dust shadows are basically ignored, so telling them apart can be pretty important when it comes to grading or pricing a book with these defects.

Tim should have pointed this out in his post above. Maybe he was asleep at the wheel. :baiting:

lol

It appears that all high-grade JLA collectors have been "falling asleep at the wheel"

(ie: JLA collecting thread)

October, if you have a chance could you post a book with "tanning on the front or back cover" for my education.

thanks,

johnny

I absolutely hate tanning. Dust shadows I will take to a certain extent. I cant really foresee a book that I will take that has significant tanning on it unless there really is no other option. White Pages on old books, has a nice ring to it by the way.

Light dust shadows are tolerable imho.

October, if you have a chance could you post a book with "tanning on the front or back cover" for my education.

thanks,

johnny

I'm at school without a scanner. I have a bunch of books with interior edge tanning, but no digital camera either. :( I can try in a week when I get home, but someone should be able to help you out before then...

Nevermind. Found one...the bottom edge is the best example.

Tanning will often get progressively lighter as it moves further into the book away from the edge. Dust shadows will be one color, with a definite boundary line.

Detective_291back.jpg

Tanning will often get progressively lighter as it moves further into the book away from the edge. Dust shadows will be one color, with a definite boundary line.

Detective_291back.jpg

Thanks October (thumbs u

The differences to me are subtle---I don't know if I would be confident when looking

at a book by myself.

Would the top edge be tanning also? Kind of looks similar to my example except that it is more of a straight edge rather than slanted. (shrug)

Detective_291back.jpg

Thanks October (thumbs u

The differences to me are subtle---I don't know if I would be confident when looking

at a book by myself.

Would the top edge be tanning also? Kind of looks similar to my example except that it is more of a straight edge rather than slanted. (shrug)

A lot of the time tanning will be on all of the edges, but not always. It can be hard to tell them apart, but once you see enough examples of both you'll pick up on it.

Detective_291back.jpg

Thanks October (thumbs u

at a book by myself.

A lot of the time tanning will be on all of the edges, but not always. It can be hard to tell them apart, but once you see enough examples of both you'll pick up on it.

Would this amount of tanning automatically take the book down below 9.4 (when it gets slabbed) even if it had no other defects?

I view them as effectively the same thing, as they both mar the aesthetic quality of the book. Of course tanning is much worse in terms of the health of the book.

You ain`t just whistling dixie. Here is the back cover to one of the most expensive comics ever sold. It got a 9.6 from CGC.

Backcover.jpg

:sorry: