• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get a Price Guide!

54 posts in this topic

Correct me if I am wrong, you must be offer/bid 50% of the asking price to enter a bid on Comiclink. That keeps people from offering $ 20.00 on a $1000.00 book. Basically, someone would have to bid $900.00 (50% of $1800.00) or more to get the bid accepted. Since the book is worth about 1/2 of that, maybe $ 400 or so, the books just sit and sit and sit, etc....

I was not trying to cause a whole gay panic wrestling frenzy (not that there's anything wrong with that). I was just shining the light on the incredible high prices that someone is asking for their books on the LINK. This seller has a lot of nice books, but priced so high that people just move on to the next book.

Josh may want to call or email him/her and offer them some selling tips, they might need them.

Correct me if I am wrong, you must be offer/bid 50% of the asking price to enter a bid on Comiclink. That keeps people from offering $ 20.00 on a $1000.00 book. Basically, someone would have to bid $900.00 (50% of $1800.00) or more to get the bid accepted. Since the book is worth about 1/2 of that, maybe $ 400 or so, the books just sit and sit and sit, etc....

I was not trying to cause a whole gay panic wrestling frenzy (not that there's anything wrong with that). I was just shining the light on the incredible high prices that someone is asking for their books on the LINK. This seller has a lot of nice books, but priced so high that people just move on to the next book.

Josh may want to call or email him/her and offer them some selling tips, they might need them.

Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while. :)

This is true. I'm not familiar with the market price of this book so didn't raise the issue of whether 50% of the listed price would be a decent price.

Like I said earlier, some people view CL as free advertising for books that they don't necessarily plan to sell, unless they get some insane price. So they list it at an insane price. Some of these people even privately let people know it's their book, so they can use CL as a free advertising spot, pull the book if someone contacts them directly, and do a deal off-line and save on the CL commissions.

This is a flaw of the CL model, so I agree with you that it's up to Josh to police this kind of thing more tightly. Doug Schmell at Pedigree for instance is more actively involved in approving a listing, and thus vets the listing price.

I have to say, though, that it doesn't really bother me if people list their books at insane prices. I just scroll on down.

based on who greggy (i think) said this seller might be based on the scans, i was thinking more of him trying to inflate the value of his inventory for some unknown purpose. maybe that's the grinch in me talking tho. maybe it's just someone who doesn't know where the decimal belongs.

you guys must not have heard about the TTA plague of last week where 9 out of every 10 copies of TTA mysteriously deteriorated! So now theyre rare as hen's teeth!! $4650 for the SECOND best graded TTA93?? I'll take two!

What happens in the year 4650 ? Time Travel ? Sounds like an important date in history to me.

\

I tend to agree. From a selling standpoint, I've always believed the 2 best strategies are:

1. BEST. Price your stuff VERY competitively and establish that you'll only discount, and only modestly, for bulk transactions. If graded correctly, people know right away what they are getting and at a good price. Not a lot of guessing and easy to come to a quick decision on the book. This strategy works best when people know you, with repeat customers.

2. NEXT BEST. Price your stuff high but not too high, thus allowing some room for bargaining. Maybe 140% (tops) of what you'll take. Not too high so buyer doesn't think you ahve unrealistic expectations about the book. I assume the very high priced dealer either overgrades, overprices based on grade, or both. Too much to figure out and not even worth initiating the haggle. Sellers whose price is too high I don't even bother looking at ANY of their stuff because I figure I'm wasting my time. When books on CL gets listed at too high a price, I get the same vibe, although for a split second I consider if I'm missing something. But 95% of the time I'm not. I'm looking for the seller on CL who wants a reasonable price for his book, not one who's looking to maximize profit, especially not the guy who throws up one of his "preciouses" at 3X FMV just to see if any interest. I have another 40 years to collect and I will eventually find my books at reasonable prices.

Bottom line-sellers can price whatever way they want but IMO there are good strategies and bad strategies and I'm turned off by very high asking prices- usually it's because the seller either can't grade or has unrealistic expectations. If he doesn't have either but has very high asking prices he'll simply lose my business by association.