• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007/2008 GRADING CONTEST: ROUND 6

114 posts in this topic

Nik, I have to ask. How did you grade this book before you sent it in.

R.

I thought it was a strong 9.0 and when I bought from Dave in Chicago last year I thought the same when he sold it to me as a VF+

Why is that?

You feel the books are overgraded based on scans?

Go on and say it, I heard it so many, many times before of " man if thats a 9.2 then all my books are 9.6s" until those making claims like that actually submit their books to be disappointed.

Honestly I run these contest as I have always believed that there is no way to actually grade a book based on a scan, its just fun trying to come close.

I have bought books here and elsewhere because a book looked great on a scan only to be disappointed holding it in hand.

Sorry to pick on you but I just laugh at the constant moaning and groaning of a grade when its someone elses book.

Why is that?

Go on and say it, I heard it so many, many times before of " man if thats a 9.2 then all my books are 9.6s" until those making claims like that actually submit their books to be disappointed.

Honestly I run these contest as I have always believed that there is no way to actually grade a book based on a scan, its just fun trying to come close.

I have bought books here and elsewhere because a book looked great on a scan only to be disappointed holding it in hand.

Sorry to pick on you but I just laugh at the constant moaning and groaning of a grade when its someone elses book.

I always forget that the scans blow all the defects out of proportion and sometimes makes it seem there are ones there when there really aren't :insane:

A book in hand is always easier to tell than a scan :shrug:

Why is that?

Yeah bltches....send in your books and see how they grade them. If you think CGC grades so weak, send in your junk and get the gift grades and ka ching. Works for me :busy:

First, sorry for the trash talk Nik. lol I am enjoying the contest tremendously.

My first reaction was 8.5, but on a closer look I thought it was probably a 9.0 and I gave it a bit of a nudge to 9.2 based on what I learned from the results of the earlier rounds. It's obviously a gorgeous book, so no slight to you or the book intended. I guess at this high grade level, the trick is to figure out whether the small flaws we see are as prominent in hand, and/or whether the book might have high gloss, "freshness" and other qualities that are harder to determine in a scan.

Why is that?

Yeah bltches....send in your books and see how they grade them. If you think CGC grades so weak, send in your junk and get the gift grades and ka ching. Works for me :busy:
(worship)

Why is that?

Prove it with paypal records.

Why is that?

How about my sale of my 9.8 X-men 101 to Watson?

Why is that?

Gift grade.

Why is that?

Gift grade.

Exactly. Send my books yet? :whistle: