• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pictoral Study of Blue Label books with noted "resto"

63 posts in this topic

Two more for the study.

Batman2.jpg

Mad1.jpg

Mike, if these are your books do you have any notes on these books? Any idea why the graded the way they did and where the glue is?

R.

These are both my books, but I've never called for graders notes. I did check them out with my black light, but I wasnt able to determine where the glue was on either. Most likely it is directly on the spine, which as I'm sure you know, can be quite hard to see really well through the cgc holder. If you want to call about them, please post the grading notes, I would love to know them (although i'm not curious enough to actually pick up the phone myself :insane: )

Here you go Roy...

allwinners4.jpg

This one has some glue in the feathered area at the top and middle of the spine.

My opinion, it was done very early for prevention of spine splitting and is not restoring anything.

ddhitler.jpg

This was bought as a PLOD. There was light color touch, professionally applied,

on the feathered white line on about 40% of the spine.

Matt was able to remove almost all of it, or at least enough to get it into a blue label.

I have no idea where the remaining "very minor amount" is, but (my opinion) I would guess that

on that feathered area through the brown part of Hitler's jacket some of the hue of the color touch remains.

We can get into a semantic discussion here...

My opinion - If you pull up a color touch, underneath can be one of three things - 1) nothing 2)bleed through 3)a stain.

Some of you might not agree that there is a difference between bleed through and a stain in regards to inks.

One goes through the fibers of the paper and comes out on the other side (visible on both sides)

while the other only affects the surface of one side.

This may be a tiny distinction, but it could have some bearing on whether or not a book gets a blue or purple label.

Many of the Larson copies have a small drop of glue at the bindery chip area at the top or bottom of the spine....

mm6.jpg

mystic3.jpg

My opinion is that this was done as prevention (against further chipping) rather than restoration.

As for the color on the Marvel 6, I have never been able to spot it, nor have I called for the notes. It must be tiny.

There looks to be a trend of glue, tape, and minor color touch being acceptable for a blue label if the book was not structurally modified otherwise. This makes sense to some degree.

I'd be curious if any books have had a piece replaced or filled in and still received a blue label.

I'd be curious if any books have had a piece replaced or filled in and still received a blue label.

I have never seen a book with that degree of work receive a blue label.

I have never seen a book with that degree of work receive a blue label.

Unless my Spider-sense is off, I am quite sure that every blue label book out there with any sort of notes has an only very minor CT or glue.

R.