• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever send CGC Submissions via FEDEX, DHL, etc...

15 posts in this topic

Every time I see someone say they use FedEx, I cringe. If you're buying insurance for your shipment via FedEx, you're paying for nothing. Those books get lost, they'll send you 100 $. That is the MAXIMUM (regardless of the amt of insurance you buy) they will pay out on a collectible.

Unless you have your collection personally insured to include shipments, then you will be out if FedEx loses the package. Read their fine print.

Every time I see someone say they use FedEx, I cringe. If you're buying insurance for your shipment via FedEx, you're paying for nothing. Those books get lost, they'll send you 100 $. That is the MAXIMUM (regardless of the amt of insurance you buy) they will pay out on a collectible.

Unless you have your collection personally insured to include shipments, then you will be out if FedEx loses the package. Read their fine print.

hm This sounds like solid advice.

USPS Registered is quite expensive and I think over-kill...that is when the package (like you're sending diamonds or bonds or something) is isolated from all other mail and the carrier is responsible for seeing that package personally from your end to their end...I don't see any big drop in reassurance or dependability in sending Priority with Insurance and delivery confirmation...you have a tracking number, you know exactly when the package was delivered, and you're covered for the actual value you've insured for.

I haven't used UPS or FedEx but I've always figured that would be considerably more expensive (?)...Murph makes an excellent point about the FedEx insurance limitation...

Good information. I didn't know this.

I always use Fed Ex and have sent hundreds of books to CGC this way. Never had an issue. They insure up to $500 by the way. Using Fed Ex at least insures it gets there in 1 or 2 days maximum.

The address to send directly instead of a PO Box is

5501 Communications Blvd

Sarasota, Florida 34240

(thumbs u

You're definitely wrong.. I have intimate experience with them and their "insurance" or if you'd prefer.. from their website:

Packages containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of $100:

1. Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture and collector's items.

3. Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain.

4. Antiques, or any commodity that exhibits the style or fashion of a past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, tableware, glassware, and collector's items such as sports cards, souvenirs and memorabilia. (Collector's coins and stamps may not be shipped. See the Prohibited Items section.)

You're definitely wrong.. I have intimate experience with them and their "insurance" or if you'd prefer.. from their website:

Packages containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of $100:

1. Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture and collector's items.

3. Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain.

4. Antiques, or any commodity that exhibits the style or fashion of a past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, tableware, glassware, and collector's items such as sports cards, souvenirs and memorabilia. (Collector's coins and stamps may not be shipped. See the Prohibited Items section.)

Then just cross your fingers and hope it gets there in 1-2 days. You get what you pay for, and you certainly PAY if you ship the package so it arrives in 1 - 2 days. Pretty low risk that something will actually go wrong while they have it for a maximum of 48 hours.

My experience with FedEx has been great. I've used them consistantly for other documents and boxes. My discount would make it "significantly" cheaper than this registered mail. As stated before it is overkill for a guy like me that sends 2 or 3 raw books valued at $30, the most, collectively.

This is going to be the first time i'm send 12-14 books. And to tell you the truth, all together they are valued @ 95-$105 raw.

So, it would probably make sense for me, that is.

Now, if I were mailing some raw VF+ silver age FFs or ASMs... :flamed:

I send all of my submissions USPS Priority with insurance. I was were sending a book that was sooooooo valuable then maybe I'd send it Registered.

I just wish CGC had a shipping option for less expensive books. I would be nice to not have to pay $30 to have 5 9.6-9.8 moderns returned to you.