• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pictoral Study of Blue Label books with noted "resto"

63 posts in this topic

Always Remember...Grade the whole book!

And that "whole" book is a 4.5.

Ouch! That is harsh.

I kinda thought you started with perfection of 10 and worked your way down....with certain items (notably white pages) being pluses ......page quality can subtract not add to grade (but may add to price)....cover gloss again makes a book more attractive but add to price not the technical grade...that's why i always like Payette's infamous grading system with "o/w" ("otherwise") being the best descriptor of the condition of a comic for me.

After all, all these fancy schmancy codes are to do is communicate to another the "condition" of the book- which often translates into what one will pay.....(Never mind....far to philosophical for a football sunday)......jon

Ouch. That's not a 4.5 and a rather harsh post. I would like to know if the "scratches" down the right side of the cover are printing defects, or what?

It does seem so far that the "resto" did not improve the grade fo most if not all the books posted with blue label/resto noted.

Ouch. That's not a 4.5 and a rather harsh post. I would like to know if the "scratches" down the right side of the cover are printing defects, or what?

It does seem so far that the "resto" did not improve the grade fo most if not all the books posted with blue label/resto noted.

Seems to me that this thread has presented us with an opportunity to define a new term in the hobby. This term would encompass work done in perhaps the spirit of "restoration" or "fixing" - as in Bedrock's examples, supra - but completed in such a way as to miss the restoration boat.

Simply put, I don't think these books can now be classified as "restored," since the eye appeal of the book and structural grade of the book - the two chief determinants of a successful restoration in my book (no pun intended) - have not been increased. Maybe "Alteration?"

(shrug)

I dunno. Could be the standard comic book collector urge to compartmentalise on my part

Do you really believe the book is only a 4.5?

If true, then is the post really questioning the validity of CGC? Are the graders off that much or is there a conspiracy in regard to pedigrees or just comics in gerneral? Is that the thrust of the thread? Maybe the graders were having a "bad day"?

From my point of view- the book has decent eye appeal in a major superhero title, with a Larson pedigree. I could buy the book with one days earnings. It was OK with me. Is the book a VF-? F? VG? that's for you guys to argue. I have the VF- label on a Larson Book.

If you or anyone else have overgraded early Actions in a Mile High or Larson pedigree, you are displeased with, , please PM me as I possibly could help you out of your misery. It's the noble thing for me to do.

Jay

Do you really believe the book is only a 4.5?

If true, then is the post really questioning the validity of CGC? Are the graders off that much or is there a conspiracy in regard to pedigrees or just comics in gerneral? Is that the thrust of the thread? Maybe the graders were having a "bad day"?

From my point of view- the book has decent eye appeal in a major superhero title, with a Larson pedigree. I could buy the book with one days earnings. It was OK with me. Is the book a VF-? F? VG? that's for you guys to argue. I have the VF- label on a Larson Book.

If you or anyone else have overgraded early Actions in a Mile High or Larson pedigree, you are displeased with, , please PM me as I possibly could help you out of your misery. It's the noble thing for me to do.

Jay

Jay, do you really believe that book is a 7.5? Come on, be honest. It's about a 5.0 - 5.5 at best. Look at that spine again!

Jay

Jay, do you really believe that book is a 7.5? Come on, be honest. It's about a 5.0 - 5.5 at best. Look at that spine again!

So,........ what are you saying about the 3 CGC's graders regarding this book?

I kinda thought you started with perfection of 10 and worked your way down....with certain items (notably white pages) being pluses ......page quality can subtract not add to grade (but may add to price)....cover gloss again makes a book more attractive but add to price not the technical grade...that's why i always like Payette's infamous grading system with "o/w" ("otherwise") being the best descriptor of the condition of a comic for me.

After all, all these fancy schmancy codes are to do is communicate to another the "condition" of the book- which often translates into what one will pay.....(Never mind....far to philosophical for a football sunday)......jon

First of all, the book has what appears to be rusted staples. Lots of spine wear. Did you notice that while you were working your way down? While your at it, the book has "off-white to white" pages, not "white" pages.

Merry Christmas!

Love, the Shield family..

So,........ what are you saying about the 3 CGC's graders regarding this book?

Just answer the question honestly without any qualifiers, please. meh

Alas you got me. I never buy raw books since I really have very little grading experience. My guess would be I've seen better vf-'s but I believe I've seen worse. I'm basically a financial buyer limiting my buys to lower priced books (such as the Action 28) to protect myself against any one poor buy. I am really depending on pros such as yourself to fully understand the hobby. For me, it's really a hobby using very limited funds.

So, I ask again about the merits of CGC. How would you explain the discrepancy in the grading of this book which you seem adamant is overgraded? :(

Thanks

Jay

You've been saying that about quite a few pretty books lately.

I'm a tight grader.

I can respect that!

Ouch! That is harsh.

My in-laws are in town....all of them....and their dogs.......all of them......

lol I understand. (thumbs u

First of all, the book has what appears to be rusted staples. Lots of spine wear. Did you notice that while you were working your way down? While your at it, the book has "off-white to white" pages, not "white" pages.

Merry Christmas!

Love, the Shield family..

I was making an observation of grading in general, not one defending the grading of this specific book, which i agree has a number of problems which are out of place for its grade.

I will assume "while you were working your way down" and other remarks was neutral internet chatter and not an ad hominem remark. My whole point is that defects only lower a book's grade and that this book seems to have many. If I have misinterpreted your remarks as to my eye sight, I apologize in advance. This is another reason, why I have stayed away from the mine field of editorial comment on these Boards. Should have known better than to wander off my reservation.

Jon