• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONTEST - GUESS THE CGC GRADE - 3 Awesome Goldenage Books

100 posts in this topic

47 forum members graded the books and not a single winner. hm

Looks like Warlord was the closest but no cigar. Missed the Superman by .5!

October was second with 2 right guesses. Missed the Superman by 1.0

Only one person guess the Superman correct - Inconceivable was that forum member. Though book to grade.

[font:Lucida Console] THANKS FOR PLAYING FOLKS and I"M HAPPY WITH RESULTS![/font]

Happy? Heck, I would still be dancing in the street

47 guessers with 141 separate guesses and only 21 were correct. and it's interesting to me that the preponderance of guesses were on the low end............

i'm always thinking that it's easiest to overgrade from a scan because of what you can't see, yet here we go collectively undergrading all three of these books........... hm(shrug)

we were LOW 80% of the time :o

CORRECT 15% and,

HIGH only 5%

47 guessers with 141 separate guesses and only 21 were correct. and it's interesting to me that the preponderance of guesses were on the low end............

i'm always thinking that it's easiest to overgrade from a scan because of what you can't see, yet here we go collectively undergrading all three of these books........... hm(shrug)

CORRECT 15% and,

HIGH only 5%

That's because we have a bunch of haters on this board that like to appear to be super tough graders. I wonder if they grade their books the same way? hm

In defense of "the gang"....I think all three books had specific defects (decent-sized chip missing on #1, some kind of bleariness on the back of #2...it was just a printing error I guess?, hairline/crease on #3) that made these tough to grade, especially from scans.

We bombed the worst on the Superman. To be honest I'm still surprised that a chip that size is OK in 5.5, nice as the book is. Shows you what I know!

CORRECT 15% and,

HIGH only 5%

Reminds me of the time the boards graded this in the 7.0-8.0 range. :roflmao:

DarkMysteries19cgc9.jpg

CORRECT 15% and,

HIGH only 5%

DarkMysteries19cgc9.jpg

Gift grade.

CORRECT 15% and,

HIGH only 5%

DarkMysteries19cgc9.jpg

Gift grade.

(tsk)

CORRECT 15% and,

HIGH only 5%

That's because we have a bunch of haters on this board that like to appear to be super tough graders. I wonder if they grade their books the same way? hm

i bet your arm is tired from casting all those aspersions. i wouldn't be surprised one bit if there were many here who undergraded their own books in relation to CGC. i guess it doesn't really matter unless it's time to sell (shrug)

CORRECT 15% and,

HIGH only 5%

i bet your arm is tired from casting all those aspersions. i wouldn't be surprised one bit if there were many here who undergraded their own books in relation to CGC. i guess it doesn't really matter unless it's time to sell (shrug)

Yup, I'm sure most people here call their VF books FNs. :screwy: Especially when it's time to sell.

47 forum members graded the books and not a single winner. hm

Looks like Warlord was the closest but no cigar. Missed the Superman by .5!

October was second with 2 right guesses. Missed the Superman by 1.0

Only one person guess the Superman correct - Inconceivable was that forum member. Though book to grade.

[font:Lucida Console] THANKS FOR PLAYING FOLKS and I"M HAPPY WITH RESULTS![/font]

:acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim:

I sent in 3 books to CGC and will have grades within a week. So, guess the grade of each book and lets find out who is the closest to CGC grades. If someone guesses the CGC grade for all three books I will send out a sharp bronze book above VF/NM. The book will be Kull or something along those lines.

Book 1 - SUPERMAN 24

Superman245.jpg

Superman245-1.jpg

Book 2 - Tomb of Terror 3

TombofTerror39.jpg

TombofTerror39-1.jpg

Book 3 - Wonder Woman 57 - there is no crease in URC. Just a hairline missing very minor color. Scan really blows it out of proportion.

WonderWoman578.jpg

WonderWoman578-1.jpg

4.0,7.5 6.5

[font:System][font:System]Tomb of Terror 3 8/52 Universal 8.0 OFF-WHITE 8.0 [/font]

Superman 24 9-10/43 Universal 5.5 OFF-WHITE 5.5

Wonder Woman 57 1-2/53 Universal 8.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 8.0 [/font]

Consistently .5 below the CGC grade....that's about right and exactly why I never win those grading contests......congrats on the grades.

comicdey ………. 5.0 \ 7.5 \ 7.5

In defense of "the gang"....I think all three books had specific defects (decent-sized chip missing on #1, some kind of bleariness on the back of #2...it was just a printing error I guess?, hairline/crease on #3) that made these tough to grade, especially from scans.

We bombed the worst on the Superman. To be honest I'm still surprised that a chip that size is OK in 5.5, nice as the book is. Shows you what I know!

I totally agree on that book. while it's a lovely piece of Classic GA comics, that ULC, chip out of the top, chunk out of URC and the sunshadow on the entire right edge, make for a lesser grade IMHO.

having said that, i have an FF #2 with a bigger chunk out of the ULC that garnered a 6.5. (admittedly, there's not much else wrong with the book).

CORRECT 15% and,

HIGH only 5%

EXCEPT, that this was not an accurate poll at all. We were all jockeying for the available grades . . . not pure guesses :grin:

So, your analysis is meaningless . . . uh, more or less :whistle: